Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eregore

HYMN: A Heretic Community Project!

The deadline for this project, April 1st, is finally approaching!! Levels don't have to be finished by then but all playable efforts should be submitted. If you not finished don't sweat it, I just want to get an alpha WAD created. We should play each others levels, give feedback, make balance and bug fixes, and decide how our episode might be arranged, based off of our entries.

Now, to get the ball rolling I am posting my level 'Temple of The Fallen' with screenshots to show my progress. Its not well balanced and doesn't have difficulty settings yet.

SCREENSHOTS:

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/?frzmli8i73mhmb6

Hopefully this will inspire those of you who are on the fence about submitting a map!

Hey guys!

Link to my map:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62350852/CastleZ%20v10313.wad

One of the first things you'll notice is the use of the advanced/zdoom features (slopes/skybox viewpoint). These aren't integral to the map's design, so I'm more than happy to edit these out if you guys think it's worthy of being part of the pack.
It's not 100% finished currently, but the map CAN be played from start to finish.

Replaces E1M1, and I haven't included the textures in the WAD so you'll still need to load the texture pack alongside this WAD. Tested in ZDoom, GZDoom and Zandronum.

Cheers guys!

Okay, after a couple of really busy weeks I'm back to mapping (and doing it as fast as I can since the deadline is so close).

But first, I finally played through Egregor's map (using Doomsday) so I'll post my thoughts on it:

I do not really like the starting area, it's confusing and cramped though I eventually got used to navigating it so it's not that bad.

When I first got out of the vine maze, I really liked the sight, except for a couple of misaligned textures and a little HOM it was a really good looking area BUT I got really annoyed by the amount of monsters sniping me, specially those friggin disciples.

Then we have the indoors area, It is definitely good looking but it is again way to cramped (specially the hallways), in fact there are even some monsters getting stuck on different parts.

And then we got this little cave, it is absolutely tedious to fight in there since for one, the floor keeps lowering and rising every time I get close to the Ophidians (and the Disciples once the switch is pressed), this alone wouldn't be much of problem, but due to the shape of the cave I had to get close to fight, otherwise my shots will keep crashing onto the wall, and since there is not really much ammo on the map (at least until I found the Hellstaff) it is annoying to see it wasted crashing on the walls.

Also, one of my mayor annoyances were all those volcano things on the map; they make movement through the lava really unpleasant since they get in your way when trying to reach a platform, and their fireballs just add to the annoyance.

Finally I found some misaligned textures on a staircase near the end.

TL;DR version: Overall a really nice map (if cramped), some annoyances here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed. Enemy placement seemed a little random but since you said there are no difficulty settings and no balance I overlooked it.

I have been keeping track of progress but I was quite inactive for the past few months The busy life as a teacher makes for less free time. If my map is accepted I will bugfix/balance things.

Hope we will get enough decently finished maps

Cheerio!

It's not 100% done and there's still quite a few rough edges on mine to be polished, but it's somewhat playable. The balance and difficulty settings are probably way off where they should be because I'm still not overly familiar with Heretic. Here's the (very alpha) link: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/adetic.zip

Hoping to get plenty more done over the coming days due to bank holidayage.

//EDIT: I know the Iron Liches tend to get stuck on the raised decorative border edges in the water area, will see if I can fix that with some monster blocking flags.

The deadline is approaching, but there is still more time! Two more great maps added to the roster. DooMAD, you're mad is really stunning! We almost have an alpha-map set now.

A.Gamma, thanks for the feedback. Some of what you've mentioned has already been addressed on the newer version I'm working on, some of it I haven't even seen. I don't get that glitch you pointed out on my setup. I actually think its referred to as a 'slime trail'. Regardless, I'll have to figure it out. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

HYMN DEADLINE - POST YOUR MAP NOW!

What's next? Once I get all the submissions I will create a new thread with an episode alpha, including level order (all maps will be included!) Then we play each others' maps. We give one another feedback and suggestions for improvement. Once we have given and gotten feedback we polish our maps for the final release!

Pending submissions:
-a.gamma
-EvilNed01
-Optimus

to dilks: i have to quote gez from the first page of this topic:

Gez said:

Since the intent is to be compatible with any limit-removing Heretic port, it is not possible to add ZDoom-exclusive content like this.

even if you use a lot of colored sectors maybe you can reduce it to be limit removing compatibile?

also a lot of slopes can be safely removed, they don't add anything to the map. the deep water effect can be obtained in vanilla using a couple of self referencing sectors, maybe they won't slow the player, but they will have the same effect. i think the start is visually the weakest part, the double chainman are really ugly to see, and the flags are misalligned. i liked the visuals of the church-library part. let me say it, the skybox don't really fit the level at all.

gameplay: pretty standard, quite all the things you make using acs (maulotaurus spawn, preferred music, specias, etc) can be done in vanilla: maulotaurus spawn can be done using a moster cage outside the map, and the spike lowered at maulotaurus death using the exm8 slot and the special 666.

to egregore: i only gave a first look to your map, and i didn't found the crossbow, so i had to kill everything with the staff, then i died. my impressions are very similar to a.gamma ones regarding the start, but i need to play it again to give any consistant feedback.

p.s. anyway all the other mappers interested have submitted a map or they geve up or something? since i don't see them in the pending list.

EDIT:

to Doommad: gorgeous, simply gorgeous; died once becouse i stopped to see the architecture... i wish i could do similar things in my maps, is really a solid map, i don't know what to say other than that.

Hi there!

Well, since I got a new job in the UK, having to relocate and all that, I got a bit late with my entry. Though, yesterday I started messing with it around again. It's not very special but I'll finish as much as I can today and post a version here in few hours from now, and hopefully later I can improve on that.

EvilNed01 and Optimus, thanks for your maps!

EvilNed01, your map plays well and there are some interesting ideas going on. With that said, a quick check in DB2 reveals a slew of bugs including overlapping linedefs and several unclosed sectors. Fixing these should be your first priority. If you are unsure how to fix these just ask, and we can guide you through the process.

Optimus, like you said, your map is clearly not finished, though playable, but since you submitted it anyways you have shown your commitment to this project and I will include you. Your going to have to play catch-up though. On the plus side, you are the only one besides me using the most current texture pack (sorry about all the different versions, I'm learning too!).

Regarding dilks entry: It is true that this project is suppose to be vanilla, extended limit, but dilks has already submitted a zdoom map. There are two things we could do with this. First, dilks, if you are willing to give us a vanilla version, that would be preferred, but if you are done mapping and your map is left as zdoom I am willing to include it under the condition that it is the last map. That way anyone playing the episode with a non-zdoom port will be able to enjoy all the other maps until reaching your map, which could cause a non-zdoom port crash.

Managed to slightly break one of my rising stairs while sorting out the bottom right room. Hopefully it doesn't take me too long to figure out.

//EDIT: Sorted already, yay.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the feedback!

Cacowad: the map wasn't 100% finished at the time of uploading so there are a few things that definitely need to be smoothed out. The flags at the start weren't misaligned for me, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for your time!

Egregore: As far as making the map vanilla compatible, I'm totally on board with that if you think it's good enough to be in the map pack. I appreciate your willingness to compromise, but I'd prefer to work within the same guidelines as everyone else. Also, to be honest, I'm not sure if this map is good enough to be the final level - another reason why going vanilla sounds like a good idea.

I'll keep working on it to make it more vanilla friendly!

-dilks

dilks said:

Cacowad: (...) The flags at the start weren't misaligned for me, I'll have to check that out.

If Cacowad was using the Blasphemer pack, that might explain it. Some of the flags definitely looked screwy in my own map when I was testing it with the current Blasphemer build.

I should clarify about the HYMN to Blasphemer conversion bit. These maps would get used for Blasphemer under these conditions:

A) The mapper who created the map allows it to be used for Blasphemer.

B) Blasphemer project lead Springy decides he wants to use any of them. He hasn't decided for sure, but he is currently leaning towards accepting only original maps intended for Blasphemer. It is becoming more likely that the only way Blasphemer would use these maps is if HYMN never gets an actual release (which is unlikely).

C) IF any of HYMN's maps ARE accepted, they are subject to a makeover, first, and foremost, using the Blasphemer texture pack, which converts original Heretic textures ONLY. Blasphemer also has its fair share of great new textures, including some bitchin' round archways. That means if your map relies on the HYMN texture pack it is in for a long and painful overhaul before it becomes 'Blasphemer' texture friendly.

D) It then could also be subjected to an item/enemy re-balancing, depending on how Blasphemer's episode/difficulty varies from HYMN.

Hope that clarifies the situation. Springy, if I have misunderstood your stance on the HYMN to Blasphemer conversation, please tell us your thoughts.

One last thought: If I do host another community project, it will be specifically FOR Blasphemer. If that happens it will use the Blasphemer texture/resource pack exclusively. Though, at this point most of the Blasphemer sprites are unfinished.

Yep, I agree with those points. As long as the map is altered so there is a distinct difference in layout as well. Considering that Blasphemer is a free replacement IWAD which means that projects for Heretic can be used with it (content such as Heretic textures etc. get swapped for Blasphemer's) if that made any sense.

dilks: no i was using zdoom 2.6.1 with zdl.exe. base: heretic.wad and HYMNTEX3.wad, if this happened only to me it may be an zdl related problem when pachting the files or something.

Doomad: you can jump off the wall just before the blue key area to return (and remain stuck) in the starting area.

egregore: this make sense to me.

Cacowad said:

Doomad: you can jump off the wall just before the blue key area to return (and remain stuck) in the starting area.

Cheers for the reminder. Was going to add some teleports both there and the area where the little lava pool is, because you can get stuck on that side too once the walls are raised. Also going to give the rocks a more natural appearance, rather than just a completely vertical wall around the area.

Damn, damn, damn! It took me way longer than expected to finish my map, but it is finally done!

Da Mapz!1!!11

It takes slot 6, since that's the spot I'm wishing for (also I'm too lazy to change it to slot 1).
Anyway, it is kind of monster heavy, but hopefully balanced enough to be fun.

Note: It uses HYMNTEX4a. so if you haven't downloaded it, be sure to, since my map relies on some textures added on version 4a.

a.gamma: i got some time to play your map, it took you a lot of effort didn't it? it is really good, on hmp there is an overabundance of ammo, and there was only 2 situation that make drop my health below 50%, otherwise it is a well planned and well executed map. what else? i liked the secret exit :P

it reminds me a lot the ol' good heretic for item and monster placement, that is good.

the swicth into the house in the yellow key area seems to be non operational.

i liked pretty everything of this map, the atmosphere, the secrets, this don't appens very often when i play heretics maps.

i am going to replay soon all maps on this tread on uv when i will have some time and post the results.

Okay! I know that you guys haven't heard from me in a week or so, but I've been busy, both with real life, and with this project.

It was brought to my attention that the most recent texture set is STILL not vanilla compatible! So after some hard work by an anonymous contributor we have the most compatible texture set yet! There are also a few more 'secret' contributions so it looks like this project will now be spilling into two episodes!

I am going to take some time to compile all of our levels into working order, based off of size, enemy count, and difficulty. I will also be adding this new compatible texture pack, so we will finally have a working alpha release.

Once I do this I plan on making an 'alpha release thread', but before I do I want some community input:

I was thinking about renaming this project. How does everyone/anyone/specifically you feel about renaming this project:

The Realm of Parthoris: A Heretic Community Project

What does this title mean? Parthoris is the world (or realm) where Heretic takes place. It is basically an open ended title. Perhaps we can eventually turn this project into a series, and I feel this title would be better suited for that. Anyways, tell me what you think, should we stick with HYMN or go with The Realm of Parthoris.

Finally, does anyone want to make a title screen, both for the .WAD itself and for the new thread. Whatever the art is, it should have whatever title we settle on. PM if your interested in creating a title screen.

I like the sound of HYMN, personally. The newly suggested name sounds a bit generic in comparison.

Seconding HYMN. It's simple, and it'll make it easier to talk about when it comes out!