Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

Dehacked patches and licensing?

This is meant to remove blood, gore, and demonic imagery from Freedoom. This was made so that a fairly-clean Free Software single player fps can
be used. If you aren't a Free Software user, use Chex Quest instead.

Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?blq0rp86hszbor8

Screenshots will be posted shortly.

Original post:

These may be dumb questions, but I am curious. Are dehacked patches licensed in any way? I'm simply talking about patches that change effects. Are they non-commercial? If they are supposed to have a license and they don't have any, can they be included legally in, say, freedoom? Are there ANY restrictions in the use of dehacked patches that don't say anything about whether they can be redistributed without attribution or anything like that?

All works are copyrighted by default, so unless the author specifically grants the right to reuse it (either granting it to everyone, or granting permission to you on request), you shouldn't.

I PMed the guy about the specific dehacked patch. The wad, if released, will use a bsd style license.

"bsd style license" sounds great. May I ask which wad you're talking about?

You really wanna know?

The dehacked patch I wanted to use is Linguica's noblood.deh.

Basically, this mod is meant to be a free software alternative to nosatan.wad, nopent.exe and chex quest; designed for use in freedoom (of course)

I can hear the jeering already.....

Danfun64 said:

You really wanna know?

The dehacked patch I wanted to use is Linguica's noblood.deh.

Basically, this mod is meant to be a free software alternative to nosatan.wad, nopent.exe and chex quest; designed for use in freedoom (of course)

I can hear the jeering already.....

No, it's a good idea. I'd also suggest a wad that puts some clothes on monsters, and maybe lightening the skin of imps and chaingunners so the game wouldn't be racist. That would work well in another reedition of doom. Because AFAIK everyone is dissatisfied with BFG edition edits. And while we are at it, someone should make sure that BFG isn't refferred anywhere in game in other way that "big fluffy gun".

Now I'm not sure if the look of cyberdemon isn't quite rude for impaired people without certain limbs.

Crap, now I realised that the doom 2 also adds mocking the act of birth and trivialising reincarnation to the list.

And the berserk in map09 is close enough to the starting platform to raise the red cross issue again. Good thing that only 1-sided lines are marked red or it would be possible even without!

Wow, that's a whole lotsa work before another rerelease.

And lots of nonsense offtopic too, actually.

Don't do this. That is, "reuse/recycle" a thread by editing the first post to change it into a completely different direction. It makes replies into non sequiturs and causes totally unnecessary confusion. If you have a totally new train of thought, then make a new thread. If the discussion follows on from the existing discussion, make a new post.