Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Your favorite Grand Theft Auto?

Like the title says, what's your favorite GTA (or more)? Mine's GTA 4 and Vice City. GTA 4 had a lot of content from the past GTA's and mixed them into a fun game and story line. Vice City was my first GTA, and I love the Scarface-like plot, and the content in the game.

If anyone's asking, I'm getting San Andreas soon, as I never played it. Thus the lack of it on my favorites. I know it's a lot of fun though!

Vice City was a lot of fun. San Andreas was less fun. GTA IV my interest just fell off a cliff. It felt too real and felt like I didn't want to be a part of that story. GTA 3 had a difficulty curve when the old areas filled up with gangs. Races become extremely difficult.

The series peaked with GTA 3, in my opinion. Vice City, San Andreas and GTA 4 all had their qualities, but felt like more of the same thing.

Of course, you can pick up any Grand Theft Auto game and have a lot of fun just fucking around with it.

If you haven't played San An yet, it's gonna rock your socks off.It's by far and away my favourite of the entire series and has bags of replayability. I found myself creating my own missions using the various vehicle spawns throughout the map long after the actual game was completed.

San Andreas by far. There is SO. MUCH. TO DO. I could probably load it up right now and still find shit that I hadn't seen before, and I've put probably over a thousand hours into that game between my PS2 and PC copies.

WildWeasel said:

saint's row 2

SR2 was garbage. I couldn't play it for more than 20 minutes. SR3 was pretty fun though. Suffers a little bit from "Trying Too Hard" syndrome though, but not as badly as DNF.

Nomad said:

SR2 was garbage. I couldn't play it for more than 20 minutes. SR3 was pretty fun though. Suffers a little bit from "Trying Too Hard" syndrome though, but not as badly as DNF.

I thought SR2 was the best sandbox game I had ever played.

What made it garbage.

GTA3, but I have a hard time claiming my preference for the game is anything but nostalgia. I still think that, while the newer games offer more to do, GTA3's content to area ratio was much better. There's so much empty land with absolutely nothing in San Andreas, for example. GTA3, there was probably two hidden packages, a weapon, and a rampage mission within a couple blocks of you at all times.

San Andreas is probably the most impressive of the games, though. Picking up GTA4 right after finishing that was more of a disappointment than picking up Vice City after maxing GTA3. Honestly, probably half way through GTA4 I just want to play through SA again. It feels like such a regression in every way except graphics.

I have only played gta3, vice city and san andreas and enjoyed all three of them. My favourite just is Vice City but all 3 and very good in their own little quirky ways.

PRIMEVAL said:

Vice City had the best story and setting, imo, while San Andreas had the best gameplay.

Pretty much this.

As for Saints Row, I loved 2 to the point of 100%ing it. 3 was okay I guess.

hardcore_gamer said:

I thought SR2 was the best sandbox game I had ever played.

What made it garbage.

I hated it the moment I got in a car and started driving. The cars handle like butter on a hot Teflon road.

GTA3 is my fav. I like the extra stuff in VC and LCS, but I thought VC was kinda flat terrain-wise. Also, I prefer the vehicle handling and vigilante mission in 3 so much that I always choose to play 3 instead. Haven't played the others.

A couple days ago I found a new favourite spot for blowing shit up with the rocket launcher.

Maybe the first two. But I usually didn't bother with any of the missions. Well, when I first played the game, I didn't even know there were any missions. I thought the goal of the game was to steal cars, drive over people and get the cops and military chasing and then kill as many of them as possible. And also to cause lots of car crashes and all kinds of chaos. But eventually that gets a bit old and doesn't really go anywhere...

I enjoy them all, but 3 is my favorite simply because of how many hours I could pour into it and never good bored. The missions were fun too, and rarely just seemed like busy work.

SA, VC and IV all tie for second since I like them all. IV could have offered a bit more though.. Didn't last nearly as long as 3.

However my love for it started with the original GTA, I watched my brother play that one all the time when I was really young. Ah, memories.

GTA 1 is pretty hard for me. I'm still trying to get past Liberty City 1: Gangsta Bang, the first set of missions! **

I love the stereotypical rap theme though.

Somewhere around the middle of VC I got bored of the franchise. I picked up GTA4 and went through the story but I don't revisit it much. I tried getting into SA but I feel like there's too much junk in it.

Saints Row 2 gets an honourable mention from me. Still holds my attention now even more than either GTA4 or SRTT (which was FAR too short). If your comp can handle the buggy, ill-optimized mess that is the PC version, I recommend grabbing it on Steam and plugging in the Gentlemen Of The Row mod for extra crazy (and stability).

Vice City, I found San Andreas to be bland and boring in the long run and it sacrificed too much quality for quantity that everything just felt too much like the same thing because of how it was done.

I'd have to go with San Andreas, simply because there were so many things to do. I didn't really care much for the story, but just messing around was far funner than any of the GTA's before. Plus it had a half-way decent aiming mechanism so you could actually hit what you're shooting at without locking on.

One of my favorite past-times in it was enabling the super-jump on bicycle cheat, forget what they called it, and then cycling full speed at skyscrapers, jumping at them, pulling your wheels forward, hitting the side of the building, and once the wheels connected, jumping off of it. Then turning yourself around mid-air, and jumping off the building next to it. I think I got to four or five jumps off the sides of buildings before I was moving too fast and it just threw me off of the bike, where I smacked into the next building and fell to my death. So yeah, it was kind of like wall-jumping in Metroid, except on a bicycle.

And I still have fond memories of driving a combine harvester and mowing down pedestrians while listening to "I Love a Rainy Night".