Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

Daikatana is now on GOG

IE the ill-fated game thats practically a monument to John Romero's arrogance of the time.

I always wanted to play this though, as I generally ignore reviews.

Is it really as hard as the description there states?

It really is bad. Trust me, I've played through the entire thing. Tarnsman streamed an entire playthrough of it on Twitch.tv a while ago and just watching him play it was painful.

So yeah, buy it! It's a hoot!

people generally dislike the initial swamp levels. Though imo the game only gets worse from then on.

Obligatory link to SA's Daikatana Demo review.

JOHN ROMERO: "Alright team, I've got a fabulous idea for a game! I've been listening to what the gamers want and are looking for, and I've got some killer thoughts! This will be the best game ever created!"
ION STORM TEAM: "HOORAY!!!"
JOHN ROMERO: "First of all, we'll need to make our own engine. A superb engine, featuring advanced effects like T&L, dynamic LOD, curved surfaces and-"
POD PEOPLE: "John xyblah grawh rawwwwr!" (translated: "John, you are our bitch now!")
JOHN ROMERO: (shot by evil Pod Peoples' ray gun) "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
ION STORM TEAM: "John, are you okay?"
JOHN ROMERO: (slowly getting up from the ground) "I LIKE BUGS AND FROGS."
ION STORM TEAM: "What?"
JOHN ROMERO: "'SUPERFLY JOHNSON' IS A GOOD NAME FOR A BLACK MAN."
ION STORM TEAM: "We quit."

Daikatana is easily one of the worst games ever made. But if you enjoy herding cats and a story that a Z-grade film would be ashamed of, I'd say play it. Just upgrade attack and power to max and use whatever the starter weapon is for all 4 episodes as everything else is garbage (except for the E4 weapons where everything but the ultimate is pretty good).

Has anyone attempted milking Daikatana of what it's worth, with regards to Doom project resources?

printz said:

Has anyone attempted milking Daikatana of what it's worth, with regards to Doom project resources?

Yep. And would you believe it has some pretty useful and even nice-looking textures? The real problem is sorting through all the dupes, since IIRC Daikatana "baked" all its textures into the level.

GOG said:

Incredible sidekicks as they provide cover fire, watch your back, and provide helpful feedback to assist you in your mission.

lolz lolz lolz

However, I do like the game being available somewhere.

Its one of those games that you just have to try at least once. And hey, I actually liked DNF, so I might enjoy this. Maybe.

I keep thinking back to a couple of memories of playing the game, and how the guns felt decent, and the textures were nice. I mean, sure, maybe it's a little annoying or dull at times, but it can't be that bad right?

Then I load it up again, and it all comes crashing back. It's just a bad game.

But yes, everyone should experience it, and study its development history. Because there are many, many lessons to be learned there.

Just ordered Daikatana.Am about to download.Yeah,I know how crappy it's supposed to be,but it will be added to my game collection.If it's that bad,Ican always delete it.

That's one of the few occasions where, if you really have to have a game, the physical copy would be preferable: you can both show it off (or be considered fucked up for having it) and beat it up in frustration when John Romero makes you his bitch with 1000000 frogs ;-)

That is true, but I have terrible problems with losing discs or installation keys, or discs getting inexplicably beaten up. That and, GOG has no DRM. Despise that stuff. When a game only runs on certain old disc drives, where you have to hack the hell out of your files to even play it (Dungeon Keeper 2), theres a problem..

I think I'd buy it for $5 or less to play the legend. But I could just youtube it like I did when I first heard about it. It didn't look that bad, but people love bashing things.

>> edit. Ha I see $6. I'll wait for a sale.

And from everything I hear, the N64 version is the terrible one and not the PC.

So, when do we get Derek Smart's games on GOG, too?

I bought it, Thief Gold and Deus Ex GOTY for about $15.97 (or, in my language, £10.11, which is pretty reasonable for 3 old games I'll probably get some mileage out of. Having a hard time adapting to the convuluted control schemes they all have in my initial feeling-out process :P

Maes said:

So, when do we get Derek Smart's games on GOG, too?

Oh, God, the memories...

We're under attack!
We're under attack!
We're under attack!
We're under attack!
We're under attack!
We're under attack!

If you've played Battlecruiser, you recognize this.

Phobus said:

I bought it, Thief Gold and Deus Ex GOTY for about $15.97 (or, in my language, £10.11, which is pretty reasonable for 3 old games I'll probably get some mileage out of. Having a hard time adapting to the convuluted control schemes they all have in my initial feeling-out process :P

Thief Gold is hot shit, alright. You get used to the controls pretty quickly, and it's actually a very sensible setup when you think about it.

Deus Ex, well, everyone already knows how great that is. Mmm... LAM mines...

If I could just swap the strafe and turn keys on Thief it'd be awesome, but there's no in-game options for controls :(

Most Doom ports do that. In vanilla it was easy enough just to hack the config file. Surely Thief would at least permit a similar trick.

Phobus said:

If I could just swap the strafe and turn keys on Thief it'd be awesome, but there's no in-game options for controls :(

Do you not have this (options / controls button / cutomise controls option)