Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomCollector

Collecting Doom

I remember when I saw JagDoom in a window; I wasn't particularly interested in the Jaguar itself or the other 9 games it was packed with, I just wanted that Doom cartridge; another version of the game to blast my way through while I was off work.

So, £20 later (I don't know what the guy was thinking to put that stupidly low price on such a thing), I had a second-hand Jaguar and a new way of playing Doom. Went home, set it all up, got through the first few maps to see how it handled (it was okay), then went out for the night.

Woke up the next day, decided to go through the entire game in one sitting, turned the Jag on and... *pop*

It fucking died on me, less than 24 hours after buying it. I did keep it though; it's now sitting uselessly in a box, Doom cartridge still inserted.

Alright, I've never been much of a collector of anything, but looking at all this stuff really makes me want a big ass Doom poster. Unfortunately all the "big ass" posters I can find say something to the effect of:

The poster is made up of 8 A3 sections

Does that mean I get a bunch of sheets of regular printer paper I have to tape together?

I got Final Doom in big box today. Bigger than I expected!

BaronOfStuff said:

I remember when I saw JagDoom in a window; I wasn't particularly interested in the Jaguar itself or the other 9 games it was packed with, I just wanted that Doom cartridge; another version of the game to blast my way through while I was off work.

So, £20 later (I don't know what the guy was thinking to put that stupidly low price on such a thing), I had a second-hand Jaguar and a new way of playing Doom. Went home, set it all up, got through the first few maps to see how it handled (it was okay), then went out for the night.

Woke up the next day, decided to go through the entire game in one sitting, turned the Jag on and... *pop*

It fucking died on me, less than 24 hours after buying it. I did keep it though; it's now sitting uselessly in a box, Doom cartridge still inserted.

Aw! I do hear Jaguars have a tendency to break, don't they? AVGN bought two broken Jaguar CDs if I recall correctly. By the way Jaguars sell really, really cheaply on eBay... there's even one completely boxed apparently in very good condition bundled with Doom apparently also in very good condition and some other game for only £30...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Jaguar-64-bit-Boxed-with-2-Games-Doom-and-Rover-Strike-/170988302014?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item27cfb26ebe&_uhb=1
I should actually get it. Only the game in very good condition is going to cost me $24...

Edit: then again the only other jag game that interests me in the slightest is Alien versus Predator. Might as well emulate it and let someone else have the console.

qoncept said:

Alright, I've never been much of a collector of anything, but looking at all this stuff really makes me want a big ass Doom poster. Unfortunately all the "big ass" posters I can find say something to the effect of:

Does that mean I get a bunch of sheets of regular printer paper I have to tape together?

Psst! I bought mine here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150982402155
It's so big though... I haven't been able to get a frame yet. Awkward.
I don't know what they're saying about A4 but I'm guessing it's folded:
http://candlefly.co.uk/go/the-ultimate-doom-original-pc-game-poster/1.jpg

It is certainly not a waste of time doing something that rekindles nostalgia. Many others collect Doom games as well!

Here is my copy of Doom shareware:

http://tinypic.com/r/3151thc/7

Am I correct in assuming that this is the first physical release of Doom? GreyGhost mentioned that shareware Doom was first, so I'd like to verify this if possible.

fraggle said:

I find it interesting how people are so used to source port features now that they've forgotten a time before those features existed. I was amused when I got this bug report a few months back.

I know this comment's a bit old but I just saw it.

One of the most frequent and early complaints about Choco Strife has been the dialogue text not displaying when characters with a face picture are talking to you.

Folks, vanilla Strife didn't do that by default ;) You had to enable it by toggling the "message text" on using one of the function keys. ZDoom has everybody spoiled to the point they can't tell what the original correct behavior looks like.

zredgemz said:

hey does anyone know if there is a list(usa) of all the level addon packs and or shareware disc's?

Doomwiki.org
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Commercial_games
Scroll down to the unofficial ones if that's what you're looking for.
I don't know about shareware disks, haven't seen a list. There are sharewares for 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.5, 1.6, 1.666, 1.8 and 1.9 and maybe some others but I don't think all of them were offically sold.

miko508 said:

It is certainly not a waste of time doing something that rekindles nostalgia. Many others collect Doom games as well!

Here is my copy of Doom shareware:

http://tinypic.com/r/3151thc/7

Am I correct in assuming that this is the first physical release of Doom? GreyGhost mentioned that shareware Doom was first, so I'd like to verify this if possible.

I actually think so. You'd know if you opened the box and checked the version number ;)

I'm not certain that the inside of the box would be much help, either.

Here is what the disks inside the box look like:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/doom/cover-art/gameCoverId,194559

Also, here is a YouTube video that shows the inner contents of these early Doom shareware boxes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8S8SH8xCjk

Important Note: The VGA graded game I posted and the game in the YouTube video are different. I own two similar variations of early Doom shareware:

1) A small, thin box that was independent of other games (the one that's VGA graded)
2) A larger, thicker box that came bundled with other games (like the one in the YouTube video)

Are either of these versions the first physical Doom release? Thanks in advance for any input!

Unfortunately, the most reliable way of checking version numbers is by reading the disk directory. That info doesn't often find its way onto the label.

zredgemz said:

hey does anyone know if there is a list(usa) of all the level addon packs and or shareware disc's?

I don't know of a definitive list, but this guys collection probably comes close. The Doomwiki list barely scratches the surface.

this is what i was looking for thank you i knew the list had to be very large with everyone trying to cash in on doom and doom2.

Edit: now i have to locate and buy this stuff.

Oh man, Doom just went for 160£!
I was gonna pay 66£ with shipping for starters then I went up to my max 77£ with 20 seconds to go... then all hell broke loose!

It's nice to be outbid by so much though. Now I can calmly wait for the next one instead of being beat by a pound and always wondering what their maximum bid was.

I've also been trying to collect Doom stuff for a little while. My little collection includes at the moment:

Doom II PC
Final Doom PC
The Depths of Doom Trilogy
Doom Collector's Edition 2003
Doom 3 PC
Doom Film
Resurrection of Evil PC
Doom 3 BFG Edition PC

Next, I will probably buy Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Hexen and some Doom books when I can afford it.

I haven't been deliberately collecting Doom related stuff as such but, over the years, I have gained a little collection anyway:

Doom Registered (on 3.5" floppies Boxed (1.1 or 1.2 - I forget))
Ultimate Doom (CD Boxed)
DoomII (3.5" floppies Boxed)
Final Doom (CDs Boxed)
Doom Collector's edition (CDs DVD-style case)
id Anthology (big box + various goodies)

Heretic (CD Boxed)
Hexen (CD Boxed)
Hexen (CD Boxed Replay Edition (thought I'd lost my old one and bought this))
Strife (CD Boxed)

PSX Doom
PSX Final Doom

Doom3 x2 (one came as part of a bundle of 2nd hand game I bought)
Doom3: Resurrection of Evil

Doom Movie

Plus, of course, loosely related stuff like further Heretic/Hexen games, Wolfenstein engined stuff, Quake stuff and so on.

i have bought a few more doom related items and ill wait till i get my last 2 packages then post a picture of what i have found so far.

PC:
Ultimate Doom
Lost Episodes of Doom
Doom II
Master Levels for Doom II
Final Doom
Doom Collectors' Edition
Doom 3
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
Doom 3 BFG Edition

Console:
32x Doom
SNES Doom
Playstation Doom
Playstation Final Doom
Saturn Doom
Doom 64
XBox Doom 3 Collectors Edition
XBox Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
PS3 Doom 3 BFG Edition
PS3 Doom Classic Complete
XBLA Ultimate Doom
XBLA Doom II

Doom Movie

... and a pile of other (non-Doom) id stuff.

DoomCollector said:

What's a good price to pay for registered Doom? >_<

Oh man, Doom just went for 160£!

A "good price" and what the winning bidder ends up paying are sometimes poles apart. Common sense is often the first casualty in a bidding war.

http://imgur.com/qfUOgYr i ended up buying two copys of doom shareware made by gold medallion software one of which looks different and i checked the contents of both cd's, Cd 1 is the first one i ordered http://imgur.com/YLycjkWSW version is 1.666, Cd2 http://imgur.com/eoeM5Uu is the replacement one i ordered(first one was lost at usps for almost a month)and its version is 1.2. so i guess my question is is either one of these fake or just one of these a updated version of the same cd.

P.S the cds are not painted the same plus the inter ring has different text, cd1 #0474#cassette prod ut(800)622-6036 c300271-1, cd2 DOOM 4/94 1RB5

zredgemz said:

so i guess my question is is either one of these fake or just one of these a updated version of the same cd.

Why fake something that's a guilt-free download? I'd be more surprised if they didn't update their CD, considering how popular Doom was at that time.

thanks i was just worried with all the fake video game related items i have been seeing over the past 2-3 years on the internet. atleast now i have 2 shareware copy's of doom.

I got Doom for the 3DO earlier this week actually.

It was HARD to get. Since January I've only seen about 5 and they've all been in average or worse condition. I've seen about as many registered Dooms as 3DO Dooms actually.

Anyways the guy who sent me it packaged it in a soft bubble-plastic envelope with no hard support and the box is completely squished... I paid a bit to get it, too. But I can't return it since it's literally the only one except for an even more expensive one in the States.

Only ones I'm searching for now are Doom 1.1/1.2, Master Levels Big Box (seen a few but they've been really expensive) and the Atari Jaguar one which I've seen several times but forgotten to bid, lost bidding or they would only ship within the UK and not to the rest of Europe.

Then I'll be up to 24 (27 with duplicates) and my collection will be complete enough. After that I only plan to keep an eye out for a couple of the games in better condition than mine... 3DO and Doom II GBA are worst. Doom GBA and SNES aren't great condition either so we'll see if I can't find them cheaply someplace sometime hopefully.

DoomCollector said:

I got Doom for the 3DO earlier this week actually.

It was HARD to get.

Managed to aquire 3do few years in factory sewaled condition for 20$, its little tatty because early 3do game boxes very made from soft cardboard

I've got myself a Doom Collection as well, here are some things that I have.

- Ultimate Doom
- Doom II
- Final Doom (Plutonia Experiment and Evilution)
- The Master Levels
- Doom 3 BFG Edition
- Heretic
- Hexen
- GBA Doom I and II

I've also got Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay by Wraith Software. I didn't know until a few days ago that they are very rare to come by nowadays. But I checked out Tom Mustaines website and I heard that somebody got permission to put Perditions Gate up on the internet for free. So you can get the game for free to try which I think is a great idea considering that you can't find a single copy to buy.