Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

FractalXX: Dynamic lights are allowed in the entries (and have been used already, actually).

gggmork: I love the idea of a hub, so I'm in. But not for my pending entry, as I don't think it's up to snuff. But for my map after that, I'll take a stab.

Membrain: Thanks for contributing some great feedback to the fellas. Always nice to have you around these parts.

sawd: updated the OP with your new link + a note stating as much. :)

I think I can do something in one color. Too bad that Doom 2 textures are rather lackluster. :P
I try provide screenies today at some point.

When I saw this symbol, I thought it would be crazy to get a DOOM mapper inspired by it.

Then I found this thread and understood it was a boring idea... this is much more interesting!

Hello again and thanks for the reviews guys I'm glad you mostly liked my first map, here is a second map I've made http://www.solidfiles.com/d/7671b134b0/ It's the same setup as last time Doom 2 Map1, multiplayer & deathmatch included. The map is called Outpost Gamma.
Here are a few screenshots
http://imageshack.us/a/img210/3482/outpost1.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img4/1990/outpost2g.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img685/7025/outpost3.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/5320/outpost4.png

I've been quite busy these days, but I could finally start working on my second map. Here are two pics to show off the theme:

Name: Abusive.

Just messed around with portals, and 3D floors.

Pending.

An idea for secret map: What about remaking a Doom II map with CEIL5_1, and FLAT19? For example Entryway, or any other map.

Edit: Got bored again, and I made the weapons, and blood monochromic, just by converting them to PNG.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/3378cc417f/

Guess I wasn't very supportive, so I'll try to give some feedback already.

Scypek2's entry is a nice detachment from the usual grey theme. Who knew that ASHWALL2 could be so versatile? :) The final battle is very easy to skip though.

Membrain's maps were a lot of fun. Don't even know what to say, everything just feels right about them. Especially impressive is the fact that these maps were honestly built with only recommended pair of textures and occasional (very sparse) use of colored lighting.

FractalXX's entry is another honest attempt at purely monochrome texturing. The map is notable for being really cramped, which makes it a bit of a contradiction to Membrain's entries, despite the texture choice. Mind you, it's not a bad thing at all. Perhaps my only nitpick would be this. It would be appropriate to remove the shadow after the column fully lowers. Also, the square on the floor spoils the lighting.

Scientist's map is one of the strangest in a good way. I can only imagine how hard it was to arrange all these animated textures to produce the effect of seamless movement. Very stylish.

Jaws In Space's "Control Center" needs a new sky, I think. And the trap at the end was rather unpleasant. Otherwise, a nice little map. Both of them, actually, except the second one is big. :)

sawd, how about scrolling 'clouds', by the way?

schwerpunk said:

I gotta say, it works.

Glad to hear that. :) I'll call it "The Primitive", if it sounds okay in English.

Membrain, thanks a lot! It's really nice to know that I pulled it off. Have someone played the map on HMP or lower?

Membrain said:

I will say, though, that the map did have a bit of trouble with slowing down between fights. Perhaps interlinking a few more areas together would help with that, but really, as with the other two entries, that's a minor niggle.

I think I know what you're referring to. The 'cubicles' area didn't turn out to be very playable in a traditional sense, but it takes time to explore it for supplies. I still like the idea, but the implementation could be better.

Is anybody making a title pic yet?
If not, I would like to do it! I'm used to drawing in black and white and I'm sure I can come up with something Doom related. See my website for some of my drawings :).

Scientist said:

Is anybody making a title pic yet?
If not, I would like to do it! I'm used to drawing in black and white and I'm sure I can come up with something Doom related. See my website for some of my drawings :).

I looked at your website, and I'm really digging your style! I would love to see what you come up with, so have at it!

Some ideas, take 'em or leave 'em: Maybe incorporate a third shade (grey) instead of using only B&W? Or, maybe base the two tones on FLAT19 & CEIL5_1, to mimic the texture format of most of the maps?

Also, I think your reupholstered entry (Dada) would make a perfect secret level.

FractalXX: I like the idea of making the weapons/blood monochrome, although I think this conversion is a little too 'crisp' looking. Still, it's a fun proof-of-concept, and I'll add it to the OP for anyone who wishes to make use of it.

Re your idea to remake a well-known map using the two main textures in this project: I like it! I like it a lot. Although I think it should have more/different monsters/weapons, just to keep it from being too same-y.

Great suggestions and contributions, guys! Keep it up!

Are there any kind of deadline? Because I don't really want to do my map nowadays, but later I may join.

I had some pics previously, but that was just a kind of experiment. =)

Katamori said:

Are there any kind of deadline? Because I don't really want to do my map nowadays, but later I may join.

I had some pics previously, but that was just a kind of experiment. =)

Aw, don't tell me you've given up on your map Contrast! [pic1]

Anyway, no deadline so far. I'll probably make a new thread if this project goes into Official Time to Get Shit Done Mode. But right now we're just sorting all the eggs, and playing around with different themes.

FractalXX said:

Got bored again, and I made the weapons, and blood monochromic, just by converting them to PNG.

Umm. Is that how it was supposed to look?

Da Werecat said:

Umm. Is that how it was supposed to look?

Supposed? No. It was just 5 minutes of work. If I'd really give it a try, i'd do it with photoshop in better quality.

Alright, my map is done (unless someone finds something majorly wrong in a playthrough). There's a lot that I'd like to change, and I'm not too pleased with the layout, but I figured I just need to push it out the door before I can get to work on my next attempt.

pic1:

pic2:

[download]
Port: ZDoom
Format: UDMF (script heavy)
Difficulties: 1,2,3 & 4 (4 being difficult without secrets)

Critiques/criticisms most welcome.

I played through the map. How it went?

'Twas a quite painful on UV. It seems I did this "wrong" way, shotgunning barons, always missing rockets... I went to exit portion of the map, missing the 1/4th of the map (the outdoor area.) But manageable. (No wonder you put so-called 4th difficulty.)

It seems I missed one enemy, even when I scoured the map. Probably some closet was left unopened, wild guess would be that hallway of those flashy wall bits.
And what's the deal with arch-vile, by the way? It was frozen in that yellow key, yet when I took it, it didn't came alive. But when I reamed the map, I don't know when it became active.
Also, I have most likely missed some switches here and there. I don't have any ideas to improve, except if you put some glowy pillars protruding out of the wall.

Anyways, I liked it. Enemies are well-placed, map design looks clean and offers good amount of exploration. And map looks good, too. Makes me even try to finish my own project too. :P

@Da Werecat
As for that bug... Didn't happen to me when I used GZDoom. However, in ZDoom, it happened and this error popped up:
Unknown P-Code 361 in script Bridge_half

Thanks for the feedback from both of you. Download link above is updated with the fixes now.

Da Werecat said:

Played it a little bit and found a bug. It looks like the floor button can be activated four times. ZDoom version is 2.6.0.

Thanks for the spot. It's weird that it showed up for both of you in ZDoom, as that's what I tested it in. Although I used a quick and dirty approach to getting the script to only trigger once - using NamedScriptWait. Anyway, it was simple enough to tie it to a shotgun shell instead of the linedefs of the little platform.

CorSair said:

It seems I missed one enemy, even when I scoured the map. Probably some closet was left unopened, wild guess would be that hallway of those flashy wall bits.

It could be you missed the Hell Knight here, or the imp in this big, useless room here. Or some other monster closet - some of those guys are set to deaf, but you would usually walk by those closets.
EDIT: ah, there was an imp hiding in the room where you cross the damagefloor to get three ammo boxes and hit a switch. I took it out.

CorSair said:

And what's the deal with arch-vile, by the way? It was frozen in that yellow key, yet when I took it, it didn't came alive. But when I reamed the map, I don't know when it became active.

That's my fault, I set a random delay on Thing_Activate from 1-666 with Thing_Hate(player) when it wakes up. Only, I forgot that there's a monster blocking line just outside of the Yellow Key room, so it just gets stuck there. I've decreased the max delay, so the player should notice it. Also, it's pretty hard to ignore, since the door leading to the room North of the Archie doesn't close. >:)

CorSair said:

Anyways, I liked it. Enemies are well-placed, map design looks clean and offers good amount of exploration. And map looks good, too. Makes me even try to finish my own project too. :P

Thanks! And please do finish yours - it's a very unique take on the project.

Or yeah, and one solution to your skybox problem might be to set the walls of your dummy skybox (where you put the Skybox Viewpoint Thing) to Line > Horizon. It worked for my sky, anyway.

Almost forgot. There was another script error while I was passing flashy monster closets.

Unknown P-Code 361 in script "5DOORS_at_once"

Another thing I'd like to mention is not-so-solid glass. Guess those pinkies weren't very happy about that.

Overall, I liked the map. There were a few moments when I ran out of ammo, but considering fairly non-linear layout it could be much worse. Secrets were actually worth finding for a change, and that's a good thing. The visual theme was pulled off very well with nothing to nitpick from my side.

5DOORS_at_once should be fixed now. Again, it was NamedScriptWait causing the issue. Switched it to ACS_NamedSuspend...

Regarding the 'glass' that's actually on purpose. I put an Imp on the inside there, too, so the player would notice its shoot-through-able-ness. Figured I'd reward observant players with a safe hiding spot for the melee to come. ^_^

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Welp, I finally made it through all the maps. Lots of fun, and most of them turned out really challenging.

Scypek2: Your sky idea was adapted very fast. What means it's a neat idea. Good map overall.

Membrain: All three(!) of your maps are fun playing, I like the arcitecture and the way switches alter the world is great. Good job.

Schwerpunk: Nice, advanced. That archvile in the dark room really creeped me out (every time I see those guys I'm all like "nopenopenopenopeNOPENOPENOPE" and yours was inactive, and I couldn't predict when he would attack me). I still don't get the Dancing Demons part though.

Scientcist: First time I played your map it was late night, and I was tired. So I started and I'm all like "everything is mooooveeing waat...". Now I'm planning to play it drunk or something.

Great feedback on everyone's WADs, sawd. Thanks for your input.

sawd said:

I still don't get the Dancing Demons part though.

Yeah, if there was any section that I would change completely it would be that. It really wasn't clear what was going on--I was just having fun with scripts and ended up leaving it in.

The left switch triggers the script "Demon_Zapper" which flashes the red light and emits the Demons' pain sound, finally killing them. It's supposed to be a way to take them out without wasting ammo (if you didn't get the chainsaw, anyway).

The right switch (with the shotty shells in front) simply activates them with player hate, and teleports them to the bridge room, which will happen anyway, if the player crosses the bridge before going into the rocket launcher room.

I'm trying to avoid gimmicky scripts for my next entry. Thanks again for your feedback. It confirms my suspicions that that room was way too obtuse.

EDIT AGAIN: updated link, v3

I turned my map into a standalone map (no hub). Added more weirdity and lulzistupids:

ZDOOM ONLY, don't use gzdoom etc because lots of moving sectors might make it crash. (actually now not sure which ports aside from zdoom can handle it since I made it faster)
http://filesmelt.com/dl/zdLightCrap3.wad

Has occasional lag for me when lots of stuff moves, but that... uh, a feature not a bug. Yeah, it makes dodging more challenging.

edit:
tried whiteroom.wad, crashes when drag/drop into zdoom 2.5.0 (maybe because udmf whatever format)

gggmork: oh, wow, this is... incredibly playable. I'm about to head off to bed, so I only got to the SSG spot. Those 'openings' have to be one of the most awe inspiring things I've ever seen the Doom engine do. I lost my ability to WASD properly for a moment there.

Anyway, I didn't even wait to die. I Alt+F4'd right there, realizing that I should save this for tomorrow morning, when I'm in a more alert mood. So yeah, great entry so far. Can't wait to dig into it further.

Also, regarding WhiteRoom.wad, that's weird. I'm using ZDoom 2.6.1 with no problems. Does anyone know what might be causing mork issues? I guess I do have a few "OPEN" scripts running, if I had to guess at the troublemaker... :/

I fiddled changing your named scripts into numbered scripts and think that's what makes it playable in zdoom 2.5, if you care about making it more widely compatible w/ older zdoom versions (if you want to edit it, it would probably require going to your script and changing every named one into a number, but then also editing each line trigger in the map to point to the corresponding number instead of name I guess). I actually like sticking with kinda older zdoom and acc/whatever because that guarantees what I make will be more backwards compatible w/ old zdoom versions (like some functions only work in new versions apparently so I try to avoid them.. one of your script terminating functions for example, forgot which). But its your map of course so do what you want.

EDIT: LINKED A NEW v3 OF MY MAP IN PREVIOUS POST
I found a way to reduce slowdown quite a lot by spreading stuff that occurred simultaneously on 1 tic to multiple tics.
Also added a couple more funny things. The exit is cool, ha ha.

Downloading zdLightCrap3.wad now. Will post my thoughts in a bit. Done, see edit below.

Using [or changing to] numbered scripts isn't that big of a deal for me; I use names because it makes finding them easier when I'm mapping, and diagnosing the problem easier when I'm testing.

I'll leave this map as-is for now, unless we decide to add it to the megawad later (in which case I'll be altering it significantly anyway). Re ZDoom 2.5, is there any reason why someone wouldn't update their version of ZDoom to 2.6.#?

General feeler question: Is anyone else using named_scripts?

=====
EDIT: Wee! What a fun ride. It took me fifteen minutes to complete on ITYTD (although I'm not sure if you included difficulty levels). It's hard, a bit unfair, but when I look at the map layout I see a second romp would be easier, now that I know where to find more ammo. By the numbers:
1) excellent health balance. I never had quite enough to feel comfortable, but just enough to survive.
2) I came to fear the SSG rooms as ammo-sinks. After a while, I stopped shooting imps. I can tell that monster infighting would play a big role in mastering this map.
3) These tunnels were fun, and I enjoyed the interplay of light, elevation, and the staggered golden rectangle look.
4) FUCK YOU, ARCHIES (good use of them, though).
5) The big boy near the end was a bit of a surprise, but you provided the tools to get past that obstacle (with some difficulty, and punching of the air), so I liked it.
6) Watching a key do a little clockwork striptease from the hallway. The entire segment that followed was just pure ZDoom silliness & fun. :)
7) Oh yeah, and slowdowns were very manageable. I never died because of them.

EDIT2: added your 2nd entry to the OP, bringing us to update #8!

P.S. if you haven't noticed by now, at this stage of the project, I'm declaring a new update every time a new entry is completed/submitted.

Thanks for the comments. By the way, that map was meant to replace the previous lightcrap (all just the same map, updated).

EDIT: downloaded zdoom 2.6.1 and your map worked. Solid fun map monochomized map (was obvious what lava/doors/etc were). Not sure if I was supposed to jump to get the red key, and not sure if finished ("room has no purpose"). I suspect it'd be quite challenging/fun to tyson due to the berzerk (and I think pistol is allowed in tyson to get the few enemies up on ledges for max).

Yay, more screenies.(Already have some stuff in the gallery, so go for it. :P)

So, I decide to flick more with skybox and... It doesn't look that much in screenie, but when it moves... Feels bit trippy. :P

And pretty much, this is the whole layout. Not really much, but the corridory places are going to filled.

This is going to be filled eventually. I intend to do some sort bazaar of the area.

And anyway, about the name. I first intended to be named Water Realm, but it felt too mundane, then I decided to go for the latin name, Aqua Regnumi. And I am not entirely sure if the last phrase went right. Then hit another name, Ultramarine Kingdom.
If someone could figure any better name, I would appreciate it, since I can't be arsed to choose proper name. >.<

.:edit:.
I played gggmork's wad and, how I should describe it... disorienting? Anyway, it was a quite fun map, and went this through UV first time, death count: 8. I had bit of trouble with ammo, but even with minimal infight, it was still enough to deal them. The start was bit cruel, and getting those goddamn arch-viles while in middle of fight was a real nuisance. Four deaths were cheap shots done by sergeant zombies somewhere in the main room, one from getting splatted by Cybie, arch-viles took two and hell knight splattered me.
And that room with raising points, amazing work. Also, lol @ key hunt. :D

Well here is a third map I've made http://www.solidfiles.com/d/d91b0d7422/ I decided to go with orange textures this time. It's still Doom 2 Map1, multiplayer & deathmatch included. The map is called Support Storage.
Here are a few screenshots
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/8498/support1e.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/6258/support2q.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img502/3813/support3.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img38/4708/support4.png

CorSair: I've updated your pending entry's named. Ultramarine Kingston sounds good. Reminds me a bit of Warhammer. :)

Jaws in Space: Added your completed entry to the OP, bringing us to update #9! My thoughts on your map, by the numbers:

1. Played on HMP.
  2. It starts off nice and quiet, with some good downrange pistol shoot-offs to warm up with. Reminded me a bit of Wolfenstein 3D at this point; in a good way.
  3. But the sounds of Cacos and Pinkies help to ramp up the anticipation of more thrilling fights to come.
  4. The boxy S-shaped hallway, that gets progressively darker really made me wonder if I should be going down that path before picking up a shotgun, lol. Then I actually arrived at the dark room with bodies all around, and decided to double-back like a wuss. Great atmosphere so far at this point.
  5. Nice, non-linear design.
  6. Two bushels of Imps + two boxes worth of rockets = fun fun fun!
  7. There's really no hint that the secret's entrance is an entrance at all, but I got it without any trouble, and it's not like I was wall-humping before that point. So I guess you're relying on some kind of Doomer sixth sense. Can't complain. Oh, and the side textures of the entrance aren't unpegged, but it still looks alright, so maybe it's intentional.
  8. Oh yeah, and the contents while not necessary when I found it, were much appreciated when I doubled-back for health!
  9. Ammo might be a little too sparse. I was down to my chainsaw at more than one point.
  10. Yet later on I maxed out on clip ammo, so maybe I was just not doubling back enough.
  11. The second Berserk Kit seems a bit redundant. But I'm not going to snub my nose at more health.
  12. Two chainsaws in one level? I can see why, though, as some areas would be nigh impossible without it.
  13. Good amount of height variation; moreso later in the level.
  14. Not a lot of room to maneuovre, though.
  15. Got to the end switch (suspected it was the end, so I saved first). Turns out there's a pretty big surprise for players that was to stick around after that. I couldn't beat it, personally. :P

Good entry overall. The brown in an interesting change from the grey palette we usually get. I was a little disappointed when I saw the switch texture, though. The name "Support Storage" is also a little strange - makes me think of a techbase, but the level is more like a grotto.