Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Hadephobia

Capellan said:

My grandfather built a yacht out of concrete. On its maiden voyage it nearly sank a Chinese junk. True story.

Of course, it was like a 40ft boat, not a monster tanker.

Maybe the concrete in the map is supposed to be pykrete? :)

Who was at fault in that wreck? ;)

You make a good point. In fact, I'm currently reading The Living Great Lakes, by Jerry Dennis, which uses a sailing trip from Traverse City, Michigan, to Maine, in the concrete-hulled schooner Malabar, as a jumping-off point for fantastic tales of lake lore, complete with the area's geological history. Further, if memory serves, an actual concrete freighter was built in World War Two.

Well, I did say such ships were rare, not non-existant. :D

And pykrete works for me.

BTW, surfing season is on in the Great Lakes. They're already catching 8-footers on Lake Michigan. Damn, I need a surfboard!

SteveD said:
Who was at fault in that wreck? ;)

It was a narrow miss (hence the "nearly" part of "nearly wrecked").

My grandfather would have been at fault, if a collision had happened. Whenever something crazy was going on, it was usually safe to assume the blame lay with him. :)

Capellan said:

It was a narrow miss (hence the "nearly" part of "nearly wrecked").

My grandfather would have been at fault, if a collision had happened. Whenever something crazy was going on, it was usually safe to assume the blame lay with him. :)

Thanks for the clarification. That's funny as hell. ;D

08 - SUB-STATION
...what you expected to be the mine had been now been converted to a station. Evidence of a working mine such as cart tracks and dug rock walls survive but built over it is a terminal for a train line. It appears the UAC had exhausted the precious metal and dug deeper still for more.

Hitting switches opens up the base and eventually you find the train to the new mine. You hit the switch to start the engine and hold tight as you set it to full speed...

MAP08: This one is a pretty short affair featuring only one significant battle. A short level is a nice contrast to the lengthy MAP07, but I’m not sure this one pulls its weight by the end. Visuals are good again although I got lost looking for the blue key, not realizing that there was a tunnel in a wall past the nukage… there’s a small light to indicate where to go, but I feel like there could’ve been a more obvious way to lead the player there. The blue key battle is frantic initially, but the chaingunners pull the baron away from the player and as long as they stay put, there’s plenty of health left to survive.

I suppose maps being made in a week do lend to some shorter development times, but after the meaty length of the other maps (barring MAP01), I guess the abruptness of this one just comes as a surprise to me.

Map 07 -- Deadly Exploitation - 100% Kills / 100% Secrets
After the unusual settings of the previous two maps, we find ourselves back on dry land with this, a more conventional earthbase/industrial complex. Like Cell's previous map, it's easy on the eyes, although not as striking despite the more varied and open setting, largely on account of a pretty uniform light level, outside of the relative dimness of the cave with the red door and the exit tunnel. I don't quite agree with Magnus that the texture variation indoors is excessive enough to detract from the coherency of the setting (largely on account of pretty serviceable color coordination), with one major exception: the short corridor directly behind the yellow door. It uses something like six different wall textures (more if you count the inset computer panels) in a short hallway that takes the marine all of 1.5 seconds to walk through (or it would if not for the monsters). Aesthetics aside, it plays nicely, balancing relatively congested indoor encounters featuring several mid-tier/high-HP monsters with more freestyle outdoor forays, as Cannonball notes. Progression is arranged fairly well, with a steady 1-2-1-2 variation between the aforementioned two combat types, given that you periodically return to the courtyard for skull keys, and then use them in the base or the cave, one after the other. Given that it's a fairly small map, this also helps the space feel well-used and relevant. My favorite area was the warehouse section with the central tracking/control room, as the irregular terrain (stairs, crates of various sizes, etc.) and fairly high monster concentration/variation for such a relatively small area make for some surprisingly nuanced little fights. Despite how relatively short/linear the map is, there's also some room for variation in approach, as well. For example, if you like the map enough to replay it, try ignoring all the monsters that teleport outdoors until near the end, when you can leap to the rocket launcher--it's fun! I'm back on track with secrets here, too, as I found them all this time....not really sure when/how the megasphere actually became accessible, though.

Edit: Oh yeah, being able to see the ship you arrived on in the distance beyond the iron fence if you can get a decent vantage point was a nice touch.

Map08
A very short map, making me wonder if I was playing Hadephobia or had accidentally loaded Scythe :)

Also not a map I enjoyed very much, though I can't put my finger on exactly why. Not terribly interesting environments, maybe? There was nothing that I could point to as bad, just nothing I could point to as good or memorable.

MAP08 - Sub-Station by Vaporizer

NB: The OP listing is mis-spelt. Makes it look like it's a map set a tanning salon :-)

This one may be described as a breather map, or less kindly as a filler map, due to it being small, relatively straightforward and of no real bearing on the story.

It is quite a nice map though. It looks better I think than Hull Revealled - partly because the lighting is better and partly because Vaporizer is working in a less demanding setting. The detailing is again reminescent of Cell and Katamori's work.

While it's undoubtably easier than Deadly Exploitation, which proceeds this, you can get yourself in a tangle if you're unprepared for the traps and it's quite fun for a quick blast.

This one had a much less painful development process than Vaporizer's other map so I think of it more fondly partly because of this also.

I've been missing out on this one, been a bit busy map making. Might try and catch up at some point though

MAP08 - Sun-Station by Vaporizer
Short, very short but has enough violence in it to be a worthy challenge, in fact I died a couple of times. The map looks better than the effort for map06 and plays better too. Definitely a short and sweet level this one.
I swore a couple of times on this one due to terrible RNG, 3 rockets to kill a revenant, go away lady luck.

MAP08 - SUB-STATION

Very short level, but a good one. Looks nice and the blue key fight was pretty good, since it kept escalating - at first it just seems like some zombies to kill, then the baron comes in, then you notice the revenants and demons blocking your way... my only complaint is that it takes awhile to find the cavern to the blue key, since it's too dark to really see and the platform/slime area doesn't lend itself to aiming the player in the right direction.

For anyone playing consecutively I'd be interested in how you're getting on for ammo. My guess is you have plenty - especially shells, as there needed to be ample to cover pistol starters too.

@Mouldy: I hope you do get chance to play along, I'd be interested in your thoughts. At the moment, the maps are quite short so it's still feasible. Also, speaking of absent friends, where's the BoS?

mouldy said:
I've been missing out on this one, been a bit busy map making. Might try and catch up at some point though

You have that perfect DWMC record to keep up, so you better :)

purist said:
For anyone playing consecutively I'd be interested in how you're getting on for ammo. My guess is you have plenty

As of start of map09, I have 253 bullets, 96 shells, 11 rockets, 360 cells (but no plasma or bfg to use them). Though that's only on HMP. Still, there have been several levels I've left a lot of shells behind.

On the flipside, health/ammo have all been fine from pistol-starts, actually seems like armor is the rarest commodity (not unreasonably so, or anything). No real resource pressure of any kind, unless one happens to be the kind of player who feels completely naked without a shotgun and 32 shells within the first 60 seconds of play. All that's with me missing more secrets than I usually do, to boot.

09 - TERMINUS
...for a long time the train sped through seemingly endless tunnels before suddenly the end of the line appeared ahead and you hit the screeching brakes. You have not had any sort of sleep since being unconcious after jumping from the sewer but now the demonic voices have seeped into your waking mind. You don't know whether your sanity is slipping or this relates to your ever increasing proximity to the origin of Hell's new assualt.

The level at which you entered is the abandoned mine with each deeper level being increasingly bent by Hell's influence. At the lift's lowest level is unmined rock, and a river of molton lava with towering step-stones that you cross with some trepidation. Finally you reach a huge wooden door. You are certain that Hell and the Mastermind you hunt, lie somewhere behind it...

MAP09: While I was playing this it dawned on me that purist has a knack for making levels loop back around. Be it through hidden passageways, doorways, or windows, he always allows a view into different areas of the map, and its a personal touch I like. Gameplay wise, I didn’t find this as compelling as MAP04, but there were still a host of good moments throughout, particularly the revenant’s behind the blue key gate warping in behind the player and the nasty combination of minions in the blue key room. It’s hard to judge health and ammo playing consecutively, but I’d say coming in with 94 shells and leaving with 60 is a good thing. The ending was a tad disappointing, as I was excited to see what was at the bottom of the mineshaft to find a relatively unremarkable room with a large stone wall that can block any threatening projectiles. Was still fun nonetheless.

Also, unrelated to this, but I enjoyed the look of Hull Revealed quite a bit. I also love really claustrophobic, 64 wide hallways.

Map07 – Deadly Exploitation – by Cell – Kills – 100, Items – 96, Secrets – 80. Time 29:25. End Health 200, Armor 200. Death Count – 1

This is a fun map. The play area is very small and cramped, but Cell provides a tremendous amount of fighting by teleporting fresh monsters in to replace all the dead ones. Thus, you go from one end of the play area to the other several times, sorta like Virgil’s “De-Moon Side” in 2002:ADO, but for me Cell’s version was more fun.

The map is nothing beautiful to look at, and as Magnusblitz noted, there seems to be an over-abundance of textures. The miniscule “library” holding the Baron seemed remarkably inappropriate, given that it was off a cave. If I go spelunking in Mammoth Caverns, I am confident that I will never stumble upon a library down there. ;D

In spite of its beauty deficit, the map plays very well for this walking keyboarder. The crate room was quite fun, even though it was aggravating trying to make progress in its tight spaces. But more important were the multi-dimensional fights, with Cacos above, and Revvies and chaingunners below at two different height levels. I suffered my typical death-by-chaingunner in this room for the usual reason – while dodging a Revvie, I failed to note the chaingunner above me and was rapidly wasted. I probably would have suffered at least 2 more deaths in this map, except that when I got low in health I’d open a saved game and re-fight the battle until I got a better result.

Only two things really bugged me in this map. Anyone who was here last month knows that the best way to send SteveD into low earth orbit is to put something ridiculous in front of a switch. Cell did this very thing, dropping a box of shells in front of the switch in Sector 87. You know, when I was locked into a time capsule in the year 2000 as an example of Pithecanthropus doomus, I was assured that when I was released in the future, I’d find a whole new world of Doom peopled by advanced humanoids, rather than recent escapees from the primordial ooze such as myself. And these new, improved humans would show the benefit of years of Doom community knowledge and critique, and would never make players find a secret door to proceed, or have you arrive at a switch with 199 Health and find a Soulsphere in front of it, just before being forced to oil wrestle with 5 Cyberdemons. At least Cell only threw in a box of shells when I had 88 of them. Against this sin, he gave me a Plasma Gun and a Megasphere – too easily earned, IMO – so he’s partially forgiven.

The other thing was in Sector 2. After I opened the door at Sector 66, I was shocked by 2 Revvies and backed up – right into a Support2 pylon, where I became stuck and almost died. IMO, a case of player-hostile detailing.

Aside from these quibbles, this is a well-done map with fun fights, lots of infighting opportunities, and a nice view of a ship from the previous map for a sense of continuity. I liked it.

MAP09: TERMINUS

Another good map, exploring a combination rail station/cargo depot/cavern. Nothing too challenging (except for some sniper chaingunners in the blue key room) but a decent romp, and I did like the teleporting revenants by the blue bars. Also liked the plasma gun secret.

However, I felt like the map kinda fell apart after the blue key switch. It's not at all clear what the switch does - I ran through the entire rest of the level twice before figuring it out - especially since the placement of the teleporter means the player will probably go back through the teleporter rather than back to the big elevator. Also, the last room was an eyesore: white/black textures with that much blinking light... ow. And while I realize that the unmarked "hallway/door continues into the next level" exit is "in" right now, I really dislike it. Going up to what I think is a door only to have it end the level is really jarring and anti-climatic... give me EXIT signs and switches!

Map 08 -- Sub-Station - 100% Kills / 100% Secrets
A dark little cavern foray, not much bigger than map 02, and not as good-looking. I do think it's an improvement in the visual department on 'Hull Revealed', however, and that is because it has a lot more light variation. Light variation is a wonderful thing, especially when mappers aren't afraid of the dark--it can help many different types of area look fine without the need for very much structural detail. For example, I suspect that room with the central platform in the toxic waste would look rather bland if it were comfortably lit (note that I don't say "if it were well-lit"), but because it's not, it's more convincing in terms of the setting, and seems larger than it actually is (the partial view of the flesh mound with the rocket launcher secret helps too)...I do think that the juxtaposition of dirt and plating on the little staircases down into the ooze looks a bit off, though. I'm not really surprised to see Purist say that it's just a little pragmatic map to fill a gap in the story, as it certainly plays like it. However, I will say that if you are going to do a bite-sized map with only a handful of monsters in a larger mapset like this, I think an approach like the one Vaporizer has taken here is often advisable--that is, try to make that handful of monsters seem relevant. Here, this is done by throwing the lion's share of them into a single classic pincer-movement trap. It's true that it's basically just a 1.5 -fight map, but I think this is a better route to go than essentially making another map 02 in slot 08 (or slot 14, or slot 22, or whatever).

Map 09 -- Terminus - 100% Kills / 100% Secrets
I quite liked this one. It's a dingy metal rail/warehouse facility that, while never featuring any truly open spaces, generally doesn't feel particularly claustrophobic, although a few environmental hazards--crushing pistons, poison liquid, rock perches over a fall, etc.--make for some restraints on your movement capabilities at various points. At the outset, the map appears fairly non-linear, in that there are several different directions you can go in, but all but one of them quickly bumps into a red key door or other obstacle; oddly, though, in terms of armament, pistol-starters will still be better served in heading down one or more of the dead ends before following the correct path which leads to the red key. The red key room is a good example, I think, of what Purist seemed to be trying to do in this map: find ways to make small groups of monsters a credible threat. In this room, an environmental hazard--the aforementioned crushing pistons--are the key element in three different mini-fights. First, versus the zombies behind the back crusher, who are often shielded by the crushers until you can tag the well-placed barrels behind them; second, versus the imps entrenched in the murderholes who will have a good angle on you if you try to get the best angle on them; and last, versus the mancubus, whose bulk will almost immediately cramp your style with the deadly crushers at your back. It's not always environmental dangers per se, though, ala the revenants who phase behind you when you come upon the blue key bars, or the concentration of opposition in the tall storehouse where said key is found--while many of them are deaf and as such they are unlikely to all pile on you at once, they are placed so that the terrain favors them, like the commandos on the rear ledges, who have an angle high enough that they can sometimes hit you even if you take shelter behind many of the crates. All of this makes for a map that, while on the smaller side of medium, packs in enough variety to be memorable. As a side note, I quite liked the deceptively simple plasma rifle secret, although I think I saw a visual error within it--one of the lodes of ore near the bulk cell in the middle shaft appears to have a small HOM/texture error.

Map09
I liked the looks of this level, especially the railway sections, which were nicely realised. I liked the level of detail, too. Enough so that things didn't look bland and empty, but not so much that it interfered with gameplay. Said gameplay was also generally good. Not every fight was difficulty, but each had its own challenges and features. The blue key room was the centrepiece of this, as others have mentioned: a good fight with lots of variety to it.

So any complaints then? Unfortunately, yes. Two, both to do with level progression. And both already mentioned by others :)

The first is the blue key switch. It's really not obvious what this does, and the way the level is laid out, you're probably not going to find it quickly, since you'll teleport back upstairs and wander around, wondering what happened. I know I did :)

The second is the exit sequence, which is just a bit limp as an ending, really. This level needed a better send-off.

The blue switch didn't throw me off course. The story segment sort of vaguely implies what it does--it says "at the lift's lowest level is...." and then goes on to describe the exit sequence--but I think the reason doesn't have anything to do with the story, but probably because I was subconsciously reminded of a similar setup I'd seen in some other map(s). Come to think of it, isn't this idea sort of similar to (albeit much simpler than) the main shaft from Requiem's map 08?

Map08 – Substation – by Vaporizer – Kills – 100, Items – 0, Secrets – 100. Time 11:43. End Health 175, Armor 180. Death Count – Zero

Another enjoyable map. I too thought it looked much better than Hull Revealed, even though it used similar texturing themes. This one is really all about one nasty trap. And what a trap it was. First time through, the chaingunners – of course! – took me down to 33% health. I decided to fight the trap a few more times until I had it all figured out, and then I played a final time and only took a couple bullets. But it’s really the first time that counts, and it must be said, Vaporizer did a great job on this miniature blitzkrieg. I had a blast.

My end-map ammo count was 64 Bullets, 100 Shells, 9 Rockets and 97 Plasma Cells. I used a lot of plasma on the Baron at the trap, and took out the chaingunners with rockets.

Ammo at the start of MAP09: 400 bullets, 92 shells, 56 rockets, 400 cells.

MAP09 - Terminus by purist
Nice map but not too difficult. The layout is fine but felt the final route to the end needed a bit more punch. Going through the hellish caverns with just some low/mid tier monsters just didn't feel right. Utilising height variation or using flying monsters could help a lot here to be honest. Other wise good map.

Map09 – Terminus – by purist – Kills – 99, Items – 0, Secrets – 66. Time 33:12. End Health 99, Armor 179. Death Count – Zero

My favorite map so far. It’s right up my alley, being a biggish map with plenty to explore. It continues heavy use of the Metal2 family of textures seen in the last couple maps, and distinguishes itself by being exceptionally well-lit. As Demon said re Map08, when areas feature well-used gradient lighting, it reduces the need for wall detail. The gradient lighting also enhances the mood. purist does a good job with Concrete walls, and the crate room was a real highlight in both looks and play.

First thing I noticed was the nice use of height variation in the terminal, with overlooks that tempted you to jump into this or that area. In a way, rather Quake2-ish, which is always good in my book. I also found the Blue Armor secret immediately, but left it for later. The gigantic lift, and a couple other details, reminded me of the great Michael Krause, and – bragging here – from either “Do The Job” or “Go The Way,” I was one of Michael Krause’s playtesters, right up to the end. I even have an unfinished Krause map on an old Mac drive. IMO, Michael was one of the greatest-ever mappers in the Doom community, with a completely unique “love it or hate it” style and the ‘tude to go with it.

Back to this map. I enjoyed the fights even though I was never in deadly danger, but I came into this map with high health and armor and left with much less, which means I had plenty of run-‘n-gun fun. As usual, whenever I play Doom 2, it’s the Chaingunners, Revvies and Archies who wear me out, and this map had plenty of the first two. It seemed that I was always encountering Revvies in twos at unexpected times. Also, because I tend to use the shotgun more than the SSG, I once encountered two Revvies with just the single-barrel in my hands, which led to some desperate and damaging action. I believe that happened in the blue key area.

My favorite fight was in the crate room. You had the low Imps in the murder holes, the Chaingunners above, and Revvies and zombies on your plane. This is a real good challenge for walkers, though I did switch to “run like hell” mode when I surprised Revvies behind crates. I used up a lot of bullets in this battle. Once I finally reached the upper level, I was confronted with a PE and Cacos. The fun just never stops in this area! Also, as dobugabumaru noted, the map loops around, so you see into areas you won’t actually fight in for awhile, and when you finally get there, you can look back to where you were before, or, if you find the rocket launcher, walk back. This use of windows and looping is classic Knee Deep style and gives the feeling of a coherent installation.

I was among the players who teleported back upstairs after opening the blue gate, and it took awhile before I found the lower tunnel. Unlike some others, I liked the grand architecture of the big platforms, but I agree that the huge wooden door that becomes – surprise! -- an exit at the end was an unfortunate choice. But overall, this is an outstanding map, very fun for me to play.

End map ammo; 322 Bullets, 61 Shells, 5 Rockets and 97 Cells. Too bad I didn’t find the Plasma Gun and Cell Charge Pack. ;)

Oh, one more thing on "Terminus" - when the player first jumps into the mineshaft, there's a window to a room with two revenants and a spectre with a switch the player needs to shoot in order to proceed. The spectre is stuck in the wall right in front of the switch. What's the point? It seems like it was purposely stuck there, since even if it wasn't stuck in the wall it wouldn't be able to bite the player through the window, but placing a monster in front of the switch to encourage shooting the wall is... strange. (It's not as if the player will miss it, since there's nothing else to really do there).

Thanks for the ammo report guys. I thought there would be enough but started to doubt because of Laura Crofts play through on YouTube where she IDFA'd on MAP05 due to running out.

@Magnusblitz: The spectre is there to block shots from hitting the switch until the revenants are dead. It's not as fun fighting the revs after the lift has lowered so the spectre reduces the likelihood of that happening.

I'm surprised so many of you got lost after hitting the switch after the blue bars. If you didn't alert the revs earlier their teleport destination is one clue and the action is not located very far from the trigger. I suppose the teleport can mislead but that's just there so you can get back up.

I'll post my thoughts on this level tomorrow as I'm a bit tired right now.

I'd be interested to see the thoughts on MAP11.

Spoiler

Why are there no teleporters out of the lava?

10 - EXCAVATION SITE
...After you enter the door you reach a huge underground cavern, which shows some hell influence, but you don't have time for sightseeing because as soon as you enter, the demons start attacking you. You manage to deafeat them and head towards a door in the walls of the cave. What lies behind it is something you saw countless times already. The architecture looks human, although it's been drastically changed by hell, clearly they call this cave their home now.
You fight your way through the complex and see the bloody corpses of the miners who once worked there almost everywhere, their skin decorates the walls, and their blood makes rivers.

You find an opening in one of the walls, it has a wooden door and you know that you want whatever is inside it; this seems to be the place where hell started to take control, the architecture is different and you can see flesh under the floor, this time you're not dreaming (aren't you?). In top of a flesh pillar you can see a skull, the ones used to open locked doors. you lower the pillar and defeat the demons that teleport into the room.
While walking around the complex, you start wondering, was the UAC really just mining here? Was the encounter with the mastemind is really bad luck? Or is there something more to this whole invasion?

You soon forget about all those questions when you meet another of hell's "Welcome Parties" in another part of the cave. After kicking their demonic asses you find another skull key, You then proceed to use it and unlock a door near where you entered the cave. You fight your way to the remaining hellspawn and enter yet another hell built wooden area, although this time you see a huge hole in front of you. Against all common sense, you jump in...

MAP10: Right off the bat there’s a questionable design choice as monsters just pop into existence in front of the player. This would be remotely fine if there wasn’t a chaingunner that proceeds to stick his barrel up your ass behind you. This map is a dense, bumpy (sometimes to the detriment of the player), and interesting looking level, with some nice hellish influences thrown in across the site… the medikit immersed in blood was my favorite touch.

Gameplay-wise it’s not really gripping, as there’s a constant use of monsters immediately appearing and the high beast count in new rooms means that you’re going to be shooting most of them from a distance (or play a big game of “ring around the rosie” as is the case with the final cavern battle). Oddly enough, there are optional areas that feature more intriguing battles—the yellow key walkway-into-box was the best trap in the whole map, so its disappointing to me that many could easily miss it playing through the map. One other touch I liked was the combination of brown and ash rock textures, as I didn’t think putting them together could produce such an interest cave style. Enjoyable map nonetheless, hampered by some odd design quirks (like the lack of an exit sign… Magnusblitz must be loving this)

Oh, and there’s weird HOM in the elevator that kept popping up in ZDoom.

Map10
I don't like insta-appearing monsters, and/or monsters rising out of apparently solid floors. I can accept the latter if the flat is a liquid, but otherwise they both just make me roll my eyes.

So I rolled my eyes a few times in this level. But I still overall liked it.

Interestingly, after I opened the red door, I could see the monsters in their hidden pits. Not sure why that was. It warned me to switch to the RL in preparation for the revenants, though :)

The level had strong visual design, especially in the cave, which - dark though it was - looked great. The wood and brick sections also looked good, though I'm not impressed by the elevator, which I probably was meant to be. Engine gimmickry doesn't really do much for me.

Gameplay was ok-good, except the insta-appearing monsters and overuse of teleporting. It's fine to teleport large numbers of monsters into a level, just don't use the trick over and over again in separate instances on the level. Have a monster closet, of just put out more monsters to start with. Vary things up.

Personally, I'd have revised the blue key room. Three waves of teleporting monsters was pretty tiresome. Drop the two waves from the switches and instead have the areas to the left and right of the key open up when it is grabbed. That creates monsters on all sides of the player and one massive melee instead of three small, fairly dull ones.

The optional fights when you go down the yellow key route were probably the best executed 'monsters teleport in' encounters of the level. Like dobugabumaru suggests, this encounter should probably have been on the main route, instead.

I knew monsters would spawn in when I opened the blue door, so I turned and ran off the cliff when it did and let them infight. Then, once the upper level was pretty cleared out, I ran back up, shanked some ammo, and sprinted into the exit. This is what happens when you overuse a technique in a map :)