Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

New wad, some ideas with it.

Thanks to a mixture of events, AIRBSE.wad that was heavily improved and worked on by me... bit the bucket due to a corruption...
that is not going to stop me! I WILL make a wad for use with Brutal Doom!
this time I have approached it from a new angle, atmosphere!
in an attempt to cause atmosphere, I found that the Doom 2 soundtrack is a bit... "colorful", so I would recommend an atmospheric music pack, like the one provided by Mr.Chris. The map includes 2 textures I made by inverting the colors of some of the old textures then editing the outcome by adding more color and variation to them as well as removing any bright purple parts, one of the textures (GRN_1) is used as flooring and the other (CUS_1) is used as a health station!
oh yeah, there is marked out health stations to be placed in the maps, standing in them will revive your health slowly, I have not played a wad that uses this feature, I personally like it!
the first map is done, it involves you, hopefully the pistol (from the mutation for BD) and some imps as well as a surprise 2 surprise encounters, one is run and gun and the over requires a strategy (but I fail at it in the vid!)...
the maps exit is hidden, but it is kind of damn obvious where and how.
the map in action:

Memfis said:

Standing still and waiting for your health to restore is not fun.

yes, true, but in later levels I am planning things to be hunting for you in the dark, the health station being your only light, standing on that podium with low health and a hulking menace looking to kill you will HOPEFULLY add to the tension, if not then that it will be another bad idea!
well that and the fact that it is going to be the only source of health!

joe-ilya said:

Play Minecraft , and explore caves , you'll sure have lot's of good ideas.

funny that, I have used minecraft as inspiration before! thanks!

schwerpunk said:

Oblige works, too. Sure, it's not nearly as heterodox as we'd like, but it coughs up some interesting ideas from time to time.

yeah, I got to admit my maps are mainly based off of what Oblige has thrown at me, I might use the designs of the generated caverns. thanks!

mrthejoshmon said:

funny that, I have used [i]minecraft as inspiration[i] before! thanks!

Can you show me some of those Minecraft wad inspirations?

mrthejoshmon said:

here are some in just one of the wads I did it in (its was based of a natural cave I found)

Nature maps are my favorite kind of maps

joe-ilya said:

Nature maps are my favorite kind of maps

yeah, the idea behind this map was to stray away from my main base/city themes, the map is not finished yet but I have a good idea what it will look like!

I need a tester to tell me if its creepy enough:
three maps are done
added colored lighting
use with brutal doom for maximum effect
also use with atmospheric music pack or something (I recommend Mr. Chris' but I could not find the DL :P)
download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ckai1m3m8i2fkqz
please give feedback or at least ideas for improvement!

It's terrifying if you're afraid of dull corridors and Imps. Wound up turning on godmode because I have no idea how you're meant to take on the first two Barons.

The second map atleast seems like it's got an interesting concept in mind, but it doesn't really deliver.

Also, that "new texture" looks absolutely dreadful.

I'll also mirror Memfis' statement. If you want the health stations to be a tension thing, save them for those tense moments.

By the way, that little city area visible from the start? Infinitely more interesting than any of the actual WAD.

(empty) said:

It's terrifying if you're afraid of dull corridors and Imps. Wound up turning on godmode because I have no idea how you're meant to take on the first two Barons.

The second map atleast seems like it's got an interesting concept in mind, but it doesn't really deliver.

Also, that "new texture" looks absolutely dreadful.

I'll also mirror Memfis' statement. If you want the health stations to be a tension thing, save them for those tense moments.

By the way, that little city area visible from the start? Infinitely more interesting than any of the actual WAD.

Thanks, something deep down inside said I fucked it up somehow, and now I know how! I kind of expected me to fail this concept, suppose I should just turn it into a normal wad and let the better mappers handle the atmosphere :)
(oh and you lead the first one out, then run for the SSG on the side and blow 2's head off on brutal doom, then swiftly deal with 1 and exit via the bookcase)
anybody that wants a refund for this wad can find a better one here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9il0geca499396m

mrthejoshmon, imo you shouldn't ever stop trying to do what you want to do. perhaps it would help to have more experience with "normal" maps first (ie not atmosphere focused) but don't stop trying to do what you want to do just because you don't quite know how to get it right the first time.

i think playing around with a new system of health is neat but as others have said in this case it sounds mediocre. i don't know what kind of solution i could offer you but i guess you just have to make sure that whatever new gameplay elements you're introducing can't be abused/keep things exciting at least

Tango said:

mrthejoshmon, imo you shouldn't ever stop trying to do what you want to do. perhaps it would help to have more experience with "normal" maps first (ie not atmosphere focused) but don't stop trying to do what you want to do just because you don't quite know how to get it right the first time.

i think playing around with a new system of health is neat but as others have said in this case it sounds mediocre. i don't know what kind of solution i could offer you but i guess you just have to make sure that whatever new gameplay elements you're introducing can't be abused/keep things exciting at least

I have not given up... yet, its just I am changing huge amounts of the gameplay and mechanics itself so its more action focused rather than atmosphere, the health systems remaining but there will be other sources for health too.
thanks for the reassuring words though, that actually makes me want to continue the idea.