Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanite10

Java DOOM!

Here is what I believe should be the next step in DOOM. I believe someone should make a Java version of DOOM. Just think of it, you'd be able to play DOOM on any device or operating system without having to modify it! Now that would be amazing! Any comments?

Well, yeah. I'm just starting with Java (I would be far, but I'm not consistent) and know that's it's not the best programming for fast games. The farthest you should go with Java in it's current version is RPGs. C++ is still the best game code out there.

Originally posted by Nanite10
Here is what I believe should be the next step in DOOM. I believe someone should make a Java version of DOOM. Just think of it, you'd be able to play DOOM on any device or operating system without having to modify it! Now that would be amazing! Any comments?

No.

Oh yeah sure, it isn't as slow as a dead cat, but add info for sprites, attributes, behavior, etc, and it won't be pretty.

Go to http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/campus/5009/javamazeintro.html

I remember Doom was quite acceptable on a 486-33MHz. Even with the Java slowdown, a 1600 MHz Pentium 4 running Java should be able to matchup with that, especially with Just-In-Time compilation.

I'm actually thinking of starting up a project to do a Java port of Doom just to show that it can be done, and to sharpen my Java skills. I am a programmer by profession, and though it would be complex, a Java Doom port would be much more interesting than the programming I do for my job.

I stand corrected. Appearently, ther are new complilers out and about that make Java quicker, and soon it's expected that Java will in fact be better for game programming than even C++

All this talk about if it's possible, will it run, blah blah blah

Check this out.
These guys seems to think it's possible...

You'll need Java 1.4 installed to run that applet. Specifically, you'll need the browser plugin part of Java 1.4. (It's incuded in the windows distro, but it might be separate in the solaris/linux distros)

Well actually I don't think it has anything to do with the version of java on my PC!
It can't find the Class!! Sure you uploaded everything MarcusP?

Fairly. (some) Other people can run it, so.. ;)

What class does it say it's missing, more specifically?

Ok, your java plugin probably isn't installed properly.
(or your proxy doesn't allow you to download jar files)

If you still want to see this applet, try uninstalling java 1.4, then reinstalling it, making sure the browser-plugin section is set up properly.

What java plug-in?

I think you're assuming that I'm using Netscape! Or does IE 5 allow plug-ins and I've never heard about it?

Hey, that engine is cool. And very fast too (got 180fps in some areas :)

Heh!
Looks like I needed to download that java runtime library after all.
12 meg download on a 56k modem! I sure hope it's worth it!!

12 megs? Ick. Having cable sure has spoiled me.

I'm definitely going to finish this, so if you want to play doom deathmatches in your browser, I suggest downloading java. ;)

And tarin, could I bother you for your system specs? =) You get more fps than I do, and I've got 1.4ghz.

Bloody hell, i hope sum1 dus create a java version of doom. That'd b amazing. Sorry, just passing. Pls read "csDoom Master Server back online!"