Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

Kudos! Looks very promising there, Wraith, although the map comparison picture does get me thinking...: Whose style are you aiming for? Am I right in thinking that you're comparing it with map13 and 15 in order to better represent the sort of sandbox style that you're attempting, and not to say that you're looking to incorporate elements from both maps directly? To do so without deciding upon a specific author might give way to a map that feels more like a disassociated merging of styles, unconvincing of collaboration.

Just pondering off the cuff here. It looks great from the overhead!

Wraith777 said:

Well, I hope this will help it:
http://plasmon.rghost.ru/43242247/image.png

It's for comparison, all maps are in same scale.

Can't show anything now except this rough plan, no 3d model/textures/things at the monent..

The plan itself looks very nice and promising. I would like to point out, however, just as a little piece of trivia, that Map 13 is a Sandy map, while map 15 is a Romero map.

st.alfonzo said:

Am I right in thinking that you're comparing it with map13 and 15 in order to better represent the sort of sandbox style that you're attempting, and not to say that you're looking to incorporate elements from both maps directly?

Well, considering that map has no definite centre around which player has to wander (any Romero's map does have it) and it is completely Sand(y)Box, it's absolutely Peterson oriented. I just wanted to say that it's cityscape like map13, but biger and wider like map15, that's all.

Xfing, thanx, will try to do my best. About map15: I know it, just read above :).

Buy the way, I'm making another map and I have a question: does the size of map matter?
This map supposed to be something between Map05(textures)and Map14(idea).
The problem looks like this
http://rghost.net/43433248/image.png

#1 - original plan; main problem - it's too big and inconsistent. It can be easily broken into independent parts. But it resembles flooded city as intended.
#2 - cut some areas and reduced playtime
#3 - proportionally scaled down version of #2, just for size reduction
#4 - cut all remaining area that aren't matching main theme of map. But now it ends to be almost same size and from overhead looks very similar to map14. Currently it needs new locations to be finally done.

Still if it's absolutely based on idea borrowed from map14, it's gameplay and atmosphere are somewhat different.

Personally, I hope that final #4 will fit here.

V4 It still looks too complex for me. Judging from the overhead it looks more like a Plutonia map based on a Doom 2 level than something McGee would make. I'd say ditch 1 or 2 more areas (preferably the more complex ones - as McGee liked to have 1 really "impressive" area where he showed off then liked to kind of leave the other rooms more bare than it), the perimeter walls could lose a lot of their bumpiness and the sky windows you have around the map are distinctly un-McGee, only Romero and Sandy used some extremely basic skybox trickery, McGee left his sky flat at all times.

Xfing said:

BTW is there a Shawn Green map planned? For this and for Thy Flesh Consumed?

Zodiac's The Docks is an attempt at creating a collaboration map in the styles of Green and Petersen, although I should stress that ensuring the inclusion of a Green map is not something high on the priority list if we're to concern ourselves with making an authentic product.

That said... everybody start making Jay Wilbur maps!

Bump.

The Garrison is an underground metal bunker, designed in the style of John Romero. The map currently has no difficulty settings and is still in a state of WIP, but I decided to go ahead and upload it so the project doesn't seem so stagnant. Oh, but it is completely playable from start to finish!

Also, I updated my previous submission, Cul-de-sac. Just some small changes, but I figured it was worth noting.

There! Alfonzo isn't a complete liar. Hopefully that'll help pique interests again.

Pavera said:

There! Alfonzo isn't a complete liar.

A trifle deceit! The chief maker of maps is still hoarding everything over at IRC...

Anyway, I've played this map a couple times now, and you already know I think it's top brass. While I maintain that the visuals are perhaps a little cluttered/complex, the texture use and geometry in particular are still very much Romero, and there's evidently been quite a bit of attention paid to the way in which he employed drop-offs, catwalks, ledges and the like throughout.

I would add that the use of mancubi is a bit heavy (Romero only ever used them in map26 and 29), and that there could be some opportunity to reshape some of the more natural looking areas in order to heighten authenticity. It's been pointed out that Romero liked to use harder cutting corners and shapes when concerned with actual "structures" in game, reserving the odd and almost shapeless design for areas that employ a more natural looking texture set - the northern zimmer secret in this map, for example. To that end, I think some clearer distinction between structures and natural looking areas could benefit this map a little (such as with the western area of map17).

These are small quibbles, of course. It's still very much a keeper! Good show.

Howdy doo! Popping out of lurkmode here to offer a humble E1 Mcgee, for no particular mapslot. Surely you've got millions of those, but maps is maps. I wouldn't call it 100% box-it finished, but all the nuts and bolts are there, everything works to the best of my knowledge, I just mostly need feedback at this point for tweaks. I'm fairly confident I got most of the big bullet points for an American map, but I can sort of feel the ghost of Romero hanging over it, hopefully not too bad.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8y0qb852lv3g1b9

And ACTION SHOTS:

If this is to your liking, I've also got some E3 Mcgees in the works, which you seem to be more in need of. Lucky for me, I always wanted to see what would happen if he'd gotten more late-game maps.

Magnifique! We are actually still hankering for a few more Mcgee maps, truth be known. I'll have a look shortly and get back to you after I've assembled a critique.

EDIT: Well then. I had a blast through the map just to get a quick first impression, and on the whole I think it's a bit hit and miss, unfortunately, although clearly more Mcgee in nature than either Romero or Petersen.

I think the more authentic points lie in the gameplay, which of course is an important facet to cover. There are multiple sudden reveals of monsters intermitting many scatterings of lone beasties, and to me that feels well and good... but some of the choices of design, geometry, progression and texturing in particular are pretty iffy, I think.

Geometrically speaking, Mcgee almost never diverged from orthogonal shapes when outlining "main rooms." The only exception seems to be in map22, where a couple of areas had rogue angles nipping at the corners. Corridors and connecting areas on the other hand do see a bit of jelly sometimes (map04's light switch corridor; map02's watery underhalls). here, the starting room as well as a few other areas seem to diverge from this rule pretty significantly, and for me it's the biggest indication that this was not a map forged by Mcgee. Some of the texture selections are a bit odd as well (although I'm not particularly attentive when it comes to these matters and actually had to pester someone to point me in the right direction when outfitting my map04...!). Certainly it's too diverse and complex in some places, visually, and some of the textures are not only misused* (bigdoor4 as a semi-support texture; step2 flanking doors) but difficult to imagine even being placed in a mcgee map outright -- typically he elects to stick to a tighter selection of textures, and using mostly those that cope with misalignments better to disguise the fact that he's a lazy American.

There are a few other issues that come to mind, such as the unpegged door tracks and cramped feel, but if these problems were resolved first then I think it'd be a fair bit easier to pinpoint those intricacies and get it closer to the mark. Not a bad effort then, on the whole.

The name is a hoot, by the way. Some bonus points for that!

*The support3 as a step texture is as good observation though.

Looked at the map and it misses the mark pretty hard. Each area has good distinction and there are plenty of cages/blocked off monster sniping areas but beyond that there is next to no McGee in this map.

Texture transitions are abrupt and lack the usage of Support 3.

Texture choices are odd (McGee only ever used the computer textures in very specific instances - rarely - and never as full room borders. There is too much texture mixing and shape complexity going on in each room.

The map lacks a 1 or 2 primary texture theme that most McGee maps have (STONE for Map 02, METAL2 and BRONZE for Map 03, TEKGREN and STONE for Map 04, BIGBRIK and ASHWALL3 for Map 05, METAL and more METAL for Map 06, BSTONE for Map 14, etc...)

Also: crates only ever appear in Doom 2 in dedicated crate rooms and not just by themselves in one or two areas and STAR* are very un-McGee textures. Romero and McGee often used whatever textures would mesh the best with their habit of not aligning crap in Doom 2.

Gah, I suppose those are all fair points. I'll go tinker with stuff for a while and come back if I think I have something worth showing.

st.alfonzo said:The name is a hoot, by the way. Some bonus points for that!

Heh, glad someone got that. :P

Wraith777 said:

Just finished texturing of DeadEnd, now working on lights/actions.

Here are some examples of texturing

Whoaaah! Now THIS does look like Doom II!

I finally got off my lazy ass and posted my maps to the submission site.

Tarnsman said:

Fucking WHEEEEEE!

Tarnsman said:

Droped&crashed my jaw, 7 of them.. And I can't finish even one!!

Most liked Causeway, but Damned Strait is in fav's too.

There is actually 9, 8 currently up on the site and one I'm sitting on until it's named.

Memfis: Yeah that's my "blatant McGee fuck up that no one bothered to fix" that I left in for authenticity

WELL WELL, I've looked over what you guys said (thanks for your time, by the way), and I've overhauled several bits, and applied a lot of smaller changes all over the place. Texture use is more conservative, blatantly incorrect instances are rectified, and the main room has been made into a dedicated "crate room" so they won't look so out of place, to name a few things. I've also opened it up a bit, not too much, as I feel claustrophobia is part of McGee's style somewhat. Hopefully this is a little more authentic.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9s472u5z4858lx1

I've submitted two maps I've been working on recently. The layouts are complete and functional, though there are no monsters in them yet. One is a Romero-style map06 titled The Gorge, and the other is a Petersen-style map12 sandbox titled The Shipyard.

I don't think an official announcement was made as such (though there's some hinting at it in an earlier page), but the secret maps will not be Wolfenstein (and are, in fact, being covered). Probably should've been made clear beforehand, though the official-ness of it is somewhat recent since the project was idle for a while.

Looks like the project is rapidly nearing the 50th map milestone. Damn, wish I could contribute, but I'm such a noob. Could anyone point me towards some Doom Builder guide or tutorial?

I've uploaded my MAP05 candidate The Boiler, done in the style of American McGee to the best of my ability. Hopefully it isn't too terrible of a map, though my maps do tend to be terrible!!

Follow the link for screen shots!