Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doom 2: BFG Edition (A plea to ID)

DoomCollector said:

What's hardware rending? Like what diffrence does it make and what people use it? Do I?

Hardware rendering in a Doom sense is mainly taking advantage of your video card to render the engine in either OpenGL (GZDoom) or Direct3D/DirectX (Vavoom). The majority of the doom commmunity likely uses GZDoom as that has the widest compatibility with wads (vanilla, Boom, ZDoom, and certain Doom Legacy wads, which makes up the vast majority of wads out there). If you're using GZDoom to play Doom with, you're using hardware rendering.

I don't only hate hardware rendering for it's texture filtering, I also really hate how it (at least in GZDoom) robs the final picture of any depth because the fake lighting contrast and the fade to darker colors at a distance are very weak compared to software rendering no matter what settings you use. It ends up looking way too bright and uniform.

The only port that had doom graphics prettied up that I remember tolerating was JDoom because I think it added this ambient occlusion-type shading in the corners and it ended up looking really amazing.

Recent versions of GZDoom have a form of software emulation (similar to EDGE). It's not perfect, but it's decent.

scalliano said:

Recent versions of GZDoom have a form of software emulation (similar to EDGE). It's not perfect, but it's decent.

Most ports, including Doomsday, also allow you to turn off near all the filtering

As an active, analysing and criticising video gamer for the last 10 years and online community member for at least 5 years with about 12000 posts during this time I think I have a pretty good idea about what sells and what does not.

Oh wow, he really just used his post count to back up his point. Put this next to that deathmatch megawad that was suppose to represent gays in Doom community and health regen.

Vermil said:

Most ports, including Doomsday, also allow you to turn off near all the filtering

It's not the same thing we're talking about. Scalliano alluded to this. I don't know if Doomsday has something similar.