Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

When trying this wad in ZDaemon, I wasn't able to launch maps 27-28. Since in this week's TNS we are playing just first part it is not a problem yet. As evo said in TNS post, these maps use blank segs and ssectors lumps: I tried to rebuild both maps with DB nodebuilders (zdbsp bsp-w32 and zennode) but didn't succeed in playing both maps with ZD.

PRboom+, GZdoom and Zdoom launched them fine (although Zdoom gave some console error: This map has an incomplete BSP tree.) Shooting blind I discovered that if those outer sectors in map 27 (where monsters are teleported from) are deleted, ZD is able to launch the map so don't know if there must be a problem there... I haven't been able to find the root of that.

i really need to get around to playing this. I got half way through 2011, how does this one compare?

ye map 27 and 28 lag a lot online. They are only playable in prboom or glboom sadly though because they seem lots of fun to play online.

Map11
Sectors 108 and 177 are marked as secret when they should not be.
These connect to monster teleport areas.

mouldy said:

I got half way through 2011, how does this one compare?

Much better IMO. There's a lot of variation and neat design this time around. Last five maps are definitely a sight (and struggle) to behold.

Not sure if this is a bug or something to do with the port and settings I'm using (GZDoom, default compatibility settings), but on map 32, after entering the Blood Code I can't get across to the other room like when I had to input the Typewriter Code and the Patient Wing Code (both of those worked just fine for me).

status bar, titlepic, interpic and small font (or whatever you call that) should be ready tomorrow sometime.

Besides that, would anyone object if I redecorated MAP01: Exodus? I've been staring at that map every time I load the wad to test graphics, and it started to really get on my nerves, so I just edited a few things this evening, and I quite like the results.

Grain of Salt said:

status bar, titlepic, interpic and small font (or whatever you call that) should be ready tomorrow sometime.

Besides that, would anyone object if I redecorated MAP01: Exodus? I've been staring at that map every time I load the wad to test graphics, and it started to really get on my nerves, so I just edited a few things this evening, and I quite like the results.

1) Excellent news, now only map07 needs tweaking from mr kyka
2) Sure the map has had a lot of hands on it now (my fault since I left here for a little while due to personal issues at home), so yeah no problem if you want to give the map a visual makeover.

dobugabumaru said:

Much better IMO. There's a lot of variation and neat design this time around. Last five maps are definitely a sight (and struggle) to behold.

wonder if the megawad club would ever submit to the torture...

mouldy said:

wonder if the megawad club would ever submit to the torture...

I would like to do a slaughter-oriented wad one time for the club but I fear it'd only be me, you and cannonball playing through it. That or we'd just get a lot of people quitting/stopping at the first difficulty spike.

So I IDDQD'd through the updated Damnation, noticed a couple things: the teleporters in the lava at the final arena (and the multiplayer tele) don't work, and there needs to be block lines around the gate that closes in the final arena, otherwise it'll get stuck on monsters and allow the player to just camp out in the mastermind arena. Besides those there are a few more gameplay things I'm unsure about, like allowing the player to backtrack once he opens up the mastermind arena and the lack of perched suppression in there as well. If you're still reading this darkreaver and don't feel like changing them, you can give me the "OK" and I can try to tweak them myself.

I`m here. And I was actually sitting here feeling bad for not editing the map, but I just cant get myself to do it. I was just about to post "just use dobugabumarus version", heh.

Feel free to edit it, OR use your last version.

I never use zdaemon, so do you know how to fix it? I most likely have a 64 unit length line "scroll floor in direction of line" or whatever for the player1 dummy(ies).

increase the length of the linedef used for the scrolling floor. Then put blocking pillars between each of the linedefs used to lower the corresponding areas in your map. These have the same tag as the floors in your map.
For my map there are 3 lowering floors. The first one activates at the level start. Then the voodoo doll is blocked by a pillar which has same sector action tag as the floor I start on. The length of time till the next floor is lowered is determined by the height of that pillar and hence how long it takes to descend to the floor to allow the voodoo doll to move forwards and trigger the next floor to lower. This keeps repeating until all floors are lowered. Pretty much the variable of time for each floor to lower is now determined by the height of a pillar in the way of the voodoo doll instead of the distance between each linedef trigger and hence the differing speed of the scrolling floor should not make any difference in any port.
Hope this explains it. :S

that too to be honest. I was kind of annoyed about what happened in my map. But I worked an alternative method so it shouldn't matter now. Though saying that the problem in zdaemon should be fixed as I can't believe that these maps are the first to experience this problem (probably not on tns but other games/matches on there)

Zd kinda broke up some stuff I really didn't expect. A sector set to be geralised raising damaging floor didn't work with damaging, and therefore voodoo script broke due to that as monsters ended up stuck on top of it. In map 16 you can apparently get stuck in megasphere secret, in map 6 there was some magic happenning (someone got stuck in HOMmy area), and map 13 voodoo stuff also worked awkwardly, and it's not very multiplayer-friendly map (lots of places that get blocked up without multiplayer access), same thing about map 14 before last room. Also, don't play map 15 with fast. :))

As for scrolling floors, we didn't break up anything. There's something weird with zd as I see it. I hope I didn't forget anything.

Yo, check my flow
zdaemon can blow a crow's big toe
its a so-so hoe actin' like a pro
so let's release this mo-fo, bro.
row row your boat full of GI joes

dead-set on facilitating zd compatibility, or just say suck it up go play prb? If the scrolling speed is fucked I imagine the RK route on map30 will involve quite a bit of downtime

Maybe for a mordeth award, but if we release it now maybe we can get the lessdeth award.

Ribbiks said:

dead-set on facilitating zd compatibility, or just say suck it up go play prb? If the scrolling speed is fucked I imagine the RK route on map30 will involve quite a bit of downtime

Thing is, some boom errors washed up. At least I believe so. Those which I've written except screwed scrolling and damaging floors are all most likely present in boom.

So far what I comfirmed:
- map 13 needs coop teleporters in two spots before rk room and yk room
- map 14 needs coop teleporter before last room
- map 16 you can get stuck in secret

dobugabumaru said:

I would like to do a slaughter-oriented wad one time for the club but I fear it'd only be me, you and cannonball playing through it. That or we'd just get a lot of people quitting/stopping at the first difficulty spike.

I'd be up for something like that, no problem. You're probably right that there'd end up being a lot of member attrition, same as there probably would if you were ever to do an Eternal Doom-style WAD (a large Bob Evans or Jim Flynn map would probably kill off just as many as an Okuplok map)....but that fact alone needn't necessarily stop you, after all.

On-topic: I've only tried a couple of the SF2012 maps, and they would be ancient versions at this point (if they're even making the final set at all), so I can't comment on the WAD at this time, but I reckon this edition is looking like it'll benefit from having a year+ time in development, relative to the decidedly uneven 2011 edition, which was made in half that, if I understand correctly.

dobugabumaru said:

I would keep at it if the doomworld megawad club does play this. I will keep a lullsy death count after each map. Could hit three or even 4 figures by the end of the wad haha.

I'll just post this stuff here because I'm getting headache trying to recollect to-do list.

There's quite a heap of stuff already flying around which might as well get incorporated to main wad meanwhile, I think.

- new map 15 version
- new map 25 version
- new map 30 version
- new (pointless) map 5 version
- untag unreachable secrets in map 11
- add soulsphere near start of map 34

Besides that, there's more serious stuff which might require a bit of actual playtesting.

- map 13 needs coop teleporters before rk room and yk room
- map 14 needs coop teleporter before last room
- map 16 you can get stuck in secret
- map 28 - try to incorporate secret exit room to progress so it'd not be purposeless
- map 12 - uhm
- map 7 - sigh

Here's Damnation, yet again. I put HKs where the chaingunners were and balanced the ammo a tiny bit. I thought about adding more of j4rio's suggestions, like revealing them or throwing lost souls in, but I like the gameplay as is personally. Only problem is that the MM tends to fight the HKs somewhat early, negating his threat, but the HKs provide nice pressure as you're trying to blast the AVs. Not sure if I want to work on this any longer though.

The error I've been urging to fix since the beginning of time is still there. :P You can press MM switch from below.

The HK platforms are almost harmless, so when revs get released, all the metallic cover around HKs should be removed so they become a threat.

I'll take care of it myself unless somebody minds.