Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

Yeah I think the maps should have single-player gameplay. Though if you're set on making a multiplayer-only map I wouldn't be against including it in the map33+ slots.

oy vey, you have a demo for this one? I repeatedly got owned by cybs trying to explore. Only found the ssg secret so far (not familiar with the quake map), I have a feeling they're mandatory.

ahh, so that's how it works!

Lighting and everything looks great, I'm tempted to checkout the original map to see how faithful your layout is

Defo try Quake, it's hella cool. :)
I used Quark to view the Quake map, so the basic layout is almost identical, but there are no 3d floors and the lighting is different, plus a couple other things. The only place I tried to mimic the in-game lighting was in the room after the blue door.

Great map, the layout is about as faithful to the layout as the doom engine allows. Also monster usage has a strict formula too. (grunt = revenant, ogre = cyber, scrag = pain elemental and knight/fiend = archvile).
Love how you are about to exit and then the level literally floods with small enemies and archies. Nice touch to say yep you played a doom version of a quake level, now bfg the crap out of about 700 hundred monsters :P

TOD: would be cool if you made some comparison pictures (like how you did with your Zelda and Silent Hill remakes). :)

I fancy submitting a map once I've completed my submission for the Monochrome Mapping Project. I do have a couple of quick questions though.

I assume that a Slaughter Map has a massive amount of enemies??
I currently do all my maps for ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) and I am clueless as to what 'Boom compatible' is, would anyone care to explain please?
Sky Transfers - I edit the 'mapinfo / zmapinfo' lump to change my sky texture, is this the same thing??

Sorry if these are daft questions :)

Dave

Interesting tod map and entertaining demo that probably makes it look easier than it is like usual. Looks like it might take some doombuilder studying to figure out a route and stuff. End horde spawn reminds me of your entryway remake ending, which was awesome with that piano and changing music.

At first I thought you'd have to essentially dodge and navigate the enemies until you killed all keens, which would then open the bfg. Not sure if enough maneuverability for that in this case but I remember particularly liking when obhack maps fed you the big guns and ammos toward tricky hard to get end parts.

To make boom maps in doombuilder, just choose "boom" instead of "doom in hexen". For this, to do more interesting actions and stuff you typically need dummy player(1)s in "move floor scroll things" dummy hallways blocked by ceiling poles stuck in their heads. Have a switch raise the ceiling pole etc, so they can scroll over as many linedefs at a time as you want.
for boom sky transfers, tag a sector and give it ceiling of f_sky1. Make a dummy 1 sided line box outside map (or maybe it can just be 1 line). Pick one of its lines, give it the upper texture of the sky u want (even though its 1 sided), action 271, and same tag as sector. (should work, didn't test right now)

Thanks gggmork.

So mapping for Boom/PRB+ I'd need to use conveyor tricks and such like.... hmmmmmm... Not used them for awhile as i do like controlled scripting with ACS. I'll need to have a ponder and a fiddle once I'm done with my Monochromatic Map.

Dave

I've started fixing firestarter, by that I mean I've deleted everything except the start room. Going to make something completely different to maps I usually make. Hopefully it will go well.

Here's how I started playing after like 20 attempts (but red door part was fda so naturally died immediately).
http://filesmelt.com/dl/gutbuster-ggg.lmp
I only iddqd'd the other parts since that demo and like it. Has a unique feel.
Can see some rocket boxes etc down in holes like clipping under the floor or something in prboom+. Probably just make really low like -2048. And the stairs on sides of walkway at beginning can kinda snag you. Maybe because each step is "steppable" (<24), but if you go fast enough maybe doomguy tries to do 2 steps at once which might not be steppable. I don't know, try running up/down at odd angles and see if you get snagged every once in awhile.

here's another fda. I died after clearing the RK room and not really knowing where to go next.

idk, there are a lot of bottlenecks that really slow down the gameplay. it seems as though a majority of the map is narrow hallways packed with tedious-to-clear-out enemies, most notably the hk ledge and demon swarms, and later caco/imps en route to the BK. The RK room is a bit strange, because the enemies won't spawn if you don't kill the barons/revs on the platforms, also the entire room could be easily skipped, maybe add a G1 switch and change the tele locations?

I moved back/forth in a "C" motion on the waterfall side, killing imps/former humans first.

Gut Buster V2. I opened up a few areas and added a few windows to make it easier in places. I also removed some monsters that seemed tedious, unfortunately making it easier in single-player. However, I added tons of monsters for multiplayer.

I have never realized a slaugthermap, but the session on zdaemon for SlaugtherFest 2012 tempted me to realize an immense map... I began my map yesterday.

fda for gutbuster2, didnt see the map/demos before, so never knew what to do and where to go. The whole run ended up being a close call and it took me 31min or so to beat the map (but i did!1). I still think demo is worth watching in fastforward just for lulz.
I didnt get the point of cybs and of how to use them, they just seem tedious and pointless. Is causing them to infight even worth it? Kinda hard to do too, maybe i'm missing something out. Also the cave-ish area with the blue key seemed a bit irrelevant, can't speed up it much and it's not difficult/slaugherish. Quite awesome part, but doesnt fit to this map maybe?
Now that i know the map, there are obvious solutions for few areas, and most are fine. Viles are great in that room with a spider imo, but the trap with red key could be much more fun if it had more stuff in it, and maybe 2 viles on diff sides instead of 1.
http://kopasite.net/up/6rgzhj33buf5l3i/gutbuster2abyrfda.lmp

cool map ggg, here's an fda, I played keyboard only (too lazy to move my laptop to a desk), got 2 keys, killed 2.5k enemies before dying. Had I played less horribly I'm confident I would've had sufficient resources to kill the last 300 monsters. Map looks good too, I like the slimefall sky heh

What do you all look for in a Slaughtermap? I've read a lot of the 2011/2012 threads and had a poke around with a few maps. The overriding feeling i get is massive amounts of enemies and thus quite an extreme difficulty.

What do you like in your maps? Open arenas? Wide spaces? Nasty traps? A relentless onslaught? I could use some suggestions on what you think defines a slaughtermap.

Thanks,

Dave