Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

How mad has Doom made you?

I remember once back when I was 15, I was playing PSX Doom during a thunderstorm. Good stuff. I was playing on UV, which was tough for me, cause I was a noob to Doom at that point. Anyway, I was in one of the later levels, one of the Hell maps, and since I sucked, the level was being a dickhead to me. I can't be sure which one now because 15 has been a little over half my lifetime ago and my memory of it's a little fuzzy now, heh. Anyway, I was near the end of the map and wouldn't you know it, the fucking power went out. Me being young, stupid and PO'ed at the time, I picked up my drink that was sitting on the floor next to me and threw it at the TV. Brilliant manuever on my part, yeah I know :)

I've never destroyed/broke anything out of anger (unless throwing unedible sandwiches qualify), even though it's really annoying that I STILL can't figure out Deimos Lab.

- when recording on eternall map12 speed, I hit my head down on my desk and my forehead was cut and bleeding
- smashed my keyboard against my desk and broke it, keys flew everywhere
- stabbed my chair repeatedly with a screwdriver
- stabbed my old CRT monitor with a screwdriver, chipping the glass
- hit a butter knife against the top of my monitor, the knife flipped over and cut my knuckle
- punched my chair, it flipped over and hit my tv and cracked the screen

This all happened in my 20s while recording demos, but I don't do that stuff anymore and haven't in about 3 years. I don't record much anymore and I take a different approach to it now when I do record.

Ripped the Q key off of my keyboard; whoever decided to make that key uncustomizable is a dick.

I'm sure your furniture and technological stuff values your choice highly.

I have yet to go insane. The worst I did was calling doom monster a mean meanie.

Woah TOD. :)
I'm not as crazy: mostly I just swear while recording but sometimes I may hit the keyboard or myself. Also I never get angry while playing "casually", only while recording.

My biggest freakout was in public playing Doom on an iPhone. I had vowed to complete the whole game on UV, but Episode 4 was giving me the worst time imaginable. I quit during E4M3 I think, but not after shouting a few "THIS GAME IS GOING TO KILL ME ONE DAY"s and smacking a guy in the face with my phone accidentally.

He forgave me.

Maybe once or twice it made me a little bit frustrated, never hit things around me or such.

When it did, I used to take a break, and try again after I cooled.
(Slaughtermaps are my weakness).

TimeOfDeath said:

- stabbed my old CRT monitor with a screwdriver, chipping the glass

holy shit -.-

if recording on a hard map, there always seems to be that phase for a few attempts where any semblance of skill I had seems to evaporate, repeatedly dying stupidly. Pretty frustrating yah, though I'm not yet hardcore enough to stab my monitor.

I just swear and curse a lot and if I'm really mad and keep messing up because of it I get up and look out a window until I settle down. I've never broken/thrown anything because of Doom, but I have broken my keyboard while playing other games before.

I'm more controlled, but I have had fits of anger in earlier days.

Trying to speed through Hunted was once frustrating, whenever I failed, I kept slamming the mouse against the table.
Sometimes, when I pressed a key during a crucial part, it fails to function so I mess up my attempt. I press down really hard on that key.
My punching bag saved me the trouble of destroying furniture. Not Doom related, but another game frustrated me to the point of having a boxing session.

I swear under my breath occassionally. Once, I thought I achieved a god-like speed on a UV-Max...turns out I was playing on HMP because I just slapped enter a few times instead of choosing UV. I threw a nearby tissuebox (thank god it was only that) at the wall.

Probably the most and loudest I've sworn when Dooming was the recording session that eventually resulted in c209p255.lmp (CChest2 map09 Pacifist).

The two Dooming incidents mentioned here weren't due to anger.

Overall, I think Doom has a calming influence.

I've taken a hammer to my ghouls ghosts snes cartridge. Doom makes me say long strings of expletives, sort of inspired by Tourette's Guy. You're grounded because you don't think the garbage disposal sounds like Chewbaca taking a SHIT! Fuck salt!

Never got too upset at Doom iWADs, but I have recently said aloud "fuck thisss shiiiit-tuh" to a player-made pWAD before Alt-F4-ing back to work and worry.

Oh, and my NES controller took a beating back in the day, but who's didn't?

I just quit the game, breath for several seconds, then start playing again. Yeah, that's it, I don't get angry at Doom. I get angry at car racing games, such as you're the first. Eventually, I hit an useless decoration, changing me from 1st to 12th.

Punching the keyboard is the biggest thing I did, but still, not compared to what happened with some people here.

When I was bit younger, I usually punched monitor, along with few choice words. (And monitor always won, because it was one friggin' tough fucker.)

Now, my fist just shudders for second or two and I either continue, quit or take a break. And not even word.

I get frustrated when I get hung up on seemingly nothing but I haven't gotten really mad at Doom like I do other games.

I was playing Fight Night on Xbox with a cheap wireless control that would randomly miss button hits. I liked having the wireless controllers but it had always been an issue. A few years before that I would have just smashed the controller on the floor, but that day, I stopped, thought about it, then made a conscious decision to make my life better by smashing the controller on the floor.

Bit of standard swearing and shouting, certainly, although that's more when a lot of editing time is lost due to something stupid like a crash when backups hadn't been taken. Generally speaking if Doom annoys me and it gets past a bit of gritted teeth and verbal outbursts, I just quit the game and leave it, rather than getting physically enraged.

I think my worst gamer rage ever was either those very young fighting game sessions with my brother that ocassionally got physical, or punching my own leg in frustration at some of the last races in Midnight Club II, where winning literally demanded a flawless run and I made some stupid mistake and had to retry. I never punched myself too hard though - it was just letting off steam in a non-damaging or attention getting way. Punching the mattress of my bed in a similar manner was a reasonably frequent alternative.

I've certainly never broken any of the equipment or furniture in my room or around me due to video games.

I never get too mad with Doom, although I might get pissedwith the level designer for making a dumb trap that only serves to annoy. Regardless, when you have a console available, you can always say fuck it and proceed.

Ragnor said:

I never get too mad with Doom, although I might get pissedwith the level designer for making a dumb trap that only serves to annoy. Regardless, when you have a console available, you can always say fuck it and proceed.

This.

When it comes to modern shooters, though, I'd give AVGN a run for his money.

Never have went mad with this game or any other game in my teenage days. I guess because I very non-competitive about everything is why I never understand of why people get mad at games. I just laugh at it, really.

scalliano said:

This.

When it comes to modern shooters, though, I'd give AVGN a run for his money.

Considering AVGN is, for the most part, a scatological haven, anybody (especially kids) can give the guy a run for his indie-gogo dollars.

Jimmy91 said:

I've called many chaingunners cunts.

cuntgunners!

well, i hate when random shit happens. like when monsters, especially pinkies, get in the way, i'm hit by projectiles that weren't even aimed at me, or weak monsters do stupidly high damage because they win the RNG lottery.

the worst offender however is the mouse / keyboard not working properly, i smashed one of these cheap keyboards to bits because it couldn't read several inputs at once and ignored my weapon selection.

that cursing and desk punching was in the days of the CRT, now i guess i'm simply too lazy to get mad.