Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
theJF

Reverse Stairs

Gentlemen, I request your help and expertise:

The effect I want to create is for the floor of a long corridor to drop down but for steps/stairs to be left behind as the floor drops, so the player can climb out of the lowered sector. (I imagine this to be the opposite of the rising stairs that appear just before the exit in E1M3.)

Is this effect possible? I am using DB2 and want to be able to run the wad in Chocolate Doom. [oops - this should be in "Doom Editing"...]

[Update] In case any fellow noobs stumble across this, here's an example (E1M1).
http://www.solidfiles.com/d/48f06312d7/

It's certainly possible in Boom, since generalized stair builders are allowed to build downward instead of upward.

No idea about vanilla Doom, although I wouldn't be surprised if it were doable.

I'm not sure if this is possible in vanilla or not (I don't have it open in front of me), but I have done this Boom before. The action you want is one that will lower a floor relative to a ceiling height (so something like "Lower Floor to Lowest Ceiling"). If vanilla has an action like that, and I think it does, then it should be possible.

Now in order for this to work, you have to create some dummy sectors outside of the playing area. You create a separate sector for each sector that makes up your stairs. Next you need to draw a sector next to each dummy sector; this will represent the "lowest ceiling" and tell how low the stair needs to lower. So if you have 4 stairs and they need to lower into a set of 16px tall stairs, you'd set your ceiling heights to something like -16px, -32px, -48px, -64px (just as an example starting with a floor height of 0px).

Does that make any sense? I could throw together a quick test map for you if my terrible explanation doesn't help :P

Should be easy in vanilla too. You can use "floor lower to lowest floor" with dummy sectors for slow lowering stairs. For instant lowering stairs you can use the "stairs raise" actions or "floor raise to lowest ceiling" action with dummy sectors.

Thanks for the replies everyone! @Mechadon - your suggestion worked perfectly; exactly what I was looking for. Nice one.