Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Egregor

Invul Sphere Glitch! (Solved!)

When I run Zdoom or GZdoom whenever I pickup an invulnerability sphere (or use an invulnerability ring for Heretic) the screen (minus the HUD) goes straight white. I've began avoiding them just so I don't have to wait for them to fade out. What up with this? How do I fix it?

You don't. That's your punishment for being invulnerable. You could cheat by using a hacked COLORMAP lump though, like in NUTS.WAD

Blue Shadow said:

This is not a ZDoom or GZDoom thing. It exists even in vanilla Doom.

The effect described in the wiki is called 'inverse monochrome', and this is how it appears when I play vanilla or chocolate Doom. But when I play Zdoom or GZdoom the screen simply goes all white. I have absolutely zero visibility. This appears to be a glitch, but is maybe a problem with my settings? Anybody ever run into this? It is not the 'Invulnerability colormap bug' mentioned in the wiki, which excludes skies from the inverse monochrome effect.

Gez, setting vid_hw2d to false did the trick, for both games. Thank you! Is there anything else I should about leaving vid_hw2d on false. Any weird side effects, etc?

It means you got some problems with your graphics card or driver. ZDoom uses 3D acceleration for its 2D/fullscreen effects.

What kind of graphics card do you have?

Egregor said:

Gez, setting vid_hw2d to false did the trick, for both games. Thank you! Is there anything else I should about leaving vid_hw2d on false. Any weird side effects, etc?

Not really. You lose truecolor on menu and HUD elements, but that's generally not a big problem.

Note that vid_hw2d is not an archived CVAR, so ZDoom will put it back to its default value whenever you restart it.

Anyway, as Graf said, what this means is that the problem comes from your graphics hardware. Since it bungles the effect in both DirectX and OpenGL, I don't think it's at the driver level.

Egregor said:

I've began avoiding them just so I don't have to wait for them to fade out.

You can also toggle the effect using the invulnerability cheat - type idbeholdv at the game screen to cancel the powerup. I'm sure that you could type something at the console too but I can't think what it is ATM. (Of course, you've already got the best solution.)

Enjay said:

I'm sure that you could type something at the console too but I can't think what it is ATM.

Perhaps this? :P

take powerinvulnerable