Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

Is this project still taking maps? If so, I have this from an old map project of mine that could be spruced up and added in.

Paul D said:

Ok, here's my final re-design of Teleportarium.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/telep3.wad

I fixed the bugs and changed the aesthetics on a segment of the level somewhat.

added tentative difficulty settings, but I'm not sure how well any of them are balanced.

Really nice map, I love the look and the layout of it. A couple of things - did you know you can get the yellow key without raising the slime, by running across the platforms? I guess it makes things harder because you miss out the SSG if you do that, just wondered if you planned it that way.

Also, in the SSG room, you can just run out of that room without fighting any of the monsters, which makes them a bit redundant - seems a shame because its quite a fun battle in there.

Good job on fixing it by the way.

The yellow key thing:

I kinda like it: originally I had removed it but I decided to put it back in because it's fun, but I can understand if it trips up the flow of the level too dramatically. If that's the case, I'll fix it.

regarding the supershotgun room fight: How can I make it less easy to skip, but without doing something frustrating like putting bars over the entrance door or something?

Maybe add a new room on the other side of the SSG room to put the key in, so that the player has to come back through it to get back to the other area?

Yeah I think you should keep the yellow key as it is, cos skipping the SSG can be quite punishing later. Maybe you could also move most of the juicy ammo into those containers the mancs are in as well, so you have to deal with them if you want to grab all the goodies...

Or some other reward in there that involves dealing with the monsters if you want to get it, like pressing the switch also lowers a platform that lets you get on that little ledge that skirts the edges of the room, and theres a soul sphere on the opposite side...

Death Egg said:

Is this project still taking maps? If so, I have this from an old map project of mine that could be spruced up and added in.

The Project is welcoming any new maps!

I'm new and interested in contributing something, should it meet the project manager's standards, but don't full grasp the limit removing requirement. Can I just make a map in DEU which is too big for doom.exe to save safely and thereby be considered limit-removing?

yakfak said:

I'm new and interested in contributing something, should it meet the project manager's standards, but don't full grasp the limit removing requirement. Can I just make a map in DEU which is too big for doom.exe to save safely and thereby be considered limit-removing?

If you stick to using vanilla linedef actions then all is fine. You can make the map as big and as detailed as you like :)

mouldy said:

Yeah I think you should keep the yellow key as it is, cos skipping the SSG can be quite punishing later. Maybe you could also move most of the juicy ammo into those containers the mancs are in as well, so you have to deal with them if you want to grab all the goodies...

Or some other reward in there that involves dealing with the monsters if you want to get it, like pressing the switch also lowers a platform that lets you get on that little ledge that skirts the edges of the room, and theres a soul sphere on the opposite side...

Ok, I changed the SSG room to be a bit more dynamic and meaningful. Added balconies, stairs, and an upper area of different height, with a good amount of resources. Spruced up intro area's appearance and reduced number of redundant sectors. Same download link works for newer version.

I'm pretty sure I can safely say that this map is finished at this point. All that's left is perhaps some testing and minor edits.

Paul D said:

Ok, I changed the SSG room to be a bit more dynamic and meaningful. Added balconies, stairs, and an upper area of different height, with a good amount of resources. Spruced up intro area's appearance and reduced number of redundant sectors. Same download link works for newer version.

I'm pretty sure I can safely say that this map is finished at this point. All that's left is perhaps some testing and minor edits.

Excellent stuff. I like what you did to that SSG room.

Presumably all the maps I listed on the last page, plus yakfak's map. I'm still working on one of mine, trying to hit the March 31st deadline, but progress is slowing down as I'm struggling with some of my map space.

Is this dark, or too dark? The basic idea is an abandoned industrial workplace.

Yeah, it does.

Also, do you have two accounts or what is this?

on relevant note:

I'm thinking of making another midi: It will be a remix of the marching song/ Glenn Miller swing tune "American Patrol"

Here's another cool midi I found from the game "Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness". "Dr. Cranium's Laboratory"

again, not my work. I slightly abridged it and fixed some weird error that made it play wrong when looping. I have no idea why the file size is so large, I removed a bunch of cues and stuff for tracks that aren't involved in the song, instrument changes, etc. (The whole game's soundtrack came as one midi so I had to truncate it to this part) I'll try to figure out how to reduce file size.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/qf4crlab.mid

It would fit really well for a semi ambient tech-hell or just really tough techbase level.

My 1st map ever created is near the end. It's in Ultimate Doom style, pinkies and spectres are the protagonists. I wonder if it can put in this wad(Maybe Map02 is suitable), however I don't know how to change the music and map name. I also don't know how to convert Ultimate Doom maps into Doom2.wad, like changing its complevel.

The name of this map is "Mansions of Pinkies".

Screenshots:

I played through most of the maps like a week ago.

We have very many "easy" or starter maps at the moment, so anything you guys can do to up the difficulty just a little bit would be great! I could rework my MAP01 as well, make it a bit tougher. Add chaingun guys and stuff like that.

mouldy said:

Thats a neat little map. Fairly easy but in a map01 kind of way. I think this project is still welcoming new maps.

thanks, I was thinking it could be used as filler material for any absent maps or just as a quick intermission map.

PRIMEVAL said:

Scrap map from me. Very hellish looking, slightly inspired by Minecraft caves / nether realm. Unfinished. Anyone can take over if they'd like. I may make a song for it, not sure yet.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62445669/NovaMapII.wad

Just a reminder, there's still this scrap map to finish if anyone wants to take it. :)

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

I don't know how to change the music and map name. I also don't know how to convert Ultimate Doom maps into Doom2.wad, like changing its complevel.

I'm assuming music/mapname will be sorted by whoever is putting it all together. I never tried converting from doom to doom 2 but you could try opening it in doombuilder in doom2 configuration. I guess you might need to load the doom2.wad as a resource and change any doom textures as well..

PRIMEVAL said:

Just a reminder, there's still this scrap map to finish if anyone wants to take it. :)

I might have a mess around with it. I don't think this collection has much in the way of hell going on.

Yeah there's like 2-3 hell maps so far. Difficulty is going to be all over the place but I'm not sure whether we should do anything about it, as I like the idea of preserving each individual author's mapping style/decisions. We'll see when we have everything compiled... the first "episode" is possibly going to be underwhelming/quick in the gameplay department.

Also, Daiyu, I think you can just copy & paste the linedefs and things from a D1 map to a D2 map (there may be a few textures errors however so you just have to look out for unique D1 textures). kildeth (or I) will take care of music, dehacked map names, and CWILV## stuff. It'd be neat if we could get some artists on board for a title, inter, and endboss pic. I might possibly give it a try since this is a project for newbies in the first place.

Doom 1 and Doom 2 map formats are the same so just rename E1M1 to MAP01 and that's it. But yeah, you might need to change some textures that aren't present in Doom 2.

I'd be happy to work out a soundtrack, seeing as how I have tiny case of mappers block.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

My 1st map ever created is near the end. It's in Ultimate Doom style, pinkies and spectres are the protagonists. I wonder if it can put in this wad(Maybe Map02 is suitable), however I don't know how to change the music and map name. I also don't know how to convert Ultimate Doom maps into Doom2.wad, like changing its complevel.

The name of this map is "Mansions of Pinkies".

One minor nitpick with the ceilings, you're using lights for the ceiling coupled with other lower lights (referring to screenshots 1 and 3). I'd say maybe a bit more ceiling variation (personally) but this is looking grand for a first map Daiyu. Certainly better than what I can do and I've been mapping for a fair few years.