Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

"Video games more harmful than guns" some GOP pol says

Link

Yep, now some old fart says video games are worse than the guns themselves. Why is it always some old dipshit Republican saying dumb bullshit like this?

oh no someone doesnt like videogames what will i do

This bullshit comes up every time a shooting occurs, and nothing changes at all. What's the point of this thread, other to circlejerk about "wow he is so wrong"?

Video games is a bigger problem than guns

The man can't even grasp basic grammar, before we even start getting into another discussion about how ridiculous statements like this are. Why is he taken seriously?

EDIT: After double-checking it, apparently this is just a nuance of American English. I stand corrected. He's still an idiot though.

"I think video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people," he told host Chuck Todd.

Man, all these people sent to the hospital or the morgue because of bullet wounds should just get up and stop trying to fool us. They're just faking it; we know it because guns don't affect people.

It's quite bizarre actually, since modern videogames can compete with today's blockbusters in sale figures, I'm surprised the GOP is trying to blacklist them so. You know, considering they are so bought-out by the media industry, or any industry for that matter.

Gez said:

Man, all these people sent to the hospital or the morgue because of bullet wounds should just get up and stop trying to fool us. They're just faking it; we know it because guns don't affect people.

If a person is struck with an illegitimate bullet, the body has a way of shutting the whole thing down.

Or has that joke been run into the ground enough yet?

eargosedown said:

If a person is struck with an illegitimate bullet, the body has a way of shutting the whole thing down.

So we can actually get rid of hospitals, like abortion clinics, seeing as they're not needed. This takes care of the healthcare problem entirely. Thank you, GOP.

Actually most video games are still created by companies that aren't directly owned and controlled by the rest of the vertically integrated global media.

I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that, for example, MPAA hasn't thrown some dollars into the ring trying to get video games restricted, because they represent entertainment competition that they can't control.

Of course, after getting all the existing companies tightly regulated and basically shut down, they'd probably start up their own production companies that manage to get around those rules, just like they do now by controlling the ratings of all movies, even independent ones. The same amount of gore that gets an R rating for an in-company movie will get an independent movie effectively banned from theaters.

Quasar said:

I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that... MPAA hasn't

Double negatives hurt my brain. After meditating on that sentence with my legs crossed and fingers pinched together like ace ventura, I finally figured out that it has one too many negatives. But instead of removing one, I think you should add one more which would have the same effect:

"I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't find out that... MPAA hasn't"

Now we're talking!

The way I see it, videogames are an outlet for the type of behavior that society frowns on: the video game maker gets to put all the stuff lurking in his twisted imagination into the game he's working on, and people get thrills out of doing said twisted stuff even though they're not doing it in real life. I've been playing a lot of Mortal Kombat lately, and I'm pretty sure I don't have a hankering for ripping out people's spines. Heh.

In keeping with my last two posts, we should be bombing the GOP out of existence and working on solar panels in their place for the greater good. I suppose alternately we could bomb games out of existence and dedicate our spare time to more useful pursuits, but I'm more up for less ignorant old religious nutjobs.

It's not only Republicans who don't like video games. I've seen Democrats wanting to ban them a few times.

Anyway, I can see video games strengthening reaction time but not making people want to kill. My dad was trained by CoD while in the police academy to help his reaction time. It didn't make him want to kill, though.

Obsidian said:

The way I see it, videogames are an outlet for the type of behavior that society frowns on:

It's called sublimated violence. After some 30 years of murdering pixels I don't know that I feel any more or less inclined to turn a crowd of strangers into a row of corpses.

As a politician, he thinks it is his job to find the vices which are holding back the progress of the nation.

I submit to him that Republicans, more so than Democrats, but they aren't far behind, are more harmful than guns and we should ban them.

We should just blow away both Dems and Repubs and replace them with a new Video Game Party to save games.

Romero/Hall 2016 VGP!!

Mr. Freeze said:

What's the point of this thread, other to circlejerk about "wow he is so wrong"?

That's the point of the thread. Nothing else. ;)

Clonehunter said:

We should just blow away both Dems and Repubs and replace them with a new Video Game Party to save games.

Romero/Hall 2016 VGP!!

"To win the White House, you must elect me, John Romero"

Facepalm.wad the size of Eternal Doom IV. People really have it in for games these days and will just use any old excuse and say they're worse than such and such. If anyone is gullible enough to believe this guy then I seriously have lost faith in humanity.

Springy said:

If anyone is gullible enough to believe this guy then I seriously have lost faith in humanity.

While I agree with you, really though, it just depends on the person. Some people love a game, some people get obsessed with a game, some people love the game so much that they go completely nuts, think they're in another world where everyone is hell spawn or something, go buy weapons, and shoot up civilians in a public area. While it's highly unlikely, it's possible. But I do think video games are not as dangerous as guns because of the unlikely-hood of something like that happening and that this republican is taking this minor thing too seriously.

Netherstorm said:

While I agree with you, really though, it just depends on the person. Some people love a game, some people get obsessed with a game, some people love the game so much that they go completely nuts, think they're in another world where everyone is hell spawn or something, go buy weapons, and shoot up civilians in a public area. While it's highly unlikely, it's possible. But I do think video games are not as dangerous as guns because of the unlikely-hood of something like that happening and that this republican is taking this minor thing too seriously.

Ye it's true it does really depend on how stable a person is. I do see your point there.

One word alphaomegasin.

That man would rip anyone who says video games kill people a new rectum.

find him on youtube and enjoy his metal look and love for games and articulate vocabulary.

On the topic. People are ignorant, scared of their own shadow, need to take responsibility for their own actions. I am waiting for a fair amount of generations to die off. Though I do not think it will help.

For the record, I started playing DOOM at roughly the same time that Eric Harris did (the autumn of 1994), and at that time I was 3 years younger than him...
But I've obviously outlived him by almost 2 decades and played more WADs than he ever did.
Now what does the angry politician have to say to something like that? :p

Thorgrim103 said:

One word alphaomegasin.

Already subscribed and that's the link source from one of his videos.

CorSair said:
Easy to blame on something people don't understand well...

And easy to dismiss something that touches one's interests or habits.

Technician said:
It's quite bizarre actually, since modern videogames can compete with today's blockbusters in sale figures, I'm surprised the GOP is trying to blacklist them so.

It's arguably easier... you can call it vulture politics :p

But games also let you act instead of just looking. You're not seeing people shoot each other, you're participating, if virtually.

This guy is coming from the "guns don't kill people, people do" principle. Under this principle, guns are just neutral tools and cultural habits and directives cause conflict. It's somewhat flawed because video games are also tools in their way. But they're more culture oriented than a gun (which has symbolic aspects, nonetheless), by transmitting behavioral doctrines, stereotypes and ideas.

It's a crude way to approach "if we have well-behaved people we can all have guns, and video games tend to spread violent culture by copying violent behavior and making it look cool, while we imitate it without sensitivity to the backdrop." But, being "vulture politics" it's more prone to dealing with partial aspects or cosmetics than the essence of the problem.

It is somewhat scary how US military activity is starting to look more and more like video game playing, where the military kill people with unmanned drones, from atop computerized helicopters or as foot soldiers armed and armored to the teeth, with night vision and other enhancement devices against relatively weak and under-equipped opposition forces. Much like the DOOM marine with a full arsenal, sr40, iddt, and power-ups against slow moving monsters with mere fireballs.

If this were a totally correct statement then I would've already been responsible for a Canadian equivalent of the Columbine Massacre ages ago, since I can relate to both Eric and Dylan as an alienated DOOMer who was bullied by peers.
But the fact is that the parenting is more responsible than anything else. Eric's dad was an army general while mine never was. Therefore, Eric has been exposed to tons of real-life guns way before he ever saw DOOM, while I haven't been. And he even had medical experiments conducted on him while visiting his dad at some army base, so that could've contributed to his violent behaviour in some way as well.
Also, my parents did everything in their power to make it difficult for me to keep secrets from them. They constantly went through my stuff and I revealed almost everything that ever troubled me, all while continuously enjoying tons of videogames without restraints.
And no massacres ever happened from me. :p