Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

My opinion on Quake (The first one)

I only found two or three of the cybernetics in Quake 2 goofy looking like the berserker and the one with the railgun weapon.

I've found that people are much more particular about polygonal entities in 'classic' (I wouldn't call Quake 'retro' just yet, lol) games, so this is mostly a matter of taste. True, sprites might age better because advances in sprite graphics haven't been quite as meteoric as advances in polygonal capacity, but I do think there's some good polygonal art to appreciate here.

IMO, Quake does a better job of communicating a unique and scary aesthetic for each enemy than - for instance - Gears of War did. Quake's enemies feel right at home in the levels that were created around them.

TimeOfDeath said:

Oh no you di'n't. :)

Oh I did. Quake is ugly, dreary and incredibly boring. The weapons are uninteresting, monsters are dull to fight and level design is poor as it tries to showcase the full 3D capabilities. I remember enjoying Malice way more than Quake, and even it wasn't that great.

Jodwin said:

Oh I did. Quake is ugly, dreary and incredibly boring. The weapons are uninteresting, monsters are dull to fight and level design is poor as it tries to showcase the full 3D capabilities. I remember enjoying Malice way more than Quake, and even it wasn't that great.

Agreed 100%. Something that doesn't get talked about a lot is what you mentioned how they overdo things trying to showcase the engine. Playing through it now, it's like "Oh, you fell off this ledge? Well have fun taking an hour to swim back to where you started from because WATER OMGZ!!!11". Yuck.

You never answered which id FPS you dislike more, though! :P

Mogul said:
The speedrunning community is still active on the Quake Speed Demos Archive (just google it).

The last update of the Quake section was more than a year ago, unless they moved elsewhere. That compares to the Doomed SDA, which updates every weekend.

schwerpunk said:

I wouldn't call Quake 'retro' just yet, lol

I would. Game's ooooooooooooooooold.

But then, a lot of my favorite games are ooooooooooooooooold, so I hardly hold that against it!

DoomUK said:

While I'd agree that Doom has aged better than Quake, I think it's a little harsh to qualify this kind of shortcoming as a negative.

Isn't a shortcoming a negative, pretty much by definition? :)

Seriously, I know I can't judge 1996 games by 2013 standards. And I know that it attests to John Carmack et al's talents that they managed to get a 3D texture-mapping engine running on DOS boxes of the day, with hardware acceleration either completely video-card-specific or completely nonexistent, and get any kind of performance out of it at all. Cutting corners was to be expected -- and yet, one can't deny that the corners were cut nonetheless. While Quake was a giant leap ahead of the competition in many ways, it was still a step back in a few.

So there. Nyaah!

myk said:

The last update of the Quake section was more than a year ago

As far as I know, they've not moved, but I felt sure that I'd seen Quake speedrun updates on the front page of the site in the last few months. It might be a case of taking mental inventory of something a long time ago, and then not updating it, and still holding onto an old notion even though it's out of date.