Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Rage in the Studio

Want to practice making idTech 5 maps in preparation for Doom 4? The Rage Tool Kit is finally arriving on Steam today. Be warned, though, as it contains all of the game assets from Rage and The Scorchers as a reference, it's a massive (35+ GB) download, and due to the engine's complexity it's recommended "only for the technically sophisticated and adventurous!"

I think I'll Stick with Source or TES editor.

Steam averages around 250kbps download speed for me.

Gigabyte number * 1024 = Megabyte number
35GB = 35*1024 = 35480MB

Megabyte number / download speed (Mbps) = Approx Download duration (seconds)

35480 / 0.25 = 143660 seconds

ESTIMATED NON-STOP DOWNLOAD TIME: 1 day, 15 hours, 54 minutes
Well, fuck that. Time SUCKS anyone?

I had to wait a day to download a 16 GB game yesterday. Somehow... you'll get through it. Do it over the span of 4 nights?

I get no Rage Tool Kit in my Steam Tools menu. Anyone else have the same problem?

Cire said:

I get no Rage Tool Kit in my Steam Tools menu. Anyone else have the same problem?

WFM. Maybe your client hasn't updated?

Yeah, that might be it. Do you know if it's possible to force an update or do I just have to wait? EDIT: Well, apparently you need to own Rage to be able to download it. I was too optimistic and thought it was a stand-alone release, like Source SDK or UDK.

Cire said:

Yeah, that might be it. Do you know if it's possible to force an update or do I just have to wait? EDIT: Well, apparently you need to own Rage to be able to download it. I was too optimistic and thought it was a stand-alone release, like Source SDK or UDK.

Since the huge size was because it contains all the assets from Rage and its expansion, that would have been very surprising.

True, naive of me to think so, but you never know, strange things happen. ;)

Steam averages around 250kbps download speed for me.
Megabyte number / download speed (Mbps) = Approx Download duration (seconds)
35480 / 0.25 = 143660 seconds
ESTIMATED NON-STOP DOWNLOAD TIME: 1 day, 15 hours, 54 minutes

You need to listen to 12.96 days (not 1 day-something) of 256kbps music to get to 35 GB.

Either Eris is confusing bits with bytes or he has the slowest connection on the forums (a dubious honor I once held).

GreyGhost said:

Either Eris is confusing bits with bytes or he has the slowest connection on the forums (a dubious honor I once held).

First byte definitely
Second byte, probably