Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Pope resigning February 28th

geo said:

What are your thoughts and opinions?

I don't even have any. The repugnant ethos of the Catholic church still stands, regardless of who its leader is.

Let me know if this new guy has different ideas about condemning the use of condoms in AIDS-stricken parts of the world.

Maybe they should think outside the box and elect someone who isn't a Catholic to succeed him. ;)

You known, it looks just weird that he's decided to do this when the presidential elections here in Italy are finished...

Enjay said:

Maybe they should think outside the box and elect someone who isn't a Catholic to succeed him. ;)

How I wish this would happen...

I just hope whoever replaces him shows a sense of originality and chooses a unique name. Seriously, "Pope Benedict, 16th of his name" wouldn't sound nearly as impressive as, say, "Pope Flynn Taggart, first of his name."

Khorus said:

Yeah, an atheist pope would amuse the fuck out of me.

Over the course of history there have probably been plenty.

Resigning due to health problems caused by advanced age...
Maybe next time they should elect someone who isn't so fucking old.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware a pope could resign. I thought they were just sort of in there for life. Then again, I'm not catholic, so I suppose there's a lot about that I don't know.

Khorus said:

Yeah, an athiest pope would amuse the fuck out of me.

How about female pope?

Maybe it's not too late for a little more 2013 hysteria from the Protestant fundie camps over how the next Pope will probably be the Anti-Christ, by re-uniting Catholicism, Anglicanism, and the Eastern Orthodox Church, and then attempting to reconcile with the Jews and make peace in the Middle East, all under the guise of benevolence while secretly plotting to declare himself God etcetc.

Caffeine Freak said:

Honestly, I wasn't even aware a pope could resign. I thought they were just sort of in there for life. Then again, I'm not catholic, so I suppose there's a lot about that I don't know.

Well it hasn't happened in I believe more than 700 years so you're certainly forgiven for thinking that.

The previous two popes had publicly said they were thinking about resigning, but in the end they just waited for death to fill the paperwork for them.

Snakes said:

I just hope whoever replaces him shows a sense of originality and chooses a unique name. Seriously, "Pope Benedict, 16th of his name" wouldn't sound nearly as impressive as, say, "Pope Flynn Taggart, first of his name."

¡flynn taggart! I hate that stupid name. I am not religious, but the next pope will probably be "pope shinnok"

Shaikoten said:

Well it hasn't happened in I believe more than 700 years so you're certainly forgiven for thinking that.

1415, Gregory XII. Apparently that was the first time it was done by the book according to canonical law, to avoid guys like Benny the 9th making them look like idiots.

Someone probably bought him out. Swap a corrupt man for another one. What difference does it make?

Gez said:

List of sexually active popes

Because remember, the best guy to pass religious laws on sex are senior citizens who are virgins. They know all about that stuff.

I'd like to see the job given to a radical feminist, maybe they can drag the church's attitude towards women and reproduction into the 19th century.