Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JackCaliber

Doomgirl

I wanna make a female protagonist for the game (whose sprites would double as female marines you can free throughout the game), but only if there's a big enough demand. I dunno, think a Doomgirl would go over big?

How would that look different than Doomguy in all his armor and helmet unless you exaggerate female features?

Yeah, exaggerated features, a new face for the HUD, and a higher pitched voice screaming obscenities. The suit would be slightly modified, although I'm kinda debating whether it should have an open mid riff.
If I commit to this, I'm gonna go all the way and make her Brutal Doom compatible with all the fatalities and bird flipping.

Personally, I think it would be funny if the female version of the space marine outfit offered more protection than the male one (from a purely aesthetic standpoint). Also, didn't Maes write a story about how Doomguy removed the plate covering his midriff because he was too hot, or something? Anyway, I always assumed that they came with protection of that area, but Doomguy's is missing for whatever reason.

There's already a few sprite sets going about (there's at least two linked to in a request thread I've got going over at the ZDoom forums).

What I'd really like though is a set that has vweapon support (ie separate sprites for each of the stock Doom weapons).

I don't think any new attempts at making a female marine would look worse than that... thing used in Immoral Conduct. You know the one, that matchstick abomination with half a helmet and LIPSTICK.

I saw one that I guess was supposed to be like a hologram or something of one in a zdaemon survival server on some level. Had a lava river you had to ride down wearing a radiation suit...

That's about all I've seen.

GooberMan said:

There's already a few sprite sets going about (there's at least two linked to in a request thread I've got going over at the ZDoom forums).

What I'd really like though is a set that has vweapon support (ie separate sprites for each of the stock Doom weapons).

Alrighty! The Crash sprites seem to have the proportions I'm looking for, but... I'm kinda new to modding, and I'm not quite sure how the black-and-white sprites work, what's the deal with that in so many words (or a tutorial if linking me would be easier) I'm using Slade.

That's just SLADE getting confused. The sprites are meaningless without the palette, which lives in your DOOM.WAD/DOOM2.WAD/etc.

I can't get SLADE to read PWAD graphics properly without copy/pasting the palette in to it temporarily, even when I have an IWAD loaded. I'm sure there's a proper way to do it, but I know not of the way.

GooberMan said:

That's just SLADE getting confused. The sprites are meaningless without the palette, which lives in your DOOM.WAD/DOOM2.WAD/etc.

I can't get SLADE to read PWAD graphics properly without copy/pasting the palette in to it temporarily, even when I have an IWAD loaded. I'm sure there's a proper way to do it, but I know not of the way.

In the toolbar at the top of the SLADE window, load Doom2.wad as your Base Resource, then in the dropdown menu next to that, set Palette to Existing/Global.

GooberMan said:

Don't hesitate to ask questions. People who use (and even develop) SLADE 3 frequent the same forums. ;)

printz said:

Isn't Crash a noob in the Vadrigar universe?

I can't imagine how anyone would care about the vadrigar and their silly universe. It's nothing but a shallow pretext to have these characters fight each other repeatedly. Unreal Tournament went with "sci-fi gladiators on TV"; Q3A went with "godlike aliens summon the best warriors from other universes to make them fight for their amusement".

In both cases, you can be generous with the pathetic plot and write an essay about how the immoral Liandri Corporation or the cruel, alien Vadrigars are really just us -- the people who created, bought, and played these games, since we are the ones who summoned all these characters and we are the ones who make them fight forever for our amusement. But the games don't really delve into the metafictional, nor offer a critique of our taste for simulated violent entertainment.

Anyway, if the vadrigars at Id Software have deemed Crash good enough to be included in Q3A, she's not that much of a noob, is she? Who cares.

schwerpunk said:

Anyway, I always assumed that they came with protection of that area, but Doomguy's is missing for whatever reason.

If you look at a hi-res copy of the original Doom box art, it quite clearly shows the Doomguy has a rip in the front of his clothing* and the the other marine running in from the background has the front of his clothing intact.

*I say "clothing" rather than armour because it does just look like cloth rather than a more protective material.

Enjay said:

If you look at a hi-res copy of the original Doom box art, it quite clearly shows the Doomguy has a rip in the front of his clothing* and the the other marine running in from the background has the front of his clothing intact.

*I say "clothing" rather than armour because it does just look like cloth rather than a more protective material.

[hiresimg]

...Wow. I never realized this somehow.

More on topic though, logically a female version of the Marine would look exactly the same as the Marine always does.

Enjay said:

If you look at a hi-res copy of the original Doom box art...

Mind sending a link to this complete image?

I can't dig it out just now but I'm sure it has been linked from here a number of times. Perhaps someone else can provide a link? If not, I'll upload what I have when I get the chance.

JackCaliber said:

she does have an exposed midriff in Q3

This is mostly my problem with many of the existing female marine sprites. They show skin simply because they're female. That's not combat practical*. I'm using the Selene set currently simply because it looks far closer to what females marines would actually be issued to wear in the Doom universe. The new Crash skin looks far better in the practicality front too, but neither have vwep.

Whatever you end up doing, if you develop vwep support for it in the next couple of months I'll probably use it and award you with at least one internet.

* Q3 was never about combat practicality, it was about stylisation.

printz said:Isn't Crash a noob in the Vadrigar universe?

She was in the bottom tier, despite instructing Doomguy, but I'd make my version as bad-ass as possible.

GooberMan said:They show skin simply because they're female. That's not combat practical.

Never thought of Doom as practical, but I'll definitely take your opinion into consideration. I've also got an idea on how I might make alternate costumes really fast, but more on that later.

GooberMan said:Whatever you end up doing, if you develop vwep support for it in the next couple of months I'll probably use it and award you with at least one internet.

About that... my searches have turned up pages upon pages of forum questions, but no info on what they actually ARE. Are they like separate sprites layered over the character? Would I start by drawing them holding an invisible gun or something, because that's what I started doing anyway.

JackCaliber said:

Would I start by drawing them holding an invisible gun or something, because that's what I started doing anyway.

Basically.

Then it's a question of people using the "weaponless" sprite sheet as a base and pasting gun sprites.

GreyGhost said:

I know this is OT, but I just noticed that parts from the top of the title writing obviously served as a base for the TEKWALL4 texture...
Might be old news, but I'm a little amazed ATM :P