Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Badboy

Doom Racing Mod Byngu

kotaku and eurogamer wrote about a new crazy doom mod for the multiplayer doom port zandronum.

http://kotaku.com/5990094/an-ingenious-mod-turns-doom-2-into-twisted-metal
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-13-doom-2-mod-turns-fps-into-destruction-derby-sort-of

the modmaker Mr Fiat offers four classes of racing cars. see video.
http://youtu.be/ARc1flxpZ44

to play it, use the z serverbrowser doomseeker. go to view/serverfilter and write byngu to find an online server with the mod. mod will download automatically with entry on the server. maybe we see us tonite :)

It looks kinda dumb, and if they wanted to report on a Doom mod maybe they should picked something with a bit more umph too it, though the maps look nice.

kotaku is a nerd site, best in spreading rumors ;)

the questions is, what really great doom mods are around? im a bit new to the scene, i am a quaker :x

brutal mod was in the media, in full effect. cars are always beloved, a few years back a modder revived an old racing mod for quake 3 and people loved it. for me the mod looks crazy and funny.

the thing is, all those big gaming news sites like shacknews, bluesnews, eurogamer - which i all like - are seeking id stuff. because they like id software. even shack and blues started as id fansites i read. if you gave them something special they will write about it. i send them stuff in the past. easy going. feel free to do it yourself.

esselfortium said:

It's a pity that more press doesn't seem to ever go to Doom mods that are actually... um.... good?

I dunno. These kinds of mods get reported on because they are visibly different from Doom. Showing off a bit of what can be done and people are doing, rather than show off something like Saturn X for instance got a lot more potential to bring people in to look closer at what else the community got to offer. Risk of showing something like Saturn X which is a very high quality project, they will only see how pixelated it is and brush it off.

That's what my friends tend to do when they see someting from the Doom engine. And they even enjoy playing Doom in MP.

EDIT: My mistake, I should've seen the vid first, I actually expected a mod that did cars and not just replace the HUD with a steering wheel.

I think that was the first article I've read on Kotaku that wasn't focused on why the game industry is a tool of the patriarchy.

kristus said:

So what you're saying is that you don't ever read Kotaku.

Only if it ever pops up in a thread. I rarely read gaming news related sites these days. The last article I read on there was someone bitching becasue Sony hadn't made a conscious effort to represent women during the unveiling of the PS4 that made sensations, hence the jab.

EDIT: The footage of that wad made me cringe. There are Doom mods that had a million times more effort applied to them, but sadly it's these novelty wads that get mainstream attention.

Did Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch get any kind of recognition from the web?

Heh, yeah I don't defend Kotaku's honor or anything, cause I don't think they got any. ;)

Doubt it, aside from a screenshot or two on Zdoom forums this is the first I hear of it.

that sounds bitter from all of you. why? news are always good. doom in the news is always good. if someone try it out he might be ended up playing zandronum mp or other stuff.

and why did no one send a message about saturn x and Mega Man 8-bit to these sites? and why arent these both projects in the news HERE if they are prestige and important.

haha, would be great. mario kart rocks.

btw im coming from this single uk server, nobody is there...NO CAR FIGHTING AT ALL.

kristus said:

I dunno. These kinds of mods get reported on because they are visibly different from Doom. Showing off a bit of what can be done and people are doing, rather than show off something like Saturn X for instance got a lot more potential to bring people in to look closer at what else the community got to offer. Risk of showing something like Saturn X which is a very high quality project, they will only see how pixelated it is and brush it off.

That's what my friends tend to do when they see someting from the Doom engine. And they even enjoy playing Doom in MP.

EDIT: My mistake, I should've seen the vid first, I actually expected a mod that did cars and not just replace the HUD with a steering wheel.

I'm aware of all that, but as far as flashy modern ZDoom mods go... even as someone who doesn't seek them out at all, even I know there's far more polished and impressive stuff out there. Something like Kate's PokéDOOM, or the spells and combos system in Dimension 72 would be good examples of using ACS and custom resources to totally change Doom's gameplay into something novel.

Byngu, on the other hand, looks like it's only a few small steps above a cheap graphics replacement, and makes the capabilities of modern Doom modding look pretty pitiful.