Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClumsyCryptid

How do you make a dehacked patch?

So!

I'm currently blazed and stoned out of my mind, but I got this idea for a deh patch. I like it, but I want to know how to make it.

Idea:

The UAC has developed a new drug to administer to their soldiers through the Military Division. You're one of their test subjects. This drug is supposed to give the illusion you can fire 10x as fast with any weapon, and due to the testing program being recreations of the Mars incident, the Demon Occupation of Earth, The events of Evilution, or the Platonia Experiment the weapons have pre-determined amounts of ammo. However in your favor it's stuck to unlimited.

However to counter balance this drug in the testing phase the programmers of the simulators altered the attacks of all the monsters by administering the drug to their armaments and magic that causes fatal real death of the test subject. As an unintended error in the recent Simulator that you've been chosen to do the monsters attack faster, move faster, and have mix-matched abilities such as Pinkies reviving the fallen, and biting at you at a distance with a Mancubus bolt.

Short version:

- Infinite Ammo
- Fast firing weapons
- Faster monsters with high damage and rearranged abilities.
- One shot kills

So, is my idea possible or am I going to have to look into .acs scripting?

Edit: Forgot one bit

Some of the stuff you mentioned can be done, others only approximated or limited by practical limits of the engine itself.

Preliatus said:

- Infinite Ammo

I think you could hack the weapons to have a maxed out number of starting ammo (maximum integer value = 2^31 -1, about 2 billion) but not really infinite.

Preliatus said:

- Fast firing weapons

The fastest ANY weapon could fire is for 1 tic, so that puts a limit on the maximum firing rate of about 35 shots per second. I recall some dehacked patche caused all weapons to fire simultaneously, and the infamous Blessed Engine 2 could drain all of your ammo in one tic, but I don't know if the latter used DEH patches alone...it was never released anyway.

Preliatus said:

Faster monsters with high damage and rearranged abilities

Depends how faster and what you want to rearrange. Sure you can mix the codepointers around and have e.g. pinkies use the archvile resurrect state, or a plasma gun spawning lost souls. They just might not all work as you think they might ;-)

Preliatus said:

- One shot kills

Various way to achieve this, some good some bad: e.g. 1-HP monsters, overpowered weapons that exceed the maximum HP of any given monsters (10000 damage points would kill even a cyber or players with IDDQD on), or, like the Blessed Engine 2 did, the "Blessed Cannon", dealing either 2 billion damage or making its targets immortal.

Check out this vid to understand how far the limits of DEHACKED can be pushed:

However DEHACKED is chaotic compared to acs: you really need a profound understanding of Doom's engine to be able to induce a particular behavior, even if it is technically possible at all. However, all the things you asked for are doable, in one way of the other. Perhaps not to the extent you thought possible, or by jumping through hoops.

Maes said:

Check out this vid to understand how far the limits of DEHACKED can be pushed:

wow that voice over is absolutely classic. Reminds me of educational films from the 1970s we used to watch in school

Thanks for the informative information Maes!

Geez.. I want to get my hands on Blessed 2. Other than the weird level of Sky May Be I liked that engine. Considering I was high at the time of my original post I meant DECORATE not Dehacked.

Man.. I feel stupid.

Preliatus said:

Thanks for the informative information Maes!

Geez.. I want to get my hands on Blessed 2. Other than the weird level of Sky May Be I liked that engine. Considering I was high at the time of my original post I meant DECORATE not Dehacked.

Man.. I feel stupid.

Oh! Well, in that case, you might find my tutorials at GunLabs to be quite useful!

Necromancer-AMV said:

Probably better that way; Decorate is a lot easier to understand, and a lot more flexible.

But DeHackEd gives more satisfaction. :)