Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

Chinese New Year

Ah it's Chinese New Year again, held at 10th February this year. This is one of my favourite festival, and it's celebrated by all Chinese. During this festival, I can collect a lot of money by receiving Red packets("Hongbao" in Chinese), I can eat a lot of snacks too. There's also a lot of wonderful activities like fireworks and firecrackers(Banned in some places for safety), it's also happy to see that a lot of people will dressed in new clothes, or even in Traditional Chinese style(e.g Qipao).

As for songs of Chinese New Year, again there's lot of nice songs, a lot of them are my favourite too. That huge video(Shows a girl dressed in pink) in my youtube page of "Featured"(Not sure for the translation as my youtube page is in Chinese) an example of 3 songs of Chinese New Year. Same for my youtube avatar, which shows a Chinese Lady in blue Qipao, I changed it for the celebration of this festival.

Well, I wondered if anyone have any experience of Chinese New Year. Why not share?

Wiki: About Chinese New Year
Chinapage: About Chinese New Year

Actually, I'll be spending Chinese New Years in China. No gifts of Hongbao for me though, since I'm expected to be the one giving them this time around.

Mordeth said:

Actually, I'll be spending Chinese New Years in China. No gifts of Hongbao for me though, since I'm expected to be the one giving them this time around.

Be careful of Toxic gases and safety in China. Try to choose restaurants with better looking, no need to mind for higher prices, as there's lot of horrible food in China nowadays. As for its people, no need to be too polite to them since they lack the understanding of manners and moral. Which place in China will you visit? You can choose to spend New Year in Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia too.

Any difficulties in Chinese? I can help. I understand both Simpified and Traditional Chinese.

Nice to see you spending Chinese New Year in China. :)

Bah! This means that the local Chinese takeaway will be shut for a couple of days.

Err, I mean happy new year China and Chinese people!

;)

Enjay said:

Bah! This means that the local Chinese takeaway will be shut for a couple of days.

Err, I mean happy new year China and Chinese people!

;)

Haha, brilliant, this has made my day. In all seriousness though, happy Chinese new year to all of you guys and wish you the best of luck.

I've never experienced a Chinese New Year celebration, but since moving to the west coast of the US I've discovered quite a large Asian population, so finding a celebration in the nearby cities shouldn't be too hard. Are the traditional festivities held during any particular part of the day, like is there a midnight countdown or something similar to a Western new years celebration?

BloodyAcid said:

Happy Chinese New Year! (to those who celebrate it)

All I know is only 4 doomers are Chinese. Qaatar, Evocalvin, Erwin Lin and me, that means all of us will celebrate Chinese New Year. Maybe Tatsurd will celebrate too, not sure about Japan.

Shaikoten said:

Are the traditional festivities held during any particular part of the day, like is there a midnight countdown or something similar to a Western new years celebration?

Yep, there are different festivities on Chinese New Year. For example, cleaning on Preceding days, Jade Emperor's party celebrated on 10th day. However I really don't know much about these festivities as people doesn't care about traditional festivities nowadays.