Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

So you think you're fast?

Italian 3G Wireless Internet (3-Italia):

Oh and it's my 10000th post....yay.

EDGE "broadband" internet here (pre-3G), with a 5 Eur/1 GB prepaid plan. That's what I've been using the last 4 months, as it's too much of a commitment risk and a bureaucratic iter to get a normal landline. Location detection also fails big time, as I'm nowhere near Athens (just the telco's server that takes care of data traffic is).

Basically it's like having 4 dial-up/GPRS connections in parallel. I won't be winning any ZDaemon deathmatches with those pings anytime soon, but 'm surprised that it was possible to have a somewhat fluid Skype conference (with video, too!).

Oh good, a bump. Well Maes, since I've moved house, I'll leave you with the title of slowest DW internet.

I've never seen numbers this high before..

I actually clocked 2.93 on a Berlin server. What will it take to get to 3!?

Maes said:

EDGE "broadband" internet here (pre-3G), with a 5 Eur/1 GB prepaid plan. . .

. . . Basically it's like having 4 dial-up/GPRS connections in parallel.

You at least have a faster upload speed than my IINET connection from 4 years ago, when I was the slowest on the forum.

Sure, I'll chip in. I just recently moved out of my parents' basement, which meant I have to start paying for my own Internet. I decided to splurge a little bit.

Old:

New:

In spite of the insane speeds, most websites can't keep up the pace, so it feels pretty similar to what I'd already had. The websites that can though, well, they load practically instantly. It's great.

Dear god that is fast.

And for kicks, me to Russia.

Turns out I did the same thing months ago. Funny thing is that I picked Russia then as well. Bell sucks.

For fun, here's a server in Russia:

Upload: 2.2Mbps
Download: 4.8Mbps

Good enough for my needs.

Just trying out a X200 USB "3G" modem I found at a flea market

FWIW, I'll mention that using mobile broadband for internet access results in hilarious mistakes in "user geolocation", which shows why IP-based location is not a reliable method.

I moved one step closer to optical fibre on Friday, it's now a matter of deciding how fast I can afford to go then arrange for the Network Termination Device to be installed. Broadband's still fairly expensive in Australia so it's unlikely I'll be signing up for the full 100/40Mb.

It's incredible what benefits switching to 3G brings...for one, ZDaemon actually gets playable ;-)

Turned out I had a SIM card from another operator I never used, and which happened to have 600 MB free traffic per month AND 3G coverage, and I missed it all this time O_o

WHAT? that is much faster than I expected... cool to have this only for $15 per month.

Why do I have 0ms to Prague? (50miles) is it bugged?

To London:

I do not uderstand why is the upload so enormous when connecting to the London..

It seems that most of commercial ISP provide much slower upload than download for its users.. how sad.. my upload is almost always on par with my download.. and then there is even this weird case when it is three times bigger.