Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Your ideal official Doom remake?

How should an official Doom remake be?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How should an official Doom remake be?

• Just a minor official update of vanilla Doom is fine, like a better Doom95 or XBLA Doom.
    • A Boom-like enhanced source port. Close to vanilla but limit-removing "the way Boom did".
    • A very advanced source port a-la ZDoom or Eternity, but official.
    • It should use a modern 3D engine with all the frills that come with it.
    • It should stick to a classic software renderer, maybe with a few enhancements, but true to the original.
    • Compatible with standard IWADs/PWADs and maybe DEH patches
    • Competely redesigned (art and levels) to suit a modern engine, no need to bother with backwards compatibility at all.
    • It should use only the original Doom data (art & levels), with maybe optional hi-res graphics video & audio enhancements.
    • The engine or at least the actual gameplay should remain the same as vanilla Doom, perhaps with options such as freelook etc.
    • The gameplay and engine could be something totally new and different, as long as it plays good and it's not CoD ;-)

I'd rather have an equal emphasis on both gameplay and graphics to be honest, I feel balance is needed. :P

scifista42 said:

no horror-like atmosphere

But that's exactly what defines DOOM! If you remove that then it's not a DOOM remake at all, it becomes something else, like a Duke Nukem title or Blake Stone.

scifista42 said:

Easter Eggs reminding by-far-not-only-classic-Doom

It's interesting.
Easter eggs aren't as much game features as they are contracts between the player and the developer where it's all right to break the fourth wall and have a direct communication between the two. If they are done incorrectly, they prove to be much more damaging than rewarding and should be used with great care.

Horrendous examples of easter eggs gone wrong are; Placing highly profiled developers as avatars in Starcraft2, having a Dr. Carmack in the Doom movie or pretty much every attempt Crytek makes at it. Like placing their name and logo on everything in Crysis 2 (Naming the game Crysis is also stupid beyond reason).

Personally, I only think easter eggs work when the player actively seeks them (enabling cheats and finding romero) or when it takes an effort to find and is obviously placed in a secret area (Like the wolfenstein and commander keen easter eggs). Why? Because the choice to break the illusion should be the player's and not the developer.

Shaviro said:

Personally, I only think easter eggs work when the player actively seeks them (enabling cheats and finding romero) or when it takes an effort to find and is obviously placed in a secret area (Like the wolfenstein and commander keen easter eggs). Why? Because the choice to break the illusion should be the player's and not the developer.

Kinda why it annoys me when people refer to the final boss in Doom II as "Romero", as if it was what it was supposed to be "canonically" rather than just a little joke.

Gez said:

Kinda why it annoys me when people refer to the final boss in Doom II as "Romero", as if it was what it was supposed to be "canonically" rather than just a little joke.

I second this.

Gez said:

I get even more annoyed when people say that it's "the head of Jesus", and when they accuse the spriter who made it of being a "Satanist".
Some folks are just so dumb.

188DarkRevived said:

I get even more annoyed when people say that it's "the head of Jesus", and when they accuse the spriter who made it of being a "Satanist".
Some folks are just so dumb.

Try proposing them my "Archviles are evil clones of Jesus" theory, then. They resurrect, their hands become red and develop stigmata etc.

Also, Doomguy died for our sins:

I was torn between "Compatible with standard IWADs/PWADs and maybe DEH patches" and "Just a minor official update of vanilla Doom is fine, like a better Doom95 or XBLA Doom." because I don't see the difference besides maybe the DEH part, but I ended with choosing "Just a minor official update of vanilla Doom is fine, like a better Doom95 or XBLA Doom."

Any official re-release should make Vanilla-compat-PWAD and tic for tic compatibility their highest priority (E.G. PRBoom+, Choco Doom) before enhancing anything, and those enhancements shouldn't effect that compatibility. For example, Boom-like physics would be unacceptable because it brakes Vanilla's demo compatibility but increasing the visplanes, save game size limit, and other aspect of the game that would have a benign impact on Vanilla compatibility would be just fine. Minor graphical enhancements are also fine but it should be less "radical" (couldn't think of a word) than Open GL; the versions of Ultimate Doom and Doom II that comes with the BFG edition of Doom 3 is a good example of what I'd consider an appropriate degree of graphical enhancement. It looks less "clunky" (again, can't think of a better word) and feels more smooth despite having the same 35 frames-per-second frame rate. It's important to note that I'm not referring to the lack of crosses on certain items or the horrendous changes made to map 31 or 32.

As for sound, I think increasing the game's sound from 2 channels to full 5.1 surround sound would be fine as well as possibly increasing the number of FX than can be played simultaneously. I say possibly because this would change Deathmatch strategy, as the silenced BFG would no longer be an available trick.