Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

I love how accurate this TC is so far (except maybe the start menu background and lack of password), you even remembered the pain elemental in the lift secret. EDIT: I just noticed something. At one time (after completing attack) the intermission music continues to play after I skipped the intermission, I admit I skipped it a bit quickly.

BlueFireZ88 said:

I went ahead and made a Nightmare! mod for the PSX TC.

It adds the Nightmare! difficulty back in, and has a custom graphic for it.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/MFjKl4wARx/psxnmare.pk3

TO INSTALL:
You'll need to use a text editor (Notepad or Notepad++) to edit two files (PSXDOOM.BAT and PSXDOOM.CFG).

For the BAT file add with the group on the top:
ECHO PULLIN "PSXNMARE.PK3">>PSXDOOM.CFG

Then for the CFG file add with the group on the top:
PULLIN "PSXNMARE.PK3"

Is it like my suggestion or the original PC level Nightmare? Either way, I think I love you, you seem to make everything Doom related better these days :D

Springy: Of course the PE is there, they got the map files straight from the original discs!

Ragnor said:

Is it like my suggestion or the original PC level Nightmare? Either way, I think I love you, you seem to make everything Doom related better these days :D

Springy: Of course the PE is there, they got the map files straight from the original discs!

Sorry I thought the maps were from scratch in order to recreate the originals ignore my PE comment then sorry about that.

Brewtal_Legend:

If the other mods have worked for you in that manner, then I don't expect problems with the addon.

Ragnor:

It was a simple addon, just copied the Nightmare code from the base pk3 and made the custom graphic from scratch. It's not like it couldn't have been done.

Just a heads-up: Aubrey Hodges released three additional tracks for the Final Doom soundtrack, and confirmed they are the tracks for Subspace, Subterra and Vesperas.

I know your stances on using his music, but I figured I'd bring this up here so you can all hear what those levels were meant to sound like.

EDIT: Huh. Just found out that the Unholy Cathedral yellow key secret bug was a carryover from the Jaguar version that never got fixed.

Just had a playthrough on this. Looks awesome, and much smoother than the PSX original. Still, no difference between the two.

Ragnor said:

Just a heads-up: Aubrey Hodges released three additional tracks for the Final Doom soundtrack, and confirmed they are the tracks for Subspace, Subterra and Vesperas.

I know your stances on using his music, but I figured I'd bring this up here so you can all hear what those levels were meant to sound like.

EDIT: Huh. Just found out that the Unholy Cathedral yellow key secret bug was a carryover from the Jaguar version that never got fixed.

I think Jaguar Doom's mapset was simply carried over for PSX Doom's respective levels, so it's all the same (in terms of layout).

I never played the psx version but judging from screenshots this version didn't had any texture filtering unlike doom 64. so shouldn't the standard configuration of this tc recreate that?
of course everbody can change the option how they like, just sayin'.

Sp00kyFox said:

I never played the psx version but judging from screenshots this version didn't had any texture filtering unlike doom 64. so shouldn't the standard configuration of this tc recreate that?

x2 - the smeary visuals are annoying.

Sp00kyFox said:

_bruce_ said:

x2 - the smeary visuals are annoying.

There shouldn't be any filtering if you run the included batch file.

EDIT:
I take that back. It was like that in the past.

fenderc01 said:

There shouldn't be any filtering if you run the included batch file.

EDIT:
I take that back. It was like that in the past.

Is there even an option/paramter/console command in GZDoom to turn smear off?

Since this is a TC after all, why not include the weapon sprites from the original PSX Doom and put it in a WAD file as a seperate download?

Except for the Final Doom supershotgun, they are the same sprites -- just horizontally squashed to take less space in memory, and then stretched back.

Gez said:

Except for the Final Doom supershotgun, they are the same sprites -- just horizontally squashed to take less space in memory, and then stretched back.

Ah, so that's why they look really blocky. I also think the reason why they appear that way in the original is because the game ran at a 256x240 resolution.

ScottGray said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d5m691lqohihei4
Sorry guys I posted the wrong link, this is the right one here.

I'm trying to find more lighting bugs before v2.1 is officially posted.
Is there anything else anyone can think of that needs addressing?

Ragnor mention a removed secret from Unholy Cathedral. Was that removed from the PlayStaion game or just the TC?

The supershotgun is quiet compared to psx doom.

Noticed the disabled sounds in the psx port aren't played here (most notably the zombie grunts). Don't know if this is a port or replica of psx doom but I wish those sounds were here. They can be heard in DOOM64 TC (Absolution source port) from elbryan42; i'm still figuring out how to disable randomized sound pitch in that port.

Holering said:

The supershotgun is quiet compared to psx doom.

Noticed the disabled sounds in the psx port aren't played here (most notably the zombie grunts). Don't know if this is a port or replica of psx doom but I wish those sounds were here. They can be heard in DOOM64 TC (Absolution source port) from elbryan42; i'm still figuring out how to disable randomized sound pitch in that port.

I never included those sounds because I was never a fan of them.

EDIT:
If you haven't already checked out Doom64 EX, you should do so. It is the successor to Doom64 TC and is more faithful for the source material.
http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

EDIT2:
I fixed what I consider to be a bug on Nirvana, where you can squeeze past the yellow and blue doors.

to all the marines who bought both psx soundtracks from Aubrey Hodges. I matched the tracks with their appropriate map file names.

here is the list:
http://pastebin.com/22CWNcAy

rename your music files like you see in the list. put them and DSBAREXP.WAV and PSXEND1.ogg from the PSXTCMUS.pk3 (both have no equivalents in the OSTs) in a new folder "MUSIC". archive this folder as a zip file named PSXTCMUS.PK3, replace it with the one in your psxdoom directory and you're good to go.
If you wanna hear the bonus tracks from the Final DOOM OST in the corresponding levels, you have to modify the follwing segment of ZMAPINFO.TXT in PSXDoom2.0.pk3 like this:

map map71 lookup "FHUSTR_11"
{
	music = FINMUS11
	sky1 = sky08, 0
	next = 72
}

map map72 lookup "FHUSTR_12"
{
	music = FINMUS12
	sky1 = sky04, 0
	next = 73
}

map map73 lookup "FHUSTR_13"
{
	music = FINMUS13
	sky1 = sky08, 0
	next = D3END
}

Excellent :D

Question: Would it be possible to ever have scanlines? I know thats more a GZDoom thing and out of the TC team's control, but it would be great.

Big doors make close sound before they close. Zombies gib too easily (they gib from pistol and chainsaw frequently though it's kinda cool). Didn't see the new mug gib animation (his head tears apart) when I got crushed.

EDIT:

Is there a way to enable dshoof2.wav, DSPODTH3.wav, and dsposit3.wav? I think these sounds would make the tc better (they were in the psx doom content but disabled in-game; perhaps memory constraints?)

EDIT:

Scanlines would be interesting. If I remember correctly, psx doom runs at 256X240 (NTSC). GZdoom has issues with framerate caps below 35fps; tried capping framerate to 30fps (cl_capfps 0) (vid_maxfps 30) but can't.

This may be interesting to you folks but I get over 400 FPS in linux whereas in windows I get 192 (same gzdoom settings and driver settings on both) 640x480; only difference is my linux install (Slackware64 14) is bootstrapped and compiled with custom cflags (all libraries and software (gzdoom too)); my Windows install is Windows 7 64 Home premium. Even at 1280x1024 I'm getting 110fps in Linux vs Windows with 53fps. It's interesting considering I'm running an anti-virus and firewall with other background processes. This is with AMD hardware (fx6300 CPU (not overclocked), onboard HD3000 graphics); 12.6 fglrx legacy drivers in linux and latest in Windows. I'm running GZdoom 1.7.0 on both.

EDIT:

Thanks SpookyFox! Hopefully a config can be used to avoid renaming in my case; or a script to automatically rename files. I find it's too much work to rename so many files by hand (for me anyways).

@Holering
I didn't know exactly if my files had the original track names in the first place (probably renamed them with a tag tool). so I hesitated with posting the batch files I used. but since you asked I do it anyway.
If the names in the batch shouldn't match with the original file names, I'll upload another version.

here you go:
http://dfiles.eu/files/ktvh017bv

You're awesome thanks!

EDIT:

Oh and to fenderc01 you're awesome too! Sorry I didn't thank you sooner but I just wanted to point out some things I wasn't sure about. If it wasn't for you this cool stuff wouldn't be possible; many many thanks to you and everyone else who's part of the project (scott?)!

Spooky Fox, that file renamer didnt work for me, I downloaded the MP3 versions of the soundtrack and havent ever touched the names. No matter, I'll do it manually

I also replaced Redemption Denied, The Marshes, and The Mansion's music with the three PSX Doom bonus tracks, naming them PSXMUS21-23

could you please make a list or screenshot of the original file names from both soundtracks? I'll update the batch files accordingly and upload a new version.

Apparantly my TC from the first post is old, and still has the Vesparas typo, the broken Nessus secret, etc etc. Where can I get the most up to date version?