Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I didn't realize till recently that in DOOM you can use sprites to run across and reach platforms that would otherwise be unreachable.

And I've been playing DOOM since it's Shareware days. How sad is that?

I dunno, sounds more like a source-port thing to me... most (if not all) Things that you could collide with in vanilla Doom were considered infinitely tall for the purposes of Thing->Thing collision detection, so trying to run on them would cause you to bump into them instead, even if you were well above or below them. (Correct me if I'm wrong; I'd rather not be spreading misinformation.)

Yes, decorations like lamps and such.

I have not ran the original DOOM engine in forever, I believe I discovered this while playing PrBOOM on my DSi if memory serves correctly, that or Odamex maybe.

That Mancubi have the same asthmatic breathing sound when lurking as the zombie hitscanners.

Cell said:

That Mancubi have the same asthmatic breathing sound when lurking as the zombie hitscanners.

I've had a few moments where I came around a corner expecting a zombie, but got a wall of fat instead.

Platinum Shell said:

I've had a few moments where I came around a corner expecting a zombie, but got a wall of fat instead.

This actually caught my attention whilst playing 1Monster MAP16.

I had NO idea that different armors gave different protection.
You can't see which one you have anyways.

I also never thought about what armor actually did but I guess I know now. 33-50% damage reduction?

By the way something I've always wondered is how much damage each weapon does and how much health each monster really has. Anyone knows?

Monster health is something you list for pretty much any kind of game along with all sorts of other statistics like attack damage, attack speed and the player's weapon damage, weapon speed and so on but for Doom I've never seen ANY of these stats except for in one of the official guides which list the number of shots with different weapons required to kill different monsters.

And what's the actual difference between difficulties? I always thought it changed monster health and damage but I can see clearly now that monsters always take about the same amount of hits. The Doomwiki only lists that you get more ammo on ITYTD and Nightmare, the amount of monsters changes on easy, medium or hard and monsters are fast and respawn on Nightmare.

There's quite a lot of stuff I wonder when I think about it really.

That wiki is not 100% correct though, for example it says that revenant punch deals 8-64 damage but I've seen 6 damage punch.

Memfis said:

That wiki is not 100% correct though, for example it says that revenant punch deals 8-64 damage but I've seen 6 damage punch.

Is that with or without armour? I think the wiki uses base damage.

Memfis said:

Yeah, errors are possible. According to p_enemy.c, the damage is 6-60:

void A_SkelFist (mobj_t*	actor)
{
    int		damage;

if (!actor->target)
	return;

A_FaceTarget (actor);

if (P_CheckMeleeRange (actor))
    {
	damage = ((P_Random()%10)+1)*6;
	S_StartSound (actor, sfx_skepch);
	P_DamageMobj (actor->target, actor, actor, damage);
    }
}

Gez said:

Amusingly, the chart used the correct values (6-60).

I believe the tables below the chart need verifying. It states that a normal missile will take a maximum of 5 hits to kill a player with 100% and no armour. However it also states that it requires 6 guiding missiles, yet the two missiles do the same damage.

DoomCollector said:

By the way something I've always wondered is (...) how much health each monster really has.

Zombieman: 20
Sergeant: 30
Wolfenstein SS: 50
Imp: 60
Chaingunner: 70
Lost Soul: 100
Pinky Demon & Spectre: 150
Commander Keen: 200?
Boss head: ~250
Revenant: 300
Cacodemon & Pain Elemental: 400
Hell Knight & Arachnotron: 500
Mancubus: 600
Arch-vile: 700
Baron of Hell: 1000
Spider Mastermind: 3000
Cyberdemon: 4000

It wasn't until I started using Doom Builder (2 years ago) that I learned where exactly was the trigger to open the door to the secret room in Deimos lab with a lot of pinkies and a soulsphere inside.

Fernito said:

It wasn't until I started using Doom Builder (2 years ago) that I learned where exactly was the trigger to open the door to the secret room in Deimos lab with a lot of pinkies and a soulsphere inside.

That was actually stupidly "obscure". The other thing was how to get rid of those pipe bars on the hexagonal storey... the answer is: "Try to fuck the skulled red pillar!"

Cell said:

That was actually stupidly "obscure". The other thing was how to get rid of those pipe bars on the hexagonal storey... the answer is: "Try to fuck the skulled red pillar!"

LOL! Actually, as odd as it may sound, I discovered that secret the first time I played the map **

Cell said:

Yeah. At first I thought you just had to stand there long enough and fuck around but now I think it has something to do with touching the bars next to the skull.

schwerpunk said:

See also: The RL secret in Doom 2 Map01. Although that one's a classic now, as I see it.

I could stand for an hour just trying to activate the door into the secret room for hours at every single conceivable angle and I was stubborn as hell about it thinking sooner or later there would be a glitch and the secret would trigger. I got to it ONCE somehow so I knew it was there but had no idea how to get in there. To this day I still don't know. The wiki says you're supposed to stand on some platform. I'll have to settle the score once and for all next time I play it. So stubborn.

When I think about playing Doom as a kid pretty much everything I remember is the first three levels of Doom II and specifically trying to get to the rocket launcher in the first level like crazy. Later in Doom II I also remember there's a room with a tower and there's a window into the room but since you can't jump there's no way to get in there and you have to teleport in there or something... I also sat for hours activating every single millimeter of wall trying to get in there. Before the internet.

DoomCollector said:

I could stand for an hour just trying to activate the door into the secret room for hours at every single conceivable angle and I was stubborn as hell about it thinking sooner or later there would be a glitch and the secret would trigger. I got to it ONCE somehow so I knew it was there but had no idea how to get in there. To this day I still don't know. The wiki says you're supposed to stand on some platform.

OFFTOPIC: Seriously, why the hell are my images ALWAYS some ridiculous filesize? It's a real pain in the ass.

By triggering, it actually means strafing down from the elevator and "flying" through above the light pedestal.

Eris Falling said:

OFFTOPIC: Seriously, why the hell are my images ALWAYS some ridiculous filesize? It's a real pain in the ass.

All about PNG, pal. Try get some good image converter. GIMP 2.6 does the job somewhat decently downgrading pngs to jpgs.
Somebody can still offer better solution. Mine's more like first aid.

Oh wait. E4M1 what does the western switch in the first gallery you come across do? It's the first switch in the level. The second one opens the way to the east part of the map but I have no idea what the first one does if anything.

Looks like a switch for multiplayer. Opens up the red key room from the outside if it gets locked.
I was checking it out and noticed a secret door I had never noticed before. The red key room has another way out and back onto the ledge.

Randy87 said:

Looks like a switch for multiplayer. Opens up the red key room from the outside if it gets locked.

If you're quick enough, you can get out of the room before it closes, and then you have to use that switch to get back in. So it's not just multiplayer.

Randy87 said:

Looks like a switch for multiplayer.

Well, the entire level structure looks like it's made for multiplayer. Since all the Barons can "skip" via teleporting from the darkened room, it's a nightmare badly realised to start off E4.