Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

Z1024: A 1024 styled project in zDoom

Welcome, community!

I came up with an idea for a new community project.
I know that a lot people likes zDoom for it's features, and look. And of course it's not so hard to use, and it can make almost everything simple, those were complex in older ports.

This idea came from when I was recently playing Torment & Torture, and KDiZD. And my favourite wad is Claustrophobia 1024.

If you add this together:

Yes, it would be an 1024 megawad in zDoom (or gzDoom). I don't know if it was planned, or mentioned before, but i think it'd be a good project.

I'd like to know that how many mappers would be interested in it.

Interesteds:
FractalXX
Primeval
CorSair
Fisk
Obsidian
scalliano
insanoflex312
dachauncinator

DEADLINE: END OF 2013

Textures: CC4 pack

There aren't any special rules. The space is limited to 1024x1024, design, and other things are allowed out of it. Both UDMF, and Hexen format, and all zDoom features are allowed.

I suck balls at mapping! (or so I have been told) so I cannot help, but I do think this is a good idea, regardless that it might already be existing, but I doubt it, I would like to see this happen, but suck to much to help :(

mrthejoshmon said:

I suck balls at mapping! (or so I have been told) so I cannot help, but I do think this is a good idea, regardless that it might already be existing, but I doubt it, I would like to see this happen, but suck to much to help :(

Don't feel bad about this. Not everybody can make good maps, even i can't in my opinion, but the point is that i'm trying. :)

FractalXX said:

Don't feel bad about this. Not everybody can make good maps, even i can't in my opinion, but the point is that i'm trying. :)

and I hope you succeed in your goal! It would be a fine thing to see a new face on the scene :)

When it comes to projects bit more liberal in features, I am always interested. So count me in too.

Aaand how this is gonna be pulled?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Sign me up, as long as I don't have to make a map as awful as KDIZD

Heh, someone had an idea where you make a ZDoom map that's 1024x1024x1024. You could try that.

Any guidelines?

It would be interesting to see this coming to fruition. You could potentially use ACS to transform the level as it progresses. Also, 1024 maps tend to have areas outside the 1024 area where monsters can spawn but the player can't access. A (G)ZDoom wad using 1024 rules would do well to keep that aspect.

Also, 3D floors would be a good idea.

Updated the thread.

Fisk: You don't have to make maps like in KDiZD, the point is on zDoom, not on look.

Obsidian, CorSair: I've just added the info. But there aren't any special restrictions.

scalliano: Yes, i was also thinking of this. GZDoom would do well in those kind of maps.

Added everyone.

insanoflex312 said:

so whats going on with this? We still doing this? Also, is it doom, hexen or UDM format? I'd say UDMF but its up to you.

I allowed UDMF, and Hexen, too. I think it's still going, and already started, we just don't know anything about the maps, yet. I told you every detail you need to know I think.

I would love to share some screenies, but it seems the concept I worked was bit flawed, so I'll need time to do proper layout. I'll probably do just two maps, but not sure.

Oh, and about time, do you have deadline in mind? Before 2013 ends?

CorSair said:

I would love to share some screenies, but it seems the concept I worked was bit flawed, so I'll need time to do proper layout. I'll probably do just two maps, but not sure.

Oh, and about time, do you have deadline in mind? Before 2013 ends?

I haven't really thought about a deadline yet, but i think the end of 2013 would be okay.

FractalXX said:

I allowed UDMF, and Hexen, too. I think it's still going, and already started, we just don't know anything about the maps, yet. I told you every detail you need to know I think.

Well, I mean, the wad needs to be as a whole either or, so I'd like to know which one to choose so no one has to do any converting. Unless there is a program for that.

@insanoflex312: As long as the maps will all run in the same source port (in this case, ZDoom) and are made for the same game IWAD (in this case, Doom 2), it doesn't matter what map format they're in. No conversion should be necessary.

esselfortium said:

@insanoflex312: As long as the maps will all run in the same source port (in this case, ZDoom) and are made for the same game IWAD (in this case, Doom 2), it doesn't matter what map format they're in. No conversion should be necessary.

That's right.