Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zredgemz

idgames Archives complete torrent?

iam wondering if anyone every made a complete torrent with all the levels and tcs that used to be on the idgames ftp server?
p.s iam not trying to be lazy but if someone already did the work i would like to make a few backups.

Don't know of any torrents and don't expect to see any until after the archive's died. Apart from the sheer size of it (somewhere around 40GB if you include /idstuff) having to constantly update the torrent files would soon become a tiresome chore.

ill start picking from doomworld and put a few hours into making a backup. thanks for answering my question greyghost.

I'd love to see this but as you say, nobody will be arsed until the archive is dead.

I guess a script going by id# (at least based on the "idgames" hosted on DW, which has become a second nature) could be used to produce reasonably-sized archives e.g. id 1-1000, 1001-2000 etc. in an incremental manner, but the genre order would be probably ruined. On the plus side, such a series of torrents would be more or less chronologically coherent e.g. oldest archives first.

I'm curious: how does one create a local mirror of the idGames Archive itself? Does each FTP have a series of scripts for parsing the LAST* entries for incoming files?

Maes said:

I guess a script going by id# (at least based on the "idgames" hosted on DW, which has become a second nature) could be used to produce reasonably-sized archives e.g. id 1-1000, 1001-2000 etc. in an incremental manner, but the genre order would be probably ruined. On the plus side, such a series of torrents would be more or less chronologically coherent e.g. oldest archives first.

A set of torrents by year would be a good idea. Don't do it by "id" because the whole concept of "idgames id" is an invented thing that comes from Doomworld's interface and shouldn't really even exist.

MTrop said:

I'm curious: how does one create a local mirror of the idGames Archive itself? Does each FTP have a series of scripts for parsing the LAST* entries for incoming files?

Obvious way to do it would be to use rsync. There might be a more efficient way to do it by parsing the ls-laR.gz file that lists all files in the archive.

fraggle said:

A set of torrents by year would be a good idea.

That's something I could add to my list of self-hosted stuff if/when optical fibre reaches this neighborhood. Year-wise, I don't know whether I should use 1993 or 1601 as the start date. ;-)

fraggle said:
Obvious way to do it would be to use rsync. There might be a more efficient way to do it by parsing the ls-laR.gz file that lists all files in the archive. [/B]

rsync is best no matter what, but I wish I knew of any mirrors with rsync access. :(

AFAIK, they're all http or ftp only.