Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archy

LMP ID3 metadata (I HAVE WAY TO MANY LMPS!)

As you can see...

...I have quite a few LMPs (and there's way more).

Considering the restrictions that the 8.3 file name format imposes on me, it is very hard to tell what WAD an LMP goes to, especially with Deathmatch WADs.

I was wondering if someone would be interested in making an ID3 equivalent for Doom that listed the fallowing:

AUTHOR:
TYPE:
CATEGORY:
MAP:
SKILL:
OPTIONS:
TIME:
WAD:
EXE:
Here's an example of what would be filled in:
AUTHOR: Archy,  Altima.
TYPE: COOP
CATEGORY: UV-FAST
MAP: E1M7
SKILL: 4
OPTIONS: -FAST
TIME: 3:11
WAD: DOOM.WAD Class_Ep.WAD
EXE: UDoom v1.9
Sadly, I've never played with Altima.

That's quite interesting actually. Imagine if a database existed with similar info on every demo ever recorded. You could search for any type of demos, like "all uv-fast FDAs under 20 minutes on Plutonia pwads that gggmork recorded using prboom-plus 2.5.1.3". Somewhat like DSDA but even more advanced. Obviously it would take a lot of time and dedication to create a database like that, but if you look at demo patterns for example... it seems quite doable.

Interesting idea. I'd add a DATE field showing the date the run was recorded, and in your WAD field it shouldn't be necessary to record which IWAD a PWAD run was recorded on - it's not like HR.WAD works on Ultimate Doom.

There's also how to uniquely identify demos - filename, length and maybe a checksum, that should do.

And then what would be really nice would be to have a tool like Clrmamepro where you could download a program, the most recent lmp database, point it at a folder on your disk and it'd scan for all the lmps it could find, then give you a browsable list of the metadata. And then launch demos by player, by year, etc.

Ryback said:

I'd add a DATE field showing the date the run was recorded...

I agree.

Ryback said:

...and in your WAD field it shouldn't be necessary to record which IWAD a PWAD run was recorded on - it's not like HR.WAD works on Ultimate Doom.

This would come in handy with "-file doom2.wad plutonia.wad" VS just plutonia.wad (complevel 2 VS 4).

Maybe another solution would be good?

Archy said:

This would come in handy with "-file doom2.wad plutonia.wad" VS just plutonia.wad (complevel 2 VS 4).

Maybe another solution would be good?

I reckon that'd be better distinguished by the executable, eg Doom 2 v1.9 vs Final Doom v1.9

Another thought, it'd be nice if there was some way to indicate whether the demo was part of a demo collection or not, eg that MM2-LV15.LMP by Anders Johnsen was also part of the MM2_3 Uv Demopack.

And another thought, you could also add a field to show where the demo was published, eg at Compet-N, DANG, DHT etc.