Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

How do you like your (beef) steak?

I prefer a nice t-bone or tenderloin between medium and well done. I usually cook my steaks on the BBQ or use one of those Forge Goreman type grills that cook on top and bottom at the same time. I like a bit of BBQ sauce when doing them on the BBQ. Sometimes I use some Montreal steak seasoning on my steaks before grilling and then maybe add BBQ sauce as well. Some other cuts like round steak done up in a gravy in a covered roasting pan in the oven is pretty damned good too. Along with my steaks I like grilled onions and mushrooms and baked potato or fries with ketchup on there.

It's been a while since I've had steak, but can't go wrong with a medium rare steak with pepper sauce!

I usually take it rare, but I've been burned (heh) by a few restaurants who's cuts aren't the best, so I've been thinking of switching to medium-rare.

Medium rare with English mustard, onion rings, mushrooms and chips.

By medium rare I mean pink with some juices but the last few times I've eaten out they've played it safe and overcooked it so I'm thinking of switching to rare.

purist said:

By medium rare I mean pink with some juices but the last few times I've eaten out they've played it safe and overcooked it so I'm thinking of switching to rare.

If you visit France, be sure to ask for it "literally incinerated", and you might get it almost cooked as much as you describe.

Unless it's made from 100% roadkilled South African Zonkey, it ain't real Angus steak.

Platinum Shell said:

Cool beans.

Is this what vegetarians have instead of rare steak?

AndrewB said:

Grass fed. Surprised no one has mentioned it.

This. And then rare. Bloody = delicious. I've also fallen in love with steak tartar and would eat it every day if 1) that were a healthy option and 2) it wasn't so damned expensive.

grouchbag said:

I'm a vegetarian.

We've spent millennia domesticating the aurochs and ensuring it's extinction for this?

I don't eat beans the musical fruit for obvious reasons. I also hate tofu.But please,I am NOT a vegan! Most of the ones I know are a bunch of ....well,I'll be polite. the veegans get upset with me because of my leather shoes and handbags.While I don't eat chicken or fish,I do love cheese and use butter.Oh yeah..I smoke a cigarette on occasion and also have a beer.

Medium or well done, now I'm starting to feel like steak no thanks to this thread. :P

Depends on my mood, but its either 'well done' or 'medium rare'

I did sit on a table a few years back who ordered it raw! It was advertised as 'Blue if you want it to moo' lol

He had to sign a bit of paper to say he excepted responsibility so if he become seriously ill or dies then it was not the restaurants fault.

A good (pinkish) piece of sirloin, cooked medium rare or medium.

Strangely, I like sirloin more than scotch or eye fillet O_o

bcwood16 said:

Depends on my mood, but its either 'well done' or 'medium rare'

I did sit on a table a few years back who ordered it raw! It was advertised as 'Blue if you want it to moo' lol

He had to sign a bit of paper to say he excepted responsibility so if he become seriously ill or dies then it was not the restaurants fault.

I seriously don't understand the point of a paper (I understand it's getting any responsibilities out of the way in such a case, but I mean cmon.) Steak isn't bursting from the meaty seams with salmonella or some shit. I mean, look at steak done up in Japan; often on the blue side of things. (blue as in the level of cooked, which is below rare) I think us Americans (not to exclude DW members from other parts of the world, but I know we are notorious for this) are so used to heavily cooked/processed food, that any thought of rawness just plain grosses us out. Again, general masses.

Chicken though...yeah cook that thoroughly.

I really have don't an issue with raw beef. Though I would never buy one from the store and simply eat it raw. Due to the fact that it could have been sitting around days and pumped full of crap. If I could get a steak that's fresher and not full of additives I would love to try it raw.

Having a Kobe steak in Kobe, Japan is on my bucket list.

Oh, I got infected with rotavirus through a steak. Thank God and good nurses for saving me, I was near to die (also, it wouldn't be nice to die in christmas eve)... Now I don't want to even think of them.
But I really liked well-done BBQ steaks with chili pepper, self-made sauce and some onion... ^^

Medium-rare to medium. I don't think I've ever had a rare steak, might have to give it a try, but I sure as heck don't want a steak that's been overcooked. I don't know how people can stand well-done steaks. They're not juicy and they have no flavor. You gotta have at least some pink in the middle. Actually, I had a girlfriend who insisted that her steaks be well-done, and it threw me off when cooking, because I had to keep track of two different cooking times for two different steaks at the same time, and I almost always ended up accidentally overcooking my own. Though one time, I overcooked mine and undercooked hers, so we just ended up trading, and it all worked out.

Oh, also, can't have it without A1, at least if I'm cooking at home. If I'm at a restaurant, it's fine, because they usually use really good cuts of meat and season their steaks well (except for the time I had a steak at Chili's and I asked for medium and got, well, pretty much the steak in the Gordon Ramsey video posted above), but since I'm a cheap bastard, I never get good cuts of meat.

Oh, and I can never seem to figure out what sides to go with steak. Sauteed veggies are good, I guess, or maybe mashed potatoes, but I don't know, I haven't yet found anything where I'm like, "Yes, this is absolutely what this steak needs!"

Since moving to Paris, I've really gotten into steak tartare, so yeah, pretty goddamn rare...

Hah! Not seen that before. Although, by the look of it, Bean didn't get a good one.