Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

do you need any more midis? I am feeling pretty good and could easily write some songs quickly
if you don't have anything on the secret spots I would love to make some levels for that if you don't mind the maps getting a bit crazy

nub_hat said:

do you need any more midis? I am feeling pretty good and could easily write some songs quickly

My bad blood map doesn't have a midi so you'd be welcome to do one for that if you like. Its a techbase with caves that lead to hell, here's a link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3ex9lu6eessjr1y

I'm also working on a hell map which might be ready soon. Big caverns, lots of monsters, chaotic and non-linear.

Ok, scrap the 20 map wad idea. I just thought some of us might be getting bored with the project and want a release asap but if we want the megawad more we'll go with that then. With that I'll make the necessary additions to the opening post as we've got a few new maps already.

With the megawad plan still in place, here's where we are at:

MAP01 Outpost by PRIMEVAL
MAP02 "Admin" by Jaws In Space -no midi-
MAP03 Water Treatment Plant by mrthejoshmon -no midi-
MAP04 Factory Factor by EvilNed -no midi-
Map05 Hazard Facility by kildeth
Map06 Sewage Processing by Arjak
Map07 Service Station Sick by EvilNed -no midi-
Map08 Suspend by Fuzzyfireball
Map09 Hell's Furnace by EvilNed -no midi-
Map10 Phobus Anomaly by Phobus
Map11 Roundtable (*) by EvilNed -no midi-
Map12 Teleportarium by Paul D
Map13 Warehouse District by sgt Dopey
Map14 Ring of Gyges by Stygian
Map15 The Prisoner by cannonball
Map16 Man Cub Up by EvilNed -no midi-
Map17 Power Core by cannonball
Map18 Bad Blood by mouldy -no midi-
Map19 Sewer City by EvilNed -no midi-
Map20 Extorta Nova (**) by fiend-o-hell
Map?? Incubator (***) by mrthejoshmon -no midi-
Map?? Castle Bloodletting (***) by Arjak -no midi-
Map?? "Comp" (*) (***) by mrthejoshmon -no midi-

(*) Filler map that may be replaced with something else before final release.
(**) Needs work before final release or will face disclusion.
(***) Complete, although not included in 4.1 release. Will be included in future project compilations.
"Parentheses" indicate that a better/more complete final name for the map will be needed before release.

Oh yeah asterisks are these things >> *

Whoops haha! Sorry I'm up at 5.52am and my brain is still scrambled.

No problem.

I'd like to get Immaterium done for this wad though, I'm being really stuck right now, but I think if I could get some outside help I could get that finished before June.

(Meant to edit, not post the whole maplist again... I should go back to bed seriously...) -_-

Edit: As for 'Immaterium', do you need someone to help finish the map for you? I would have liked to have done that for you awhile back when you were asking for help but I was, and still am, tied down by several other maps ('Sensorium', 'Sacrament of Wilderness', my own half finished scraps) that have been giving me grief over a long time period and if I tried to help someone else out with their map, chances are that map would never be finished. That being said though, I'm nearly finished with 'Sensorium' now so maybe I could work something out before the end of the project. I'm not sure what would need work in 'Immaterium' though.

And because I originally thought I'd be done with this map by the end of this week (now), here's an update on Sensorium. It's still not finished, there are texture misalignments from upscaling, you can get stuck in places and the gameplay is kinda just sketched in and unbalanced, but you can actually finish it this time and access all areas so it'll give a good taste of what the map should look like when it's done.

Edit: Oh and it has a midi but I haven't included that with the file... I'll be sure to add that when I'm actually done with this thing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?itlj7o2q1zm5l83

kildeth said:

I'm not sure what would need work in 'Immaterium' though.

Well,for one, it's only half done. So, there's that.

I'm with the others that we should keep working until we have 32 maps. While it might be obnoxious not to have a released product after 1.5 years, community projects always take a damn long time to produce, especially when you're having a bunch of relatively new mappers throwing stuff together.

On my end I probably won't get Leaden Delve in for the first NOVA but I'm trying my damndest to finish up the other two maps. I still think when June rolls around we'll probably have 32 maps so it's not like we have to worry or anything.

On the topic of midis, I have a few suggestions.

Service Station Sick - http://www.mediafire.com/?945qymrc11jqy5p
Hell's Furnace - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/ingame4.mid
Man Cup Up - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/sangy2.mid
Castle Bloodletting - http://www.mediafire.com/?bio318ub6x209h2

Don't forget kildeth that EvilNed claimed this (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/qf4crlab.mid) for Sewer City

nub_hat said:

Actually, we need some relatively quick, action-packed midis for the first few maps, as all the songs contributed so far are more dark and foreboding.

kildeth said:

"Parentheses" indicate that a better/more complete final name for the map will be needed before release.

They're actually quotation marks FYI :P

I think we could just go with your ideas for the midis dobugabumaru, unless someone else has other plans. Thanks for helping keep track of things, I was going to get to the midis once I'd finished Sensorium properly but that might be another couple of weeks depending on what happens to me IRL.

Quotation marks! I thought so, when Paul D said parentheses I was thinking to myself "Wait, he's right in that they're definetly not asterisks, but I remember being told in my early school days that those things were called 'talking marks'". I'll have to go fix the first post again to avoid looking like a total boob, and include the MIDI data.

Edit: First post has been updated with the new info. We need midis for 7 more of the 23 maps we have so far by my calculations. That and we already have one for Hush which isn't even released yet.

Dang, get to year two college English and I still don't know what grammar marks are called.

Regarding music, I'm creating a pretty cool Doomified remix of the tune "American Patrol", It should be done within the next couple weeks or sooner.

But yeah, as of currently we got a whole lot of hell level musics, but we have hardly any hell levels in the wad.

Also, I'd like to change Teleportarium's music at some point again, The one by nub_hat I picked last time really doesn't fit the level anymore.

ok here are some midis
I think this one was overlooked it would fit great in a hell map
http://www.mediafire.com/?v061x6yu0cbmv0b

I posted this one last page but it should fit into this fast paced midi category you want more of, if you missed it heres the link again
http://www.mediafire.com/?945qymrc11jqy5p

3 songs I had sitting that should work great, metal2 is pretty fast, metal4 is slower but should work for any map mid/late and worm2 is a cool song that should spice up any hell map
http://www.mediafire.com/?43epcac8q09v2xb

here's the song I wrote just now it is pretty fast paced, made with bad blood in mind but if it doesn't work it should easily fit into a different level
http://www.mediafire.com/?m4qv44pvvnhyf9c

god damn this map (bad blood) is pretty hardcore on uv, I ran out of ammo and got eaten to death by cacos was fun though gotta try that again

edit: lol i get ambushed so much man
I was stuck for 5-8 min looking for the red key despite having cleared the room it was in, not sure if this is just me being stupid but if you could make the key more visible it'd be cool

Played through "Comp". Feedback:

This is a really enjoyable, tight series of skirmishes. Ammo and health are far more infrequent now and the start is a bit tricky since you can easily waste your bullets and be forced to some fisticuffs with hell's nasties. The starting area is fine but you're pretty muched damned if you go left first in the crate arena (which looks and plays excellent by the way). To rectify that a bit I'd put a shotgun here just so the player has a chance to survive on the side of the map (since they'll be drawn to running on the boxes presumably).

Not sure I like the AV fight past the YK door because it's a pretty big cover shooter battle, since he can't leave and all he likes to do is rez the hitscanners. To the right side of that room, you have a baron in this room that can't get down the stairs, rendering him pretty ineffective and a bit time sink. Replace him with a revenant and it should move the player around a bit more. You also have a medikit placed in a peculiar position that should probably be moved out to where the chaingunner is in the starting area. Also, near that are you have a neat little room with a baron who is facing away from the player, guarding... nothing. Put the SSG in that room instead of leaving it a secret, forcing the player to tango with him to improve their arsenal.

Out in the final area, the baron protecting the armory is a good idea, but in that room you have a little hole the player can drop into which looks silly. A light decoration would go better there. That's about the last complaint I have... It's a visually impressive level with a much smoother, coherent and thoughtful design than your other two maps IMO. Definitely shows your progression.

=======

Got a music request Paul D. I really like ohno2 and still want to use it as the MAP31/Ending music, but as it is right now it's D_READ_M, which also fits well there... except you don't get to listen to the whole thing. I think it'd be neat to loop the first eleven seconds for the D_READ_M as a miniature version, but I'm not well-versed when it comes to midi programs. I'd really like it if you could provide an edit for me.

Thanks to nub_hat for the additional tunes; great to always hear new music! I actually suggested Candilen for one of EvilNed's early maps, as I the mid-section doesn't quite strike me as a hell theme. That, and we have like 3 hell midis lined up already with 0 hell maps (without midis already) produced so far :P

Comp - nubhat2 (http://www.mediafire.com/?v061x6yu0cbmv0b) - because the slow pace of the song fits the plodding interior and decayed exterior.

Factory Factor - flatstomp (http://www.mediafire.com/?m4qv44pvvnhyf9c) - the repetitive, pushing nature of the song lends itself well to something like a metallic factory, not necessarily mouldy's map.

Metal2 either goes with Bad Blood or Teleportarium, can't really decide. I'm kind of privy to Metal4 for Teleportarium and Metal2 for Bad Blood, but Metal4's "chorus" feels too upbeat for a sinister hell-station.

Teleportarium's old track could probably go to Admin, due to the mostly laid back nature of it.

Maybe later this week or next I'll just make a new track for D_READ_M altogether. I think I have some ideas.

Re: infomap pic / title etc. etc.

What filetype and dimensions do they need to be? I could probably whip something simple enough up.

@ EvilNed - I'm not sure. But you could use a program like SlumpEd to extract the information from one of the iwads to see the size and dimensions of everything.

Edit: mrjoshmon and I are likely going to be doing the new graphics for Nova's status bar/HUD/whatever you call it so you don't have to worry about that, it's already being covered.

dobugabumaru: I have taken into consideration the improvements you suggested and added them in, as well as a few of my own little improvements such as the thickness of small doors from 32 units to 16, (Jimi in a different thread brought them up) as well as little changes.
some of the changes are:
archvile is now a hellknight
Baron at stairs is now a revy
light placed in corner of ammo/weapon room
a few hidden small HOMs fixed
SSG guarded by baron (on table in front of him.)
A few texture changes in small areas
small doors are now 16 units thick rather than 32
2 outdoor UAC signs in final courtyard.
pipe outside exit just to reinforce the sewer entrance look.
added shotgun to recommended area
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?jd0p2a8rmxo6r31

nub_hat said:

god damn this map (bad blood) is pretty hardcore on uv, I ran out of ammo and got eaten to death by cacos was fun though gotta try that again

edit: lol i get ambushed so much man
I was stuck for 5-8 min looking for the red key despite having cleared the room it was in, not sure if this is just me being stupid but if you could make the key more visible it'd be cool

Yeah it can be tough that map, I have a habit of creeping the difficulty up while i'm playtesting because I get so used to where everything is. My next map is going to get some complaints I think..

See what you mean about the red key, its on a pool of red blood with some red blood dripping behind it. I will change it to blue key, that should help makee it stand out.

Hey guys I've been trying to follow along with the development of this wad ever since I gave you my map, by the way It's full name is Administration Center. I feel bad because I made that map in about 8 hours when I heard that you might be releasing the wad before you had all 32 levels, I will make something much better for Nova 2.

I listened to all the midis today & I think brace2 could work for my map. It's nice and fast paced, & really catchy, I've had it stuck in my head all day.

I've downloaded the latest alpha & played through the first 6 levels so far. They were all very enjoyable, & I find it surprising that these maps were made by people new to map making. Also I think it's awesome that I've made it through the first 6 levels and there is still no super shotgun, most megawads give it to you right away, but here you rally have to go deep into the wad to get it. One thing I will mention is that change in difficulty between level 2 & level 3 is pretty large, I think it would be best if someone could make a map to go inbetween them.

By the way are there plans to change the story text?

Re; the SSG, I noticed that too when playing through it and I actually kinda liked it. It made you miss it and then once you got it you felt really good.

However, you can get it on MAP06. It's in a secret.

^ Roundtable (MAP11) will probably not be in the final release.

I think brace2 could work for my map

You could use it if you want, I just thought that brace2 would work better with a uh, longer and meatier map. That and the midi has a building tension going along with it, something that Administration Center doesn't necessarily deliver since it's a more straightforward affair. I don't think anyone else will necessarily care as much so remember that this is all my opinion. If ya like it you can go ahead and claim it.

EDIT: Two pics of my maps.

Immundum
http://i.imgur.com/45smMk6.png

MAP 31 - Iron Exuviae
http://i.imgur.com/tcTL3zw.png

I don't think we should be afraid of using midis for more than one map.

Also,

Roundtable (Map11) is only gonna be in the release if we're standing there with our pants down by the end of June with only 31 maps.

Jaws In Space said:

By the way are there plans to change the story text?

Yes. But I think we should wait until we got the 32 maps in order before we start tying a loose story around them which is what the story text will likely entail.

In order news, mrjoshmon has given me a preliminary design for a new HUD to go with the final release of NOVA. He didn't seem to impressed with it (and I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here) but I think it could be touched up and made to look quite cool.

Here's the link to the HUD (it's in wad file form)
http://www.mediafire.com/?8fv9xoym52t77de

I like the dark red design, things I would consider changing though are the shadows under the red numbers (should be black rather than grey) and names should be added for the different ammo types like in the original Doom HUD.

dobugabumaru said:

Roundtable (MAP11) will probably not be in the final release.

I wouldn't mind if it stayed, although I wasn't sure if the exit was functional as I couldn't seem to leave the map. :/ If it doesn't make the NOVA 1 cut perhaps it could be polished up for NOVA 2?

EvilNed said:

Re; the SSG, I noticed that too when playing through it and I actually kinda liked it. It made you miss it and then once you got it you felt really good.

However, you can get it on MAP06. It's in a secret.

I also like the BFG secret in one of the earlier maps and the fact that you can get it before the Plasma Rifle. I think the haphazard mapping scheme we've been doing has worked well for us. In some wad projects I've noticed that they have all the maps planned so somebody knows when they are making MAP11 rather than MAP29 and the weapon placements function accordingly which could lead to predictability that isn't present in a project like Nova.

If Roundtable doesn't make Nova 1, I'll remake it much of it for Nova 2. I got other plans for it.

Worked on my new hellmap yesterday. Will be my first real foray into bigger exterior areas.

That map 31 pic looks lovely.

I'm not a fan of that HUD. Besides the red being far too distracting next to the generally subtle colours of the game itself, the high saturation and contrast makes it look like something from a spectrum game.

Also this:

I am of the opinion that any colour for the HUD background should be kept subtle or stick to grey tones. The best (ie least offensive) custom HUDS i have seen tend to go this route, with colour being reserved for the numbers.

Ok, here's a new hell map for people to test, its called The Seventh Circle:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m8m10mb6gqj1f5l

It has 600 monsters and no difficulty settings so will be a bit on the hard side. I'm particularly interested if people have trouble working out where to go and what to do, as it can be a bit open and convaluted in places. There are 2 keys but both are optional (though if you didn't find them by the end you might wish you had).

Still need to work on difficulties and automap, at the moment I need to know how it plays.

mrthejoshmon I think there's too much contrast with the black and grey stuff, could make the black brighter or the grey darker and I am not a fan of the solid brown text

mouldy this is such an asshole map but I love this stuff
the monsters appearing out of thin air when i was walking on the goo made me laugh
feel like a challenge has been laid down with the ridiculous amount of monsters I am having fun
still playing it I'll edit this with feedback
so far i think it would fit around the last few maps it is really tough

ok needs more ammo I think, shot all the cacos and had no shots left

put a rl at spawn? would definitely be useful