Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VileSlay

doom frontends? shells?

looking for a program that can load multiple wads and cmd line parameters. randomization would be a + , and conversion of doom wads to doomII. I used to used D!Zone back in the day (I've been out of the Doom loop for a while), but I get runtime errors when I start it up. I think its cuz Windows ME does a suck job at DOS emulation.

Use the KING DOOM Frontend. It's fast, easy, and does more things than I could count on two hands.

See, king Elvis? You Don't need to reply. shoo.

bigbadgangsta said:

The King Doom front-end by King Elvis rules!

Heh... heheh... hahaha... HAHAHhahHAHhahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAhahaahahHA omg HAHAHAhahHAHAHAHAH my stomach oh god the pain AHAHAHAHAHhahahHAHAH*

*No.

Liam the Bard said:

Heh... heheh... hahaha... HAHAHhahHAHhahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAhahaahahHA omg HAHAHAhahHAHAHAHAH my stomach oh god the pain AHAHAHAHAHhahahHAHAH*

*No.

Better take the injection needle outta your arm!

i've never understood the point af doom frontends (other then, i'm bored and i suck at programming. i'll make a lame frontend). could someone please explain it to me?

Actually schepe , it seems you're going out of your way to rub people up the wrong way saying silly things to provoke arguments.

However, I'm going to assume that you do genuinely want to know the usefullness of frontends.

I made my own simple little frontend a while ago for the simple reason that I do not have all my wads and source ports in the same directory.
To save me the hassle of typing out the full path and pass it to the source port, I made a nice little VB application which lets me find the source port on my hard drive clicking a button, and then the wad I want to load clicking another button. I also have a few checkboxes also (to turn off sound etc.)

Here's a screen shot:

It's as ugly as sin but it does the job!

heh, If I had VB6 I would be able to make a frontend quite easily, but, as usual, I am flat on my ass broke.

Besides VB costs too much.

Heh heh VB (an australian beer called Victoria Bitter (hence VB))

Spose you have to be an aussie to get it.

well if you're using a shell with filename completion (which most people probably are) it is just as fast as pointing and clicking in a gui, if not faster.

schepe said:

well if you're using a shell with filename completion (which most people probably are) it is just as fast as pointing and clicking in a gui, if not faster.

I'd say there's not much in it, either. If you're used to DOS, then the command line can be just as fast, but for more complicated loading I think most people these days would need an all-inclusive and fool-proof GUI.

I got the pleasure to test the upcoming pre-release of KDX 4.1

schepe said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is this of which you speak?

in shells like bash, 4dos or cmd on newer win32 you can press tab to have it complete the filname of which you have written some letters.