Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exl

WhackEd 4

I've found another bug. In Boom mode, the code pointers for playing the Super Shotgun's reload sounds are OpenShotgun2 and LoadShotgun2, where WhackEd4 fills them in instead as just OpenShotgun and LoadShotgun. CloseShotgun2 is already correct. This causes PRBoom to crash and ZDoom gives console warnings.

WildWeasel said:

I've found another bug. In Boom mode, the code pointers for playing the Super Shotgun's reload sounds are OpenShotgun2 and LoadShotgun2, where WhackEd4 fills them in instead as just OpenShotgun and LoadShotgun. CloseShotgun2 is already correct. This causes PRBoom to crash and ZDoom gives console warnings.

Another ancient bug, but fortunately user can fix it himself.

Wow that website is RED! I think I'm seeing everything else in cyan now. But still a very nice tool exl!

WildWeasel said:

Fixed, thanks.

WildWeasel said:

Wow that website is RED! I think I'm seeing everything else in cyan now. But still a very nice tool exl!

It does that on non-colormanaged wide gamut displays. I should probably make it less retina burning...

I'm trying to open a DEH or a BEX (a fairly big one) but nothing happens… On first attempt it asks me for the IWAD and PWAD. But after I do that all buttons remain grey as if an exception happened in the background and halted the file-open process…

I'm running Windows 7 under virtualization. I'll say more after I test it under native Windows 8. All 64-bit.

EDIT: now I tried it under native Windows 8. Funny, now I get a "WhackEd4 fatal error" message box with this text:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "whacked4\whacked4\ui\dialogs\startdialog.py", line 43, in open_file
  File "whacked4\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 174, in open_file_dialog
  File "whacked4\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 225, in open_file
  File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\patch.py", line 634, in read_dehacked
  File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\entry.py", line 77, in set_patch_key
  File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\filters.py", line 37, in filter_thing_flags_read
LookupError: Cannot find thing flag BOUNCES
and quits. It happened because I forgot to set the game mode to MBF, and kept it BOOM.

Now I tried it as MBF and got this:
  File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\patch.py", line 634, in read_dehacked
  File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\entry.py", line 77, in set_patch_key
  File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\filters.py", line 37, in filter_thing_flags_read
LookupError: Cannot find thing flag UNUSED1
I used Boom's UNUSED1 instead of MBF's TRANSLATE2 (or TRANSLATION2, don't remember). They're interchangeable for the game.

I'm using the mnemonics of MBF extras from my signature, by the way (large part of it was done by entryway BTW). Are they the same with what Whacked4 is using?

printz said:

I'm trying to open a DEH or a BEX (a fairly big one) but nothing happens… On first attempt it asks me for the IWAD and PWAD. But after I do that all buttons remain grey as if an exception happened in the background and halted the file-open process…

Ok, I reworked thing flag handling a bit to support multiple flag names. Does this build fix the problem?

7zip: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-1.0.1.7z
Setup exe: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-setup-1.0.1.exe

I also came across something else I've probably missed; MBF defines some things with the TRANSLUCENT flag, but these flags are not present in WhackEd4's engine config files. Does it make sense to add those?

Testing it now...

Well I'm still getting an error. I guess it's best that I PM you the patch.

File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\patch.py", line 623, in read_dehacked
  File "whacked4\whacked4\dehacked\table.py", line 55, in __getitem__
IndexError: list index out of range
Why I'm getting the error may be because I'm using state values larger than available in Boom. I'm using the states added by MBF, which are undocumented but work alright, and are officially used for the alpha Doom features. In my signature there's a MBF.TBL file compiled by entryway for Whacked2, which includes those MBF states.

TRANSLUCENT is a Boom flag. I'm sure it is since I saw it in BOOMDEH.TXT.

Thanks, now it works without crashes. I'd like another thing added: on things view, the index is not shown. But I need to know the index so I can use it with the MBF Spawn codepointer, as well as for quick lookup.

Useful would also be for the frame filter to take into account the RandomJump destination states (first argument, Unknown 1, is the target state).

EDIT: another problem. It doesn't parse pipe character separators (|). It thinks the file is corrupted. If I click 'no', I get wrong flags for the things which use | to separater flags.

WhackEd4 dislikes invalid/corrupted sprites (of which there are several in Astrostein) and crashes with the following error when one is highlighted in the States editor -

File "whacked4\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 799, in state_select
  File "whacked4\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 417, in update_properties
  File "whacked4\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 441, in update_sprite_preview
  File "whacked4\whacked4\ui\spritepreview.py", line 65, in show_sprite
  File "whacked4\whacked4\doom\wadlist.py", line 114, in get_sprite_image
  File "whacked4\whacked4\doom\graphics.py", line 105, in __init__
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\wx-2.9.4-msw\wx\_gdi.py", line 994, in BitmapFromBufferRGBA
RuntimeError: Failed to gain raw access to bitmap data.
Could that be replaced with a pop-up saying something along the lines of "Invalid data for sprite XXXXX"?

This is really cool, but I have a couple of questions.

1) What's the difference between MBF and MBF(doom beta) ?
I selected MBF and I do have the FireOldBFG frames available for use.

2) Why do some frames have red background? For example when using the Unused filter.

3) Why isn't the page pointing to 1.0.5 but to 1.0.4? Even though the actual 1.0.5 installer is on the server. I got it by changing the link.

1. That seems to be a bug, only the beta variant should have the beta states.
2. States are tinted red in alternating fashion based on the sprite the state has. This makes it easier to see all states that have the same sprite set.
3. 1.0.5 isn't really done yet, so expect bugs and such.

I did a text comparison and it seems only two lines are different. In the "actions" table there are these two in the MBF-beta preset:

96 "FireOldBFG": "Fire the beta-style BFG.",
97 "BetaSkullAttack": "Perform the beta Lost Soul attack."

Maybe you should just keep a single MBF preset, since all source ports that support MBF extensions support these two actions as well, don't they?

Can you also make the States filter list update itself after the player renames something? Because now it keeps showing the old thing names until it reloads the file.

I'll add that (and the MBF table thing) to the list, thanks.

Thanks. Maybe you can make it so that when the States button is pressed, the currently selected item in Things (if any) is used for a filter.

Also, why aren't the dropdown lists alphabetically ordered? It's hard to find things sometimes.

If you click a state in the things editor, a thing filter will be applied already. I'm also not sure applying a filter when just displaying the states editor makes sense, since you cannot infer what the user wants to do when they open up the states editor.

Alphabetical sorting of the things list (as well as states filter list) is on my to-do list already.

If I have for example the Demon monster selected in the Things, then pressing the States button should open up on that monster's states, right?

Just click on one of the Demon's state names in the Things dialog, and the States dialog will pop up with that specific state selected, as well as a Thing filter set for the Demon.

I stumbled into a problem, I used 58 to spawn a Blursphere but prboom and zdoom spawned a berserk pack. Is Whacked's thing index list off by one?

Another example: Here it says the Cyberdemon is 22, in Whacked it's 21:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Magic_numbers

But in Whacked, the Player's index number is 0, not 1!! :-D

Oh, apparently that's a change I made a while back in my current unreleased version. Nevermind that then! :) It'll show up in the next release, whenever that is.

exl said:

Oh, apparently that's a change I made a while back in my current unreleased version. Nevermind that then! :) It'll show up in the next release, whenever that is.

Oh, ok, I'll just be adding 1 to the indexes in the meantime.

If you want an active tester PM me the WIP version please :-D

It's halfway between some large changes, and I don't know when I'll get around to finishing them. But I will keep you in mind, thanks!

When there is no newline at the end of a file then Whacked throws an error because it doesn't read the last character correctly. In my case it threw an error about unknown "SOLI" although the file ended with the word "SOLID", so it's a Whacked bug.

(The source ports had no problem with the specific file.)