Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Risen3D - 2 questions

1.Is it possible to turn off texture Filtering in Risen 3D in order to get the pixelated version? Didn't find anything.

2. I turned off 3D models. But the gibs still remain as 3D models. Does anyone know how to turn them off?

Thank you ; )

Doohnibor said:

1.Is it possible to turn off texture Filtering in Risen 3D in order to get the pixelated version? Didn't find anything.

No.

Doohnibor said:

2. I turned off 3D models. But the gibs still remain as 3D models. Does anyone know how to turn them off?

Yes. Check Core Effects under Disable Model Group. One could argue though that gibs should not be a Core Effect ...

hawkwind said:

Yes. Check Core Effects under Disable Model Group. One could argue though that gibs should not be a Core Effect ...

I thought I have done that already...
Could you please be a little more specific? Where exactly do you mean?

CoreEffects.ded? I guess the one in question is the Squish.dmd.
I also have tried to just delete it... the then risen throwed an error at me.

Another thing... is there a modern port that has dynamic light effects and maybe shadows? but at the same time allows to switch off the filtering?

In case of a no... do you know how to turn off the effect in ZDoom where enemies "throw" their weapon or clips when they die? I can't play it cause I think that effect looks so dumb ; )

Doohnibor said:

Another thing... is there a modern port that has dynamic light effects and maybe shadows? but at the same time allows to switch off the filtering?

Two such ports are Doomsday and GZDoom.

Risen3D is based off an older version of Doomsday. Doomsday has since added options to turn off the filtering.

Doohnibor said:In case of a no... do you know how to turn off the effect in ZDoom where enemies "throw" their weapon or clips when they die? I can't play it cause I think that effect looks so dumb ; ) [/B]

An option to disable this should be in the compatibilities menu.

Vermil said:

Doomsday has since added options to turn off the filtering.

Thank you... I will take a look at the current state of Doomsday. Last time I checked it was a complete mess (after it was taken over). But that was many years ago... ; )
I actually used the OLD Doomsday for many years... but eventually switched to Risen because it fixed the render errors (bridges and such)

EDIT:
just got the latest Doomsday build and searched for a way to turn off the filtering. I guess Graphics>Textures>Mipmapping filter are the settings that should do it... but whatever setting I choose it still has the smeary look. any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Doomsday was never 'taken over'; it's currently at the tail end of an 8+ year rewrite. Support for rendering hacks has yet to be restored following the rewrite though (well 99.9% of them).

You may also have to disable bilinear filtering, smart texture filtering and anisotropic filtering.

These are also on the textures tab.

GREAT! I finally got it : ) It was the bilinear filtering - as you said.

Actually I thought Jaakko Keranen stopped working on Doomsday long time ago and someone else continued the project. Don't remeber where I got that info from but it's nice to hear it's not true.
Anyhow, since you said that rendering hacks is still something that needs to be worked on I guess I might end up using GZdoom - for now. Lack of correctly displaying render hacks was the only reason I stopped using Jdoom since it was used more and more in newer wads.

Thanks again for the info!

Doohnibor said:

I thought I have done that already...
Could you please be a little more specific? Where exactly do you mean?

Fire up the launcher, then Models tab, then under the Disable Model Group, tick both All Models and Core effects.

BTW the next Risen3D release will not have gib models as core effects, so thanks for mentioning.

UPDATE ...

Here is a temporary fix for this.

Instructions included.

UPDATE 2 ...

If you have downloaded please download again. I omitted to include the fix for chiv's and sitters models.

hawkwind said:

Here is a temporary fix for this.

Instructions included.

First of all... Thanks A LOT! I just downloaded the file, made a quick test... and everything worked as expected!

In the mean time I had done a little hotfix by myself. I prepared a pwad with only the gib animation sprites and it did override the 3D models... but this method just became obsolete since your fix is much more convenient.

I have had some customized entries in the CoreEffects.ded because I was using modified sprites for the bfg, plasma and some others... those were overwritten by the fix (I made a backup before I patched it)

While I was testing it right now I noticed a small graphics problem which I haven't seen before. It's not a huge thing but I'll mention it anyhow. When you gib a monster in front of a bright wall or floor, you cannot see the bloodsplats through the transparent areas of the gib sprite.

Now there would be just one thing left to make Risen3D the PERFECT port for me. It's actually the first question that I have asked in this thread. You said it is not possible to switch off the filtering. Is it because there's just no cvar or switch built in or is it technically impossible? I was able to switch it off in gzdoom... but if it's possbible I'd like to stick with Risen since I played it since many years. I like it VERY much and also the launcher is the best and most convenient of all I have seen.

Do you think switching off the filtering will be featured in an upcoming version? I would also be very glad for any kind of quick hack or patch since it's the only reason that's keeping me from building my personal "best of doom" collection ; )

Thanks for reading and thank you again for the gib fix!!

Doohnibor said:

While I was testing it right now I noticed a small graphics problem which I haven't seen before. It's not a huge thing but I'll mention it anyhow. When you gib a monster in front of a bright wall or floor, you cannot see the bloodsplats through the transparent areas of the gib sprite.

You could email Abbs about this.

Doohnibor said:

Now there would be just one thing left to make Risen3D the PERFECT port for me. It's actually the first question that I have asked in this thread. You said it is not possible to switch off the filtering. Is it because there's just no cvar or switch built in or is it technically impossible?

Filtering didn't make much, if any, difference in Doomsday178, of which Risen3D is based. Earlier versions of Risen3D had it, but like Doomsday, made little if no difference, and as such, it was removed from Risen3D. I HIGHLY doubt there will be a pixellated version of Risen3D.