Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

What phone are you using?

Some Motorola phone. All it does is text and voice.
I've been considering a smartphone but I'm not in a hurry. I had an iPhone from work but ended up selling it.

Mine's a Nokia 5228. Bought it from sale (about 40 euros), been working rather well, even in freezing conditions (though it becomes very slow.)

And there are certain things I want from phone:
If it is squished and dropped from high, yet works all right, I'll buy it.

Samsung S5830.

'Tis a mid-range smartphone that does everything I could conceivably want a phone to do. I can't type on it for shit, but I acknowledge that's not necessarily the phone's fault.

I just ordered a HTC One X phone. Was after a decent phone with a good camera and resolution to keep me entertained during long train trips from home to uni, and managed to snatch one 'on sale' for $439 dollars. At the moment, I have a old nokia phone that was worth 70 bucks, has a cracked screen, and have had it for 3 years.

I'm using some shitty 7 year old nokia flip phone. Not too interested in plunking $500 on something I could lose in my couch cushions.

DoomUK said:

You guys aren't interested in contracts?

A contract is only going to cut off $100-$200 of the phone cost, depending on what model you get. In any event 'a couple hundred' is way too much for a goddamn phone imo.

DoomUK said:

Not really, I don't use the phone that much to justify having a plan. Plus I'm deaf; although I can speak fluently with hardly any deaf accent, I can't hear crap on the phone, so calling people is like, totally redundant, heh. Besides, there are great prepaid plans to have; plenty of flexible options, and I do not want to receive a bill that spiraled out of control, and having to pay more than what is necessary.

DoomUK said:

Most of these contracts have really shitty conditions and pricing which ensure that in the end you not only pay for the phone but a lot more.

So what's the point?

Graf Zahl said:

So what's the point?

My 18-month contract is pretty reasonable (250 calls & 250 texts per month @ £15, calls/texts to phones on the same network are free).

I'm fully aware that I'm parting with more money than the phone is worth. But for me, £15 per month is appreciably more affordable than dropping ~£150 in one go. It all depends on how you work out your budget, I guess.

I'm using a Vodafone branded Huawei u8120. It has a tiny screen, an ancient Android version and is slow. But it was cheap and it's good enough to supply internets for my Nexus 7 by tethering. Oh, and it can be used to make phone calls.

Smart 'phone? No, my 'phone is pretty stupid.

I've had a mobile/cell 'phone longer than most people I know and yet I use it less than most people I know use theirs. From what I can tell, the main reason to get a new 'phone is to show other people how kewl you are. My current one is a Sony Ericsson K750i which I've had for years and never seen the need to get a newer one.

Mind you, I quite fancy getting a Blackberry. I certainly don't want a touch-screen thing (unless it has a real keypad too). After messing around with a few, I simply don't like that technology to be the main method of interface with the device.

The only reason I don't use a smartphone is the overpriced contracts for mobile internet. That'd be the only reason to buy one.

Just for calling my 7 year old Samsung D600 is good enough.

LG flip phone. I miss my Razor v2.

Its funny I don't want a smartphone because I don't want to pay the $50 per month extra they'll charge me yet I constantly spend $40 - $50 per meal out with my gf which happens far too often. Never date a chick that likes sea food.

I own a ZTE blade with 512 MB. Yeah, OWN. No fucking stupid contracts. Bought for Eur. 149 in 2011.

That was my first Smart phone. I bricked it after about 6 or 8 months though because it was pretty shit and I was more interested in seeing what I could do with it. Funny was that it was working after I messed with it. Then all of a sudden as I was out on the town it died and never woke up again. :p

Also, I paid less for my HTC Sense than you did for your ZTE. Having connections rules. :)

Used to own a Sony Ericsson X10 mini (the latest one). The screen ended up faulty something to do with the slider's ribbon cable so now I use my Mum's BlackBerry Curve. In a months time I will be owning her HTC Desire HD.

I gotta admit the 2.1 firmware for the ZTE sucked pretty badly, let alone that the official one "locked" the phone to using just 256 MB of memory (probably in fear that it would hurt sales of more capable ones?).

My first "hack" was to jump through some hoops to unlock the full 512 MB (still ending up with 2.1 localized WIND firmware though). The v2.2 upgrade re-locked the RAM to 256 MB (!) but a way to re-unlock it was found....much better responsiveness now (JIT bytecode compiler and built-in WiFi tethering make it much more useful/usable!)

Enjay said:

My current one is a Sony Ericsson K750i which I've had for years and never seen the need to get a newer one.

I'd still be using my SE K770i if it hadn't died on me.

SE Xperia Neo V. No plan, ~$250.

Still using a K750i as a daily phone -usability with physical keys is overwhelmingly superior to any smartphone. You fully realize that when you see how you can hold it in one hand and still navigate fully through all menus, and WITHOUT HAVING TO LOOK AT THE DAMN SCREEN because of tactile feedback.

Waiting for someone to chime in with links to UP AND COMING tactile feedback touchscreens in 3, 2, 1...