Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fen boi

Is there a Win32 port with HOM/VPO?

I'm trying to make my maps DOOM2.exe compatible, but after a pc upgrade my sblive doens'nt work properly with dos games (IRQ problems, causes lots of stuttering and slowdown).

Do any of the windows ports exhibit the same bugs as the original exe's?

Fixed it, just a case of try every possible motherboard slot for each card until it works.

Hahaha, that's a new one on me. I'd have gone into the BIOS and looked for settings controlling the various slots.
For DOS game compatibility, on my Win98 system, SB Live!, I have the sbeinit.com active in my autoexec.bat, as well as the "set blaster" environmental variable defined...you know, A240 I2 D0 H7 P330 H6 or whatever your settings are, and config the DOS game to match. All seems happy.

Yeah, everything worked fine with my Geforce2. But since upgrading to a Geforce4 things have changed (not just a large framerate improvement).

I had to install the 4in1 driver for the via chipset on the mboard to prevent lockups, and the Geforce4 hates having anything else on its IRQ (both it and the soundcard were on IRQ10). My bios is passworded by the supplier, its to stop people fiddling with clock settings etc (warranty void if tampered with).

honestly i got to the point where i made a system for older DOS games. mainly cause the newer shit dont like DOS and drivers are getting harder to find. i had a similar problem with the first win95 system i owned. it ended up i needed to change an irq to one the game would use. windows can be a bitch cause it is automaticly done for u. i have had to change almost every irq/DMA setting to get it to work perfectly in DOS games and still run in windows. be carful to aviod conflicts when changeing irq DMA or other settings

For one, you may try DOOM95. It doesn't crash on a VPO, instead it doesn't render the visplanes (causing a HOM-style effect).

For another, which is better, use PrBoom. If you type in the cheat code "IDRATE" in-game, you will get a display of the visplanes, segs and fps.

Make sure the visplane count never goes much higher than 100. Also make sure the segs don't go too high. It's seems to be a combination of those two that cause visplane overflows.