Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
qoncept

3D bridge quirks - is it a Zandronum thing?

I've played through a handful of wads on coop in Zandronum with a friend and the one thing we always dread is finding 3d bridges. They're buggy as hell (we'll end up on the ground level a lot) and if they're curved, forget it. We'll never get to the other side.

I don't know exactly what the trick is but it seems like they have to work better than what I'm seeing, maybe in a different source port. Anyone else experienced this?

Don't a lot of them abuse self-referencing sectors to make the floor rise to the bridge's level without making it visually do so? Could be they just weren't designed with co-op in mind.

Indeed. If it's the vanilla bridge trick then they'll only work properly if there is 1 player. The second player may set the bridge to a different level unless they tag along closely.

I guess if you insist on playing such wads in co-op, the procedure when approaching the bridge would be to group together, have one player stand on the ground where the bridge is supposed to be and then have the other back up until they cross the line to raise the bridge. Finally stay close together when crossing.

Zandronum actually recently fixed a "bug" where object would fail to properly fall through a bridge. :p

Blzut3 said:

Indeed. If it's the vanilla bridge trick then they'll only work properly if there is 1 player. The second player may set the bridge to a different level unless they tag along closely.

I guess if you insist on playing such wads in co-op, the procedure when approaching the bridge would be to group together, have one player stand on the ground where the bridge is supposed to be and then have the other back up until they cross the line to raise the bridge. Finally stay close together when crossing.

I'm not sure but it sounds like you're talking about instances where we're both close together on the bridges and interfering with each other..? In most (or at least some) cases we're nowhere near each other on the map, if that makes a difference.

Depends on the map setup. The trigger lines may be some distance away from the bridge to hide the sounds.

But there may be another cause. If the engine rebuilds the nodes, maps made by mappers that don't know how these bridges work inside out may break due to dependence on the node builder. This stuff is very tricky and if a mapper just hacks around until it works - well, it's not guaranteed to work. I've seen this far too often.

I don't know when and why Zandronum may need to rebuild nodes though.