Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Try to vary heights in the skyline. Having the top of the building perfectly aligned to the top of the perfectly flat mountains is odd. You can take advantage of ZDoom features like portals to have the skyline in another sector, so you can just change floor levels over there to bring some variety. Do not hesitate also to use slopes to make natural terrain more natural-looking, as well as to make building roofs less staircasy (as in the last shot).

Did someone say custom HUD party? :P

http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/WAD/j-fancystatusbar.pk3

Nothing ground-breaking. Just something you'll see me using in my streams. It's a smoother version of the Doom HUD, which just the graphics replaced. Only just made replacements for the numbers and I'm not sure if I like them, but they're there and easily removeable if you can't stand them. :P

ravagefox: YAAAAAAY. Always makes me happy to see that project. Amazing stuff. :D :D :D

rf` said:

Still not dead.
Actually I could use some constructive criticism on some of the buildings (especially the Inn set in the mountain).

Daggerfall sprites and textures! Yes!... Great, now i'm going to get into that game again.

scalliano said:

It's happening ...

... to be impressive.

Until Zdoom supports linked portals, you should probably stick to 3d floors for any structures that you can travel between anyway. :/

Honestly, I'd probably use 3D floors for real 3D geometry, and linked portals for non-euclidean geometry instead. :P

I'm at it again.

I love the thought behind crafting a first-level scenario. What to give the player, what to deny them, what challenges to give with so little... and so forth. Drip-feeding the various elements of the game, see if it can remain interesting.

Although I'm targeting chocolate Doom with this set of levels (in itself a more balanced remake of my old Murderous Intent; kinda), I may try for a MAPINFO'd episodic structure because of my love for making first-levels. Although I always make sure my levels are pistol-startable, I'd like more control over the bigger picture like that.

I really wish there were an elegant way to force a pistol start on each map. Unfortunately, I don't know of any.

I like your screenshot. I'm a little hesitant about those stairs. I could never get that texture to align properly with flats; although maybe you've had better luck than I. What I can see of the outdoor part looks pretty intriguing, too.

schwerpunk said:

I really wish there were an elegant way to force a pistol start on each map. Unfortunately, I don't know of any.

I don't want a pistol start every map, just every seven. What I'm thinking of doing is making a WAD with two versions of every seventh level; one vanilla/choc one with a suicide exit (nasty but gets the job done) and one referenced by MAPINFO with a normal exit. So I can use a MAPINFO lump to get my episodes and also kinda get them in vanilla/chocolate Doom.

schwerpunk said:

I like your screenshot. I'm a little hesitant about those stairs. I could never get that texture to align properly with flats; although maybe you've had better luck than I. What I can see of the outdoor part looks pretty intriguing, too.

Yeah, it's no dice if you're aligning east-to-west (and vice versa) lines. This set aligns alright, no guarantees the rest of them will though.

My outdoor area needs some work, and I can detail it well but I'm waiting until I'm 100% happy with the map; so if any big changes are needed I can do them without risking VPO, and then the finalised layout can be detailed.

ComicMischief said:

one vanilla/choc one with a suicide exit (nasty but gets the job done)

Do that and Capellan won't play it.

Eris Falling said:

Do that and Capellan won't play it.

In which case Capellan isn't invited to my "Episodic gameplay allows for amazing balance and I love it" party. More pistol-start punch for me.

ComicMischief said:

. . . I'm waiting until I'm 100% happy with the map . . .

Hah! So in other words it will never be released. At least if you're anything like me.

MAP01s are the most fun to make. I'd make an entire megawad of MAP01s if i could but you'd basically be shooting imps and zombiemen with a pistol the whole time.

An entire set of MAP01-alikes? Do it! See if you can keep it interesting somehow, that's the challenge.

Myself, I'm doing the 7-map episodes because I think that's a good length; allows me to play tease-and-denial with the player and weapons. In Sinister Intention I had the player tackle an Archvile in MAP02 with just a shotgun (unless secrets were found, granted they weren't super-hidden) with just a 32 unit-wide lighting structure for cover. This kind of thing is what I like to do, play games with a very limited amount of pieces and see what scenarios I can create. It's exhilarating as a mapper to do so.

Instead of aligning these stairs to the flat I would give them all different offsets so that they would look less repetitive. Here is a bad example:

(not cool <---> cool)

Memfis said:

Instead of aligning these stairs to the flat I would give them all different offsets so that they would look less repetitive. Here is a bad example:

http://thumb1.wuala.com/previewImage/kuchitsu/Doom_SCREEN/kuchitsu.wad/bad-good.jpg
(not cool <---> cool)

That's not bad advice, Memfis, but I think it applies more to rough, or organic textures, like what you're using in your screenshot. It's less relevant to more factory-made looking textures, like ComicMischief is using, because metal stairs would be repetitive, whereas the pock marks and other imperfections on concrete stairs wouldn't be.

40oz said:

MAP01s are the most fun to make. I'd make an entire megawad of MAP01s if i could but you'd basically be shooting imps and zombiemen with a pistol the whole time.

Hmm, maybe we should start a contest similar to the E1M1 remakes John Romero judged a long time ago? Just a thought would be quite interesting.

EvilNed said:

He/she/it

I don't think that you should deal with the second "gender" in this case ;)

How are you supposed to know that you have too shoot at a computer panel in that room anyway? I hated this map as a kid.

Thought to test how some old model looked as a sprite. The eyes, tips of the ears and the tail needed some drawing. I think it fits better to the surrounding textures than the more cartoony sprites. I think I would still draw the simpler item/etc things.

I also experimented a bit with drawing the colormap. I did a new palette, then I tried to get the colormap that desaturation effect, but whatever I did, all the colors faded too nicely to the darkness. Better just to draw it then...

Oh yeah, definitely looks better than the previous sprites. (Not to say those were bad, this is just better)

Since it'll probably be another 10 years before I do this again, I might as well post in this thread while I have the chance.

Comments / advice / abuse welcome :)