Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Evolution

ZDaemon Solo Speedrun League

Hey all, I'd like to drop an idea with you, hoping for feedback on what's good; what's bad; what could be better. Because with the upcoming ZD release, we'll be looking forward to give you something to look forward to. The idea:

• We have a couple of passworded* servers with server-side demo recording and map voting enabled; and with a link to a site where demos automatically get uploaded to after a map ends/resets.
  • One map per week. Player limit is 1, spectators are free to watch. Any player can enter this server and have a go at any time through the week from Sunday 1st @ 00:00 UTC to monday 7th @ 11:30 UTC.
  • We host a short wad found in the depths of idgames that we normally wouldn't run for TNS for whatever reason. We assess the wad and try pick a map we feel will be very interesting to speedrun.
  • Players could join the league at any time if they wish. They don't have to play every week either. A single season would last perhaps 3-6 months. Perhaps it could be reset yearly (old seasons get archived, of course).
  • They have ONE shot on our difficulty brand (OS). They must:
    1) Stay alive
    2) Kill all monsters (excluding souls)
    3) Get 100% secrets
    3) Finish level in the quickest possible time
    4) Post their time and screenshot in forums after completion
  • Then they post their time/damage and include a screenshot in the ZD TNS/Leagues sub-forum to say they've completed or failed their run.
  • We view the demos from where they get stored (for example, here)and confirm that there is only one legit attempt by the player.
  • We would use a ladder and points system similar to Formula 1. Ranking is judged time to finish a map, fastest time giving most points. Damage collection would be just for some fun stats, of course!
*Servers will have a password to play. Anybody can spectate. We would give out a password for anybody who shows interest in le forums.

So yeah, thoughts?
---

Edit: Included 100% Secrets (UV MAX). We could maybe do different categories as well.

Edit again: Forgot to mention that we'd of course use a wad (that harnesses the awesome power of PATCHINF) to remove all multi-player things.

Another edit: I assumed that you would all assume that we would use OS settings. Well, I better confirm this: Yes we most certainly would. :)

Yet another edit: It might be better to allow multiple runs...

I suppose that having to play online (i.e. with lag) is a huge turn off for most people around here. It feels really uncomfortable compared to playing offline and stuff like killing cybers in 2 BFG shots becomes extremely unreliable. Also there are very few players who use ZDoom-based engines for demo recording nowadays, especially for the wads that work perfectly fine in doom2.exe or prboom-plus. So... good luck with getting responses I guess. :p

1.09 Netcode makes it feel just like SP. You fear some real competition, come on. :)

As for mentioning ZDoom-based ports: ZDaemon is extremely close to vanilla.

this is a weird idea, but... why not, heh.

memfis:
- 99% of the lag issues will be always tied to PVP... monsters just move too slow to factor into that. playing on a continental server should be fine with advanced unlagged.
- demorecorders here at DWF hate zdoom because it's not backwards compatible, so demos get broken with every new zdoom release. zdaemon is fixed at zdoom 1.23 and keeps backward compatibility.