Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[ZDCMP2] RC1 released (yay, it's not mordeth'd)

The one behind the metal pillars where the Cybruisers spawn? I believe I've tried that one, but I guess I'll have to try it again.

EDIT: Well, I tried it again, and it worked. You really have to be precise with that one.

Completed the level, gonna play it again on "challenge" mode or w/e it's called since it's such a fantastic map.

What I think could be fixed:

-Visual glitches, specially on 3D floors where I can see enemies from below.

-Too much ammo? I found I had like more than 50% of ammo of every weapon. Maybe I'm too picky with aim. I even spammed some of that demon hand weapon around the end since there were so many souls, and it didn't seem to miss that many enemies.

-The rifle is a fantastic weapon, one of the best custom weapons there have been in Doom, but there aren't that many situations to use it and replacements are found too early in the map. Wish shotgun was found later or there were more moments where sniping is required, since it's when it works the best.

-The hand grenades suck, and there aren't that many of them. Coulda even completed the map without using any.

-The end is kinda anticlimatic. You defeat the big boss, and then there are many dark imps and so but it feels kinda filler. Sometimes I even thought there was some kind of countdown since it feels like there should be. Something like 6-10 minutes to escape? It's like the intensity of the ending phades away because of that.

-I couldn't open the log or the objective screen. I played in ZDoom. Is this normal?

I'll post again if I think of more stuff.

Some people have complained there weren't enough ammo, so mileages vary. I think it's mostly a question of wandering around to explore a bit and scrounge up some more ammo vs. just zipping from door to switch to key as fast as possible.

I tend to prefer the rifle to the simple shotgun for most of the map. Especially because you can do stuff like altfire-altfire-primary fire to kill a demon while spending only two shells and two bullets, instead of three shells. (Or an imp with altfire-primary fire, likewise.) With the normal shotgun, you've got to switch to a different weapon or "waste" a full shell.

Log and objectives didn't work with the alt-hud, but this has been fixed in ZDoom and GZDoom recently.

Talvi said:

-Visual glitches, specially on 3D floors where I can see enemies from below.

I think that's a software renderer limitation when it comes to 3d floors. Nothing can be done mod-side. If you play the map with GZDoom, you shouldn't get these glitches.

-The hand grenades suck

Can elaborate on what makes it bad? (Maybe it can be improved)

Blue Shadow said:

I think that's a software renderer limitation when it comes to 3d floors. Nothing can be done mod-side. If you play the map with GZDoom, you shouldn't get these glitches.

Can elaborate on what makes it bad? (Maybe it can be improved)

They have short range, so you have to choice either to get them and wait for enemies to walk accordingly on top of them, or cook them, get near and pray you don't get hit by the explosion range (which is actually bigger than it looks). Maybe I don't really get it how to use them properly. There were a couple situations with a big cluster or enemies in a position I wouldn't miss a grenade but that's all. I wish you could throw them farther away or that they exploded on contact.

Ozymandias81 said:

Is Tormentor667 human or something else? :-)

Emm... you're forgetting the dozen or so people who contributed to this as well. :)

This looks great so far! But there's something about it that seems a bit off. It could be that when I press fire, I hear a ricochet before the gun goes off. This just feels backwards to me. Level design is great, and everything about this wad looks "professional" but I'm having a difficult time wanting to continue this because of the anti-logic in the firing mechanics. I would have been happy with vanilla weapons, but these new weapons have so much potential, and they're ruined with premature ricochetion. First off, ricochets are extremely rare in a realistic firefight. But this isn't real, it's a game, and ricochets are awesome in movies and games. But the physics involved (fictional or non) are such that a ricochet comes from a bullet hitting a sturdy object at an angle, causing it to bounce off and make a 'zing' sound. The fact that the ricochets in this wad come from the gun before it's fully fired implies that the bullet was loaded in sideways and ricochets off the cylinder before exiting the barrel somehow. Anyway, I had to ramble on that for a minute, because I don't want to let one aspect of a wad to ruin it for me. Maybe it'll grow on me.

The ricochet sound is just an "effect" played by the bullet puffs fired from hitscan weapons when hitting (or shall we say "spawning" on) walls or non-bleeding objects. There isn't much to it. I know it can be annoying sometimes, but try not to let it put you off of playing this. ;)

I've noticed this in a few (G)ZDoom wads with heavy scripting and other stuff (eg UTnT and Winter's Fury). I just put it down to the engine being too busy with other stuff and playing the weapon sound when it gets around to it.

scalliano said:

I've noticed this in a few (G)ZDoom wads with heavy scripting and other stuff (eg UTnT and Winter's Fury). I just put it down to the engine being too busy with other stuff and playing the weapon sound when it gets around to it.

I am playing on a laptop with integrated graphics, so there could just be a delay on my end. I don't know why I bought this stupid thing, I had the money for a midgrade gaming pc. This wad is still amazing, and I'll try to overlook my performance problems!

I'm on an Intel i7 quad-core 3.1 CPU, 2 nVidia GTX460's and 12GB RAM and I'm getting the same issues as you so it's not your laptop ;)