Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ufna

Doomstalker game announced

A new kickstarter has just surfaced and it's called Doomstalker. The game is an arcade psuedo-isometric Doom-inspired action shooter by UFNA for the iOS, PC and Mac, combining the best traditions of classic shooters.

You can see the teaser-trailer here: http://youtu.be/VTxo2shibAk

Jodwin said:

12k? That's suspiciously little money needed.

Indie developer with strict budget, it's ok. And extended goals up to ~40k.

That game is not isometric it's not even "pseudo-isometric" whatever that would even mean.

If you position the camera in Doom in a 45 degree angle and downward tilt, you would get what could be considered an pseudo-isometric perspective (at least by me). But a 3d engine with the camera in a 3rd person perspective doesn't mean that it's got anything to do with anything isometric.

kristus said:

That game is not isometric it's not even "pseudo-isometric" whatever that would even mean.

If you position the camera in Doom in a 45 degree angle and downward tilt, you would get what could be considered an pseudo-isometric perspective (at least by me). But a 3d engine with the camera in a 3rd person perspective doesn't mean that it's got anything to do with anything isometric.

Camera used in video is not real "play camera". Characters are small on the screen and it's bad for video/teaser (for my mind), so I've fitted it to show chars/battle. Maybe it was wrong decision, I don't know (my video creation skills are awful).

Few shots for example:
- Shot 1
- Shot 2
- Shot 3
- Shot 4
- Shot 5

45 degrees are not mandatory condition for pseudo-isometric camera. But, generally, its params will be polished a lot before release :)

It really doesn't make any difference. What you got there is not isometric 3d. Isometric is a specific way to render a 3d view. What you got is a regular 3d renderer doing a one point camera perspective.

What you can say is that your game is inspired by isometric old school games like Crusader or Syndicate or whichever game you may prefer. But what you got here is not anything that actually in and of itself got anything to do with an isometric perspective.

The game is not isometric, it's pseudo-isometric, which is a bit different class of the games :) F.e. example like Diablo 3.

Shouldn't something that is a false representation of something else, actually be able to be mistaken for the thing it's supposed to be a false representation of?

He meant that it doesn't even look like isometric, and since you say it's "false isometric", it should.

Scypek2 said:

He meant that it doesn't even look like isometric, and since you say it's "false isometric", it should.

Thanks. Generally it's just a params question. Today I'm using this default view: http://ds.ufna.ru/img/camera_1.jpg . The character is big, the FOV is big enougth to see monsters around, as result it looks good on iPhone/iPad.

The same FOV and angle, but larger distance: http://ds.ufna.ru/img/camera_2.jpg . And something "more isometrical" with less FOV - http://ds.ufna.ru/img/camera_3.jpg . I think it good for PC. Anyway, it can be configured in real time by player.

Camera is very important and it'll be polished a lot before game release to get the most comfortable view.

No thanks :-( I couldn't get art and music done by a studio in Korea for less than $10,000 ($5,000 + $5,000)

Who gives a shit that a game is isometric or in perspective anyway? Just chill out (i'm talking to kristus and especially his bandwagon here). Games these days should be in perspective anyway, isometric is only for sprite-based ones.

geo said:

No thanks :-( I couldn't get art and music done by a studio in Korea for less than $10,000 ($5,000 + $5,000)

If you're ordering stuff from commercial company/studio, you pay taxes, studio profit, risks rewars, etc. So, nothing surprizing. But you can always find solo freelance guys. If you know how to work with and conrol them, all is ok and costs will be very low. And you can always doing a lot of stuff by yourself as I do :)

ufna said:

If you're ordering stuff from commercial company/studio, you pay taxes, studio profit, risks rewars, etc. So, nothing surprizing. But you can always find solo freelance guys. If you know how to work with and conrol them, all is ok and costs will be very low. And you can always doing a lot of stuff by yourself as I do :)

I can't do my own stuff. I just can't produce it quick enough and I'm not good enough. Programming is more my expertise. :-)

Anyway, $12,000 is not enough.

As for kickstarter, I got hired by a guy to map a project.... then he kickstartered it and got $40,000 then poof disappeared. Its been a year now. He hasn't ever logged back onto Skype and the kickstarter has a post from him maybe every 2 months. I'm under the impression he took the money and ran.

As for kickstarter, I got hired by a guy to map a project.... then he kickstartered it and got $40,000 then poof disappeared. Its been a year now. He hasn't ever logged back onto Skype and the kickstarter has a post from him maybe every 2 months. I'm under the impression he took the money and ran.

I think that this case should be sent to FBI. I know some examples of deception on Kickstarter, and today authorities work on it.

printz said:

Who gives a shit that a game is isometric or in perspective anyway? Just chill out (i'm talking to kristus and especially his bandwagon here). Games these days should be in perspective anyway, isometric is only for sprite-based ones.

I Care about it. Because people don't understand what isometric is, doesnt mean that the word should stop having any meaning.

Narrow bridges and rectangle shaped rooms? My favorite!

ufna said:

I think that this case should be sent to FBI. I know some examples of deception on Kickstarter, and today authorities work on it.

Its been around a year (not sure I mentioned that). Since then I did some research. Found out he got married and moved.

geo said:

Its been around a year (not sure I mentioned that). Since then I did some research. Found out he got married and moved.

Could you be so kind to send me a link to project?

ufna said:

Snitch.

printz said:

That was about reporting others to FBI

I think that it's right thing for frauded backers to contact authorities. Kickstarter is not a place for swindlers.