Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Just finished Herian, the precursor to Herian 2. It's...pretty shoddy. Layouts are pretty poor, combat isn't that entertaining, and Ian Wilson takes all of the things people hate about Eternal Doom, throws in some more obfuscation, and dials it up to 11. It's reined back in the IWAD retools (from Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife). Incidentally, the IWAD retool maps are among my favorites of the set. Things get better toward the end but Herian should be reserved for historicists or people that really want to shoot Heretic monsters with the SSG. I admit, that part is very satisfying. Also check it out for the Spiderdemon replacement, a maulotaur with a chaingun mounted in his chest a la Wolf3D.

been playing eternal doom III, and I'm still on the final level!
It's been about 6 months and I'm playing on Ultra Violence right now. I might go back and finish it or maybe just start playing Plutonia 2.

Doom II with Brutal Doom. Brutal Doom is SO FUN, but man is the difficulty curve different with all those Former Humans having assault rifles. I found myself getting my ass kicked in Underhalls.

kmxexii said:

Just finished Herian, the precursor to Herian 2. It's...pretty shoddy. Layouts are pretty poor, combat isn't that entertaining, and Ian Wilson takes all of the things people hate about Eternal Doom, throws in some more obfuscation, and dials it up to 11. It's reined back in the IWAD retools (from Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife). Incidentally, the IWAD retool maps are among my favorites of the set. Things get better toward the end but Herian should be reserved for historicists or people that really want to shoot Heretic monsters with the SSG. I admit, that part is very satisfying. Also check it out for the Spiderdemon replacement, a maulotaur with a chaingun mounted in his chest a la Wolf3D.

I agree on most counts (and I like Eternal Doom, myself), though I've never been a big fan of IWAD homages/remixes, and so even those don't score a lot of points with me. I would say that Herian 2 also ends up feeling more like a slog than a good time for many of its maps, although the hit/miss ratio is probably at least a little better there, largely by dint of an overall higher degree of craftsmanship on a technical level.

Apart from some recent single maps, I'm still revisiting 2002: A Doom Odyssey for the megawad club, and still making my way through Hell Awakened, which is really starting to grow on me. It really starts to hit its stride a few maps into the Hell episode....it's not always the most interesting thing in terms of structure (and the current version still has a couple of instances of missing textures and a few potentially gamebreaking progression oversights), but the author has a real gift for setting up suitably intense ambushes and set-piece battles.

I finished my playthrough of Heroes Tales, and it was quite a ride from beginning to the end. First off, it was fairly easy, but when I got to the hell levels, Map28 was quite a doozy. From there on, it was a simple matter of getting through the last two maps as per usual. Map29 was quite interesting, and a welcome respite after the brutal map28, inside an eldritch abomination and then going to blow it up. Map30 was a bit of a run-through to an intro area, with the cyberdemon guardian before the usual boss spawner, who took the form of Cthulhu.

All in all, the megawad was a pretty mixed bag, but it didn't really have too many really annoying levels. Oh, and a little while earlier, I beat Lunatic in one sitting...but man was Map05 a slugfest. The waves of monsters teleporting in as the countdown progressed, and more of the arena opening up, was a neat touch.

Played Surge. A very fun set of short little maps with a few unique scenarios. It's usually a little plain when the dust settles but until then you're running and jumping and fighting and humping.

Played xided, a 2012 map with a 1994/5 feel. It was deliciously nostalgiac with a neat floating island at the end and with a very abstract opening. Also a strong OG Doom feel due to sparing Doom II monster use.

Just finished DTS-T. It was not good. There are some flashes of brilliance and a great spirit of authorship but the back third is weighed down by the first two thirds and the much-touted Apostruct is nowhere near perfect. I want to see what Derks does next, though.

Next, The Refinery. Then, Alien Vendetta.

I really liked Herian 2, dont know how much of the first one I played though. Never finished either one, but I intend to.

Currently finishing off Doom 3 BFG Edition's Ultimate Doom extra on the PS3 for a few trophies. E4M6 has cut my smooth sailing through E4 short..like always..

I died a million times on E4M7, due to insistence on using only rockets and plasma from the previous level. Many suicides happened..

Finally got all the trophies for Doom, its kind of annoying that Doom 3's trophy list includes the classic Doom extras, when Doom Classic Complete exists, but hey, gives me an excuse to play Doom more. Not looking forward to two runs through NRFTL though, that level set is pure hell.

Snakes said:

Is this not the final release? Genuinely curious, here.

That's the release the megaWAD club used for their playthrough but all the feedback from the players spurred many of the authors to revise elements of their levels. I'm waiting on the super-duper-final release myself.

Aaaaah, okay. I have yet to play Interception, so perhaps I'll wait a little while for the ultra-mega-final edition.

Just starting playing 2002 Doom Odyssey, great level design for it's era. Paul Corfiatis is one of the best level designers, after Kaiser and Tormentor of course. I just love Doom Odyssey cause this is my second play through. I want to beat all of the levels without cheating on Ultra Violence though.

I liked Refinery but the fetishism of super-zombies blows and the whole level felt kind of flat in spite of all the detailing. Actually many of the custom enemies felt pointless, kind of like it was a tech demo of Bestiary entries, but most didn't have a ton of stage time. I think I liked playthrOugh 2 more in spite of the zombie railgunners at the onset.

Currently playing AV, when I have time. It's pretty fucking good so far.

Finishing up the final seven maps of Memento Mori I had left to run through. My feelings on this have been mixed, and I'm finding myself merely wanting to "finish" it than enjoy it, which is a shame.

I'm either trying Zones of Fear next or Survive in Hell as the "offtime" wad from the club's choice.

Go for Survive in Hell. :) Zones of Fear is full of amateurish oversized maps with banal semi-slaughter gameplay, quite boring stuff IMO.

Memfis said:

Go for Survive in Hell. :) Zones of Fear is full of amateurish oversized maps with banal semi-slaughter gameplay, quite boring stuff IMO.

Agreed. SiH is a faster, more enjoyable play. It's still mostly slaughterish but it rarely if ever hangs around past its welcome whereas in ZoF, well, you'd find out.

Survive in hell has it's flaws and is a bit homagey even to the point of ripping off maps. But it is one fun ride. Zones of fear is a bit meh in my opinion.

Recently finished Knee Deep In ZDoom as a Let's Play on my channel. Only the second wad I've actually finished (the other being icarus as livestream filler a year ago).
I found it to be rather interesting as a whole despite several times where due to my own stupidity (in part) I'd get stuck for a few minutes looking for switches/doors. Loved the level redesigns and easter eggs.
Hope Shores of ZDoom gets released at some point this year also!

I'm also currently playing through Heretic for the first time.

Still playing AV. It's been fantastic, with some reservations. In the final stretch after finishing Dark Dome last night. Gonna go back and do Valley of Echoes when I'm done to finish it off.

kmxexii said:

Still playing AV. It's been fantastic, with some reservations. In the final stretch after finishing Dark Dome last night. Gonna go back and do Valley of Echoes when I'm done to finish it off.

Playing the old version, huh?

Really looking forward to your review =)

Plutonia 2. fredrik johansson map04 was awesome. I also like adolf gusta maps alot.

darkreaver said:

Playing the old version, huh?

Really looking forward to your review =)

No, actually. I'm doing the 2nd version first and then going back to play Valley from the old one.

Edit: I guess my choice of wording ("back") is the confounder!

Currently playing KDiZDCommunity Is Falling 3. Anyone else notice that the "Nightmare!" setting is now the "Nick Baker!" setting? Priceless. X-D

The map that replaced Valley of Echoes is fine enough in its own right, but I've always liked Valley a lot better, and I think the Clandestine Complex feels out of place stylistically, especially for an E3 map (no more than "One Flew Over the Caco's Nest", though, I suppose). I guess Anders felt the first part of Valley was too counterintuitive in places/didn't like the way earlier segments can't be revisited once you leave them, though.

Apart from starting Hadephobia for the DWMC, I've recently played "Pesha" and "Realm of Demonology." The former, I think, is a good example of how to establish story/narrative in Doom without the need for ZDooM features or interlevel intermission text. There is a lot of nice scenery and an engaging sense of environmental scope, although I think a couple of the fights feel a bit canned (mainly the manc/revs and zombie horde in the second map). Quite liked the mini-challenges and nasty little tricks in the last map, though. The latter is noticeably its author's first release in the sense that some of the scenery/lighting is a bit crass, and a few of the more slaughter-oriented fights are a bit hamfisted (mainly in the last map), but there are a lot of interesting scenarios with hordes of various sizes in picturesque locations, as the author does seem to continue the Russian community's tradition of emphasizing atmosphere. A bit rough around the edges, perhaps, but I do hope to see more maps by Demonologist in the future.

I finally beat Skepland after six goddamn hours. I'm still not sure how I feel about the mod. I don't mind spending so much time on a mod when the reason for my immersion ISN'T because I don't have a clue where to go next. On the other hand, this mod made me achieve shit I never thought I was capable of. Won a close-quarters duel with a cyberdemon using the slow-ass reload super shotgun. And there was that sudden, invigorating surge of pride every time I realized how quiet and barren a once deafeningly overpopulated map had become.

Guess I had a good time after all.

kmxexii said:

No, actually. I'm doing the 2nd version first and then going back to play Valley from the old one.

Edit: I guess my choice of wording ("back") is the confounder!

I just totally misread your post :P