Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Steam Market Place... Thoughts?

So not too long ago, Steam released the Market Place, where you could sell in-game items you'd earned for actual cash. Granted, the money you earned only meant in-store credit, but just recently, I sold a rocket launcher I'd earned for TF2 for enough money to purchase the most recent Deus Ex game. I have several copies of that damn rocket launcher, so I had no use for it whatsoever, but I was able to exchange it for an actual game. My only qualm is how quickly the market seems to fluctuate. One moment, you can sell an item for a good chunk of change, and the next minute, it can be worth nothing.

At any rate, though, it's neat that I can sell useless junk I don't need to other people in exchange for money to buy games I want and whatnot. Anyone else made use of the Steam Market Place yet?

I made a few bucks when the beta was released selling strange parts, so that's neat. You can sell non-consumables now? I'll need to check this out...

We need to be able to sell futures so it's like a real market place. Then real speculation will be able to take place, leading to systemic crashes every six months.

I'm sure the value will drop off pretty steeply as soon as people realise that hacking their games can give them a license to print money.

Tempted to unload my crates onto it to see if I can make anything off of them and get them out of my inventory, but other than that I have no real interest in the service.

Would F2P player be able to sell TF2 items? I stopped sharing an account with a relative when I built up a decent library of games for myself, but TF2 was not one of those games I bought, and I don't really want to upgrade since I don't play TF2 much anymore.

You make Steam Wallet... not actual cash. They're a store not a bank :-) Anyway I made mega profit off of it. So much profit that I hit the funds ceiling so I bought friends games. Then I was warned there's a 200 sale limit and I'm at 170. So I decided to stop selling so quick.

Its an awesome idea it makes keys worth $2.10 toward games instead of $1.25. Steam can eliminate game flippers.

It's a fun idea but I don't imagine investing enough time in any game to earn anything. I quit TF2 after being harassed constantly for not having the exact +3 Hat of Burnination needed for a particular play style. It brought back shuddering memories of MMO compulsions. I heard about vanilla servers but I ended up downloading 10GB just to discover they weren't what I thought.

Hats are just cosmetic with the exception of a few.

Well, weapon synthesizing or whatever it is: the useless Skinner's Box feature that is apparently significant enough to turn the tide of battle and get people all in a tizzy over it. I get sick of that shit pretty quickly.

Anyone who told you you need anything except the vanilla weapons is stupid. Most of them are worse than the vanilla ones. The pyro's axetinguisher/degreaser/that-one-shotgun combo is probably the only exception, though the vanilla set isn't too bad.

Just do what you want. Play how you want to play and find your groove. Its just rock paper scissors.

geo said:

Just do what you want. Play how you want to play and find your groove. Its just rock paper scissors.

:(

I tried this, I loaded up TF2 a while back to check it out. The first server I was kicked from, dont know why? The second sever I was kicked from because I went up a ladder then decided I wanted to go down again, somebody was behind me and accused me of 'Holding the team up', I was kicked!

The third game I played as a spy, but was kicked as apparently that classed as 'cheating' and the final server had loads of players in, I jumped in and found everybody was just standing about dong nothing (like they were away from the k/B? Anyway I shot a few people and was kicked!

*sigh* what happened to the days of 'TF Classic' when playing on-line was just FUN!

If people are going to kick you off servers for wearing the wrong stupid hat then it sounds much much worse now!

Anyway, thats a little off-topic, sorry!

That server with noone doing anything was likely an idle server, where people just stay there for hours on end hoping they get some random item or hat one would eventually get from playing the game. Those, the hats and the crate bullshit is what made me shy away from the game.

Mr. Chris said:

That server with noone doing anything was likely an idle server, where people just stay there for hours on end hoping they get some random item or hat one would eventually get from playing the game.

Oh....that sounds.....excitting!

Thanks for info, shall be staying away from this game then, not really my cup of tea.

Yep there are idle servers... and trade servers where people play and complain about everyone playing yet they're the ones that leave the spawn. Then there are actual gameplay servers. If you go digging through the list of servers you'll find the first two.

Oh and I'm not even sure there are ladders in TF2.

What are you talking about with ladders? I've been playing the game since the first day it was publicly available (you could get in on the beta if you pre-ordered the Orange Box), and I've never seen a usable ladder in any map. Besides, you can't block teammates anyway, so it wouldn't matter. I actually like that mechanic - it helps a lot in terms of preventing griefing. It's also a useful way to let you know that someone is a spy - if they look like a teammate but you can't walk through them, then you know it's an enemy spy.

Other than that, though, just learn to watch out for idle servers and trading servers. They're usually labeled in the name, and beyond that, TF2 also has an automatic random server selector that so far, has never put me into anything but an active game.