Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
levir

changing music mid-level

I tried, I succeeded, BUT, what I'm doing is starting a level out in a 1950's small town with a carhop and diner, drive-in, etc and then midway through down an alley you find an old-style town made of wood and stone from possibly the 1800s, a cemetary, and the tomb of cain that had been on the news (in the game). I have a radio-station replica track going on with leslie gore's "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" and some other tracks switched through with some local news, and once you get to the tomb and find the way down to a hidden chamber then to hell the music changes to "broken" - a nice track I made if I do say so myself. The problem is, now that I've used "setmusic" to change it to broken, there is no sunshine. there are no lollipops. and certainly the rainbows are all past tense.

Am I using the wrong code?

You can only have one music track playing in the background at a time in a map. Using SetMusic to change the music to something else will simply replace whatever music was playing at the time with new one.

what I mean is, whenever I set in the acs script for music to change halfway through, the initial music won't play defined in the mapinfo

sorry for the misunderstanding and delay, I fell asleep on the couch

I wouldn't know why it doesn't play what's set in MAPINFO, but you could always just use an ENTER or OPEN script to set the initial music instead.

PrBoom+ has a less known thing that changes music when you walk into a sector that contains it. Look it up.

Yeah I don't get it either it worked years ago... I always have problems figuring out enter and open because I have to make a script to work just when the level starts because it always runs script 1 just then lol, so I just improvised and put stuff there for that purpose. I'm using setmusic I'll look up alternates I was just seeing if anyone knew the latest code... the last one I used didn't work at all within acs. I can upload the level somewhere or the scripts at least if anyone has the time.

to the PrBoom+ - I'm using zdoom but thanks :)

levir said:

what I mean is, whenever I set in the acs script for music to change halfway through, the initial music won't play defined in the mapinfo

You want to change it back? Use SetMusic again...

levir said:

to the PrBoom+ - I'm using zdoom but thanks :)

It's also in ZDoom.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/MUSINFO

aaaaahahahahahahaaaa!!!! i forgot the fucking semi-colon! That's all that was wrong this whole time! now I have a sweet 50's station with a news bulletin about the possibility of the apocalypse from a recent find. this kicks ass.

haha, malfunctioning code is almost always some silly mistake like that. :)

making a megawad/mod that is primarily all hell levels is actually pretty fun! I haven't done this before, I just made weird ones. Now I'm going more with the masses of the doom community on this one I hope. I'll work on all 30 or so hell levels while finishing the beginning (selling point to a non-sellable game) level. This will take more time because I'm stuck on how to do things. I can't find good textures so I made my own but there's too much black. I'll probably have to alpha layer the same color over the top at 50% to make it gray. Making a drive-in with cars will probably be the hardest part. Since the town's evacuated I don't have to worry about people or sprite replacements of any kind, I'll just find old 1950's billboard ads. rotary phones blended into the walls. the restaurant should be easy, just checkerboard floor tile and tables.

I'll probably be asking a lot, like how to put space under each table in a sector-over-sector fashion since I haven't done that. when I do get the first level done I'll post it to DW forums not /incoming because I'll need some hardass criticism so I can sulk in it for a while then get back to work lol

If anyone has ideas they've been wanting to use for hell but don't want to make a whole megawad, I'll totally collaborate! I'm putting a lot of time into this one. Probably a year in the background while doing other stuff. I'll keep going until I get it right this time.

As I'm sure its been done before, I'm naming the levels after dante's inferno sections. there's like 28 of them then some secret ending stuff. The levels won't be dante's inferno to a T, since most of that stuff would be impossible for someone with the little experience I have, they'll just share names with a lot of the places. I'm starting the river acheron as I'm writing this.

Oh yeah, question time, are there people in the DW community that spend time DETAILING and just that? like taking people's shitty wads who can't detail that well and making them look like official doom levels? I do have some detail I'm just doing a mod by myself and can't seem to make things look as well as I had wanted.

I realize I should probably start a new thread, but I already have two going at the same time in seperate areas. so I'll just ask here, since its one of those "in the dark" people search questions from my part that would probably take a more active member 2 seconds to answer. I'm not really in the know of who does what or if people actually do this.

If you're an inexperienced mapper, then I wouldn't advise you to make a 30-or-so level megawad. Start small. Do single-map projects to hone your skills first before taking on the big one, that is the megawad.

quite honestly I've made megawads before in the 90s, they just sucked. lol

they're all the same theme and I want to try different things with levels I've planned. I'll do 8 first with seperate mp3 music pack (since thats what I really want to show off) but I'm working on map01 all throughout. THAT is the challenge. a partial conversion.

that is a good idea though... map01 can be released publically with the two music files it takes just to see what people think, if its a nogo or a work harder or i'm fine situation