Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Doom or Quake on Blackberry 9900?

I wanna make my Blackberry a bit more exciting, so I thought that Doom or Quake can help? Yes, the Blackberry has a small screen, but still, it would be fun. ^_^ But when I search up, all I find is Playbook apps...
Is there a way I can make a simple .exe or something?

Your best option seems to be DoomGLES, though I'm not sure if it would run on your blackberry (Playbook? No idea what it is).

There's this not very promising-looking "PlayDoom" thing too, as well as a bunch of Wold3D Java clones.

There's DOSBox for Blackberry, so the sky (and the hardware contraints) is the limit :-p

I gotta say however, that for such a popular platfrom, the Blackberry seems to be getting the short end of the stick. No Chocolate Doom or prBoom ports to date, other than DoomGLES...

Maes said:

I gotta say however, that for such a popular platfrom, the Blackberry seems to be getting the short end of the stick. No Chocolate Doom or prBoom ports to date, other than DoomGLES...

Don't expect this to change. The old BB platform is pretty much dead - it's also a nightmare to develop for with very restricted capabilities. Any kind of software rendering is pretty much impossible without direct access to native bitmap data. Wasn't this also the reason why Doom on iOS had to use PrBoom's GL renderer?

Graf Zahl said:

Wasn't this also the reason why Doom on iOS had to use PrBoom's GL renderer?

Not sure about iOS, but definitively a show-stopper on JavaME platforms (again, only overridable if you used Java3D primitives, hence not full software rendering). Android ports of Doom also use the same trick, in part because there's no indexed color support in the standard Android API. Actually they use software rendering on a GL surface, which gets around this limitation...only to impose others.