Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomUK

What cheats are being used here?

Description of what this quirky tv show called Gamesmaster was for the benefit of non-British Doomers, or those too young to remember it.

With that aside, take a look at this Doom 2 challenge that was filmed as part of the "Gore Special" episode sometime in the 90's:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=725g4JwmV3o#t=452s

Obviously it's been not-so-cleverly edited so that his playthrough of MAP03 and MAP10 appear to be the same level. What's not so clear to me is how his health is reduced one moment but not the next when he takes damage - noticeable in the final section of the video when he's surrounded by zombiemen. What trickery was used to achieve this?

DoomUK said:

What trickery was used to achieve this?

They probably filmed MAP03 for a longer while, and then just put gameplay from MAP10 over the one from MAP03 while keeping MAP03's status bar. Makes sense if you consider the following: The health stays the same after the cut to MAP10, at that point in MAP03 there's only a few zombies and their damage output fits with the rate he's taking damage after the cut and that part in MAP03 is really boring to show, so they just filmed some more exciting footage instead.

Must be the one with a chainsaw that used ammo.

Edit: Yup, that's the one. Also notice how he's obviously being pwned by imp fireballs but does not flinch.

Overall, really sad video. Both for the FORCED and PAINFUL editing, as well as the totally nerdy appearance of the (faux) "video game champion", which seems to sum up the worst stereotypes of gamers. Had I seen this in its day, I would have written the show an Angry Letter with Final Doom Rage Straight From 1996 ;-)

Also, timeline,and timeline squared and cubed. I'm surprised at you, DoomUK. You, as an "old fart" around here, should be well aware of this travesty. Unless it's one of those "so the young can learn and the old can remember" instances...those have their places too.

Maes said:

totally nerdy appearance of the (faux) "video game champion", which seems to sum up the worst stereotypes of gamers.

Well, this was filmed in the 90's, before games were considered fashionable and cool, and long before they were the preserve of attractive, stylish people with perfect teeth living in designer houses, according to Wii commercials and the like.

Anyway... yeah. The discrepancies between the health and ammo counters and what's happening elsewhere should totally give it away. Apparently I need to pay more attention to things :(

Even back then, I think I'd have found something odd about the lack of damage being taken. The map switching I guess they could have gotten away with (if nobody knew about the game prior), but the sudden switch between taking and not taking damage on MAP10.....urgh!

I never knew Gamemaster painfully edited their 'challenge' segments until now.

Jesus Christ, look at that editing.

And he's been using IDKFA. Tut-fucking-tut. Fuck you GamesMaster, I used to like you. You used to be cool.

Yeah, we had an earlier discussion about this a couple of years ago. It's awful.

It's even better if you start a bit further back and hear about how he's a "Doom expert recently voted the greatest Doom player in the world" (even though he blatantly hasn't ever played the game before).

Heh, I used to watch Gamesmaster. I even remember watching this episode. I also remember thinking that the Doom challenge was awful in many ways.

how did they show how many deaths on the status bar wtf what cheat code is that

40oz said:

how did they show how many deaths on the status bar wtf what cheat code is that

I believe it's called "video overlay".

GhostlyDeath said:

You should find this guy and ask him if he still thinks he's a Doom God.

He must pass himself as CoD champion by now.