Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Think I'll have to let go of my E3M3: E4M3 slot. My passion for theese maps weren't as strong as for my previous one I did, have some exams atm too so I'll let someone else make it!

(Make a E3M3 styled map from E4M3's layout that is)

EvilNed01 said:

I wanna do E4M3!

Icytux said:

Think I'll have to let go of my E3M3: E4M3 slot. My passion for theese maps weren't as strong as for my previous one I did, have some exams atm too so I'll let someone else make it!

(Make a E3M3 styled map from E4M3's layout that is)

:D

weird

I had a dream this was finished and I played it in my dream. there was a bridge on the first level with new textures of guts and it looked like dark crucible of hexen at first. I kept saying this isn't the first f'ing level what the hell!!!

lol e4m3 must be cursed.

So I think there are two options for E3-2M9.

1. Use Doomkid92's E3-1M1 as the opening part of the level, then when you get to the exit, expand it out in much the same way as Warrens did to Hell Keep. This would require Doomkid92's OK, and for his map to be done (I think he is still tweaking it?).

2. Use traversd's E4-2M1 as the opening part of the level, then when you get to the exit, expand it out in a similar thematic way to Warrens vs Hell Keep, though obviously the layout will be much different to that of Warrens. traversd has given his OK for this.

So, I guess the first question is whether Doomkid92 is OK with his level being used as a base? And if so, which of the two options do folks prefer?

Personally, I'm inclined toward option 1 (contingent on an OK to do so), since it retains the "I've seen this before" gimmick of Warrens, while allowing the map to stay closer to the original layout. But I am willing to listen to counter-arguments :)

Another idea is for the Warrens level to be a E3M1 level, expanded into three different "levels" and each with a different episode theme.

Yeh, I reckon dk92's map has more room for mods tbh, mines a bit clustered.

Opt 3 is to warrens-up fortress of mystery or even E1M1 or hell any other map. Would be cool if the map first played in its original style and then after the exit switch the mods we in the style of E2.

traversd said:

Would be cool if the map first played in its original style and then after the exit switch the mods we in the style of E2.

That's what I would do if using Doomkid's level as a base ... leave the opening stuff with the E1 looks and then bust out the E2 (vines!) textures for the areas that open up.

Here's my tweaked version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?046pky53k7asuu2

You guys can chop and change this map in whatever way you like, I don't mind. Whatever makes it do it's job best! :P

Also, just played Fernito's map (it kicks butt). I still haven't tried everyone's out, but I'm getting there!

Doomkid92 said:

Here's my tweaked version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?046pky53k7asuu2

You guys can chop and change this map in whatever way you like, I don't mind. Whatever makes it do it's job best! :P

I like it. Great mix of E3M1 and E1M1. The maps feels alien but familiar at the same time.

It feels a little bare at first (the branching corridor that you first enter from the beginning), but that doesn't necessarily hurt it. Great barrel placement. But it seems much too difficult for an E1M1 map - Lost souls and Pinkies feels out of place for an intro to the megawad.

EDIT: Err, wait, is this supposed to appear in E1 or E3 in the final megawad? Because I've been designing me E1M2 replacement as if it appeared in the E2M2 slot... Isn't that how we're supposed to be proceeding? :S

Just played through Doomkids updated map, not much has changed, Cacodemons were removed, but there are still monsters that you wouldn't see in an E1M1 map & the difficulty is still pretty high.

Here is an idea I'm going to throw out there. How about having Doomkids map take up E2M9 slot and have Capellan make E2M1 based on E3M1. The reason I say this is because I enjoyed Doomkids map as it was before the last update, & since it would be a secret level there is really no reason to be as strict with textures or the layout of the map.

Wouldn't it be easier just to remove some monsters than fiddle with map slots? Especially since from a look and design point of view, Doomkid's map is a great blend of E1M1 and E3M1.

Monster-wise, I think E1M1 should only have troopers, imps and sergeants on it.

Yeah, I was going to say, Doomkid92's map is a really great opener, even if it still needs a few monsters removed to make it fit the difficulty.

Also, I assumed from your smiley emoticon that you wanted to take E4-3M3 EvilNed01, so I put you down for it.

Also, yes schwerpunk, you're designing the map correctly.

EvilNed01: HMP: Well, I died on my first attempt. Which probably means the difficulty's about right for an E4-themed map. All told I think it looks really good. This part in particular was nicely arresting. I don't know the later episodes as well as the first two, but this definitely feels like it would be at home in Episode 4.

My E1M2 replacement is coming along well. Although I think I may have gone overboard with the crates in this room:

Hopefully people don't mind me freestyling a bit in some places. Other than some tutti-frutti artefacting that I'm still dealing with, progress is going decently. I've just got to finish up the optional maze, the rooms leading to the exit, and then just add some general polish all around like making the automap look nice and tweaking thing placement.

Here's a WIP if anyone wants to check it out (it's currently in the E1M1 mapslot). Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, there's an exit 'switch' where I'm still working, so at least you can finish the map, heh. :)

Oh man, you really have a way with detailing! I love everything about what I played of it so far. (Except the lack of ammo but you're still working on it.)

Death Egg said:
Yeah, I was going to say, Doomkid92's map is a really great opener, even if it still needs a few monsters removed to make it fit the difficulty.

It's not even actually difficulty, to be honest. It's not like the demons are really threatening; they're just an ammo drain.

Replace all demons with troopers or sergeants and all lost souls with imps, and the level would work fine as e1m1.

Guys, I REALLY want to keep contributing to this amazing project, but all slots have been taken LOL so if anyone needs help beta-testing his/her map or something, just let me know.

Fernito said:

Guys, I REALLY want to keep contributing to this amazing project, but all slots have been taken LOL so if anyone needs help beta-testing his/her map or something, just let me know.

Hey there, I'm pretty new to vanilla mapping so having someone beta test my map would be incredibly appreciated. I'm looking for feedback primarily on aesthetics and the flow of monster encounters. Or anything that strikes you as noteworthy, really.

Here's the download link. The layout is about 90% complete, but I still need to majorly tweak it for playability. My ultimate aim is to make the map Tyson-able, so I'm sticking with Imps, Demons, Spectres, and Lost Souls - just like in the real E2M2.

EDIT: Also, how about we get a section in the OP for dedicated beta testers? Speaking from some experience, megawads can flourish or perish based on the presence or lack of quality testers. :)

schwerpunk said:

Hey there, I'm pretty new to vanilla mapping so having someone beta test my map would be incredibly appreciated. I'm looking for feedback primarily on aesthetics and the flow of monster encounters. Or anything that strikes you as noteworthy, really.

Here's the download link. The layout is about 90% complete, but I still need to majorly tweak it for playability. My ultimate aim is to make the map Tyson-able, so I'm sticking with Imps, Demons, Spectres, and Lost Souls - just like in the real E2M2.

Great! I'll try to beta-test it today after work :)

EvilNed01 said:

Here's version 2 of E4M9 (E1M9 done in E4 style).

Pretty much finished save for any bugs you might find.

http://www.filmklubben.eu/wads/E4M9ver2.wad

I've found one more bug you didn't fix. And I recommend you not to fix it. Because if you don't fix it, your map might become famous and popular among speedrunners :) The bug is shown in this lmp:

http://speedy.sh/DyRVQ/wooo.lmp

(recorded with Chocolate Doom, works with Prboom-Plus -complevel 3, if you don't know how to play it, learn ;))

It isn't actually a speed demo.

Added tester section to the first post. Also, it may be a bit early to start thinking about this, but I might start planning a Switcheroom 2 if anybody would be up for it... though it'd be a bit larger in scope than this one. ;) However, I think we should have all the maps finished for this one and almost ready for release before beginning the next one.

A bit larger than that. The plan that I'm currently thinking of would be switching the maps between Doom, TNT, and Plutonia. In order for it to work though it'd have to be done in three phases, MAP01-11's first, MAP12-20 second (Plus secret maps), and MAP21-30's last. The final result would be three megawads, one for Doom II's IWAD and two for the Final Doom IWAD's.

The reason for this is that Doom II, despite sort of being comprised of "episodes", aren't really as distinct and separate as the original Doom's episodes. Plus the game continually gets bigger in scope as the levels go on, so early maps put later would result in some fairly short later levels and really long early ones.

Yeah, it's pretty ambitious.

Death Egg said:

Added tester section to the first post. Also, it may be a bit early to start thinking about this, but I might start planning a Switcheroom 2 if anybody would be up for it... though it'd be a bit larger in scope than this one. ;) However, I think we should have all the maps finished for this one and almost ready for release before beginning the next one.

Nice, but I wonder how it'd work... maybe making the same thing but between Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia maps?

Oh man. I claim Entryway as Congo right now! ;)

It's still a bit early to be thinking about this but when and if it does come around, i'm totally in.